Engine code 08 - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 3-2-19, 13:59 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

Engine code 08

Hey hows it going everybody, well here's the story. Drove my 89 gt 6 about 50 miles from home car ran perfect, it's in mint condition, went inside a store came outside started the car up, it idled up an then died, restarted same thing only didnt die but started to surge old thru the rpms, 250pms kick back up to like 1000 drop down for about 10 secs then check engine light came on an it smoothed out. I could drive the car home but in total limp mode, engine doesn't even wanna go above 3k rpms an will not let you make boost. So ever since every time I start up the car it immediately throws code 08. I swapped out another maf an it throws the same code just as fast, once code is thrown you can unplug the maf an the engine idle doesnt change. If you plug one in with the engine running it immediately dips in the rpms throws the code an corrects itself. Normally my vacuum would read like 21, now is about 18-19
But the engine throws code so quick I dont if Theres a vacuum leak causing everything or if that's just a by product of whatever is throwing the engine code. Ive search for a leak an sprayed everything down with carb an choke cleaner with no results. What in the heck could it
be? Any input would be cool thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 3-2-19, 15:15

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Power: 5

Sound similar?

https://www.mx6.com/#/topics/280314

Zoom -----------------________
_Zoom____----=+_.''/_|__d>____
_Zoom_----___[\mazda...| -__ \ GT__ L\
Zoom___--__--\___(@)...|____.|..(@)._''
RIP SixSick6
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 3-2-19, 17:39

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Check itís not something stupid like a broken wire right at the connector. I had a Mazda 3 throw a MAF error and would only run on the limp map. While in the process of swapping the MAF with a junkyard one, I saw that was the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 3-3-19, 2:28 Thread Starter

Hi blackmx6 no that not anything similar to mine, money is exactly how I described it but thank you.

Hi onewingangel I have wiggled all the wires with the engine running hooked up not hooked besides actually cutting the rubber boot around the connector to check the wires I have inspected.

It's very weird how it happened in an instant, the car was just running perfect drove 50 miles parked it, went inside 40 mins came outside problems. Makes no sense. I will continue to try an diagnose thanks for the help.

If the engine is running is there a certain ohms the would read at the factory connector to see possibly if theres something wrong in the wiring?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 3-3-19, 3:52

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

No problem man, what state are you from? Anything wet under the hood? Just a thought because once I had a similar problem, ended up being my igniter connector having a bit of water due to rain.

Zoom -----------------________
_Zoom____----=+_.''/_|__d>____
_Zoom_----___[\mazda...| -__ \ GT__ L\
Zoom___--__--\___(@)...|____.|..(@)._''
RIP SixSick6
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 3-3-19, 11:21

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

After looking at the wiring diagram this is my best guess as to the pinout of the VAF connector, but I could be way off in the rhubarb with this.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 3-3-19, 13:06 Thread Starter

Hi blackmx6 I'm located in Wa state about 2 hrs north of seattle. Nope no water was a beautiful day.

Hi onewingangel, for looking into this I will check out the wiring compared to your pics an see what I can solve. I'm definitely not a newbie to these cars this is my 3rd one only this one is built, I'm just trying to solve this issue before I hook up my adaptronics m1200 standalone either way the ecu will be hooked up soon an I will not have to deal with the maf crap ever again lol. Thanks for the help

Barney
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 3-3-19, 16:05 Thread Starter

Ok so found something interesting. I unplugged the maf I turned the key to on ON pos an you can hear a humming noise that sounds like it's coming through the top of the intake manifold
so I took a screw driver an started listening around kinda sounded like it was coming from
Near the throttle body, so I started typing lightly an you could hear the buzzing stopped but made an new noise, only when tapping an I could see on my fpr that when I would tap on the intake manifold,throttle body,or the Idle speed control valve(I think that's
What the device that's mounted to the back of the throttle body) it would send fuel as long as I would tap for, now this is super weird to me. So theres 3 connectors mounted at the base of the throttle body, the red an black wire with white wire connector I unplugged an the buzzing stopped, starts when plugged in, so could the unit or sensor just have fizzled out an that's the issue? Makes me wanna Change that thing out, I have a spare. Any was though that was interesting whata yall think?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 3-3-19, 16:13 Thread Starter

Just went an checked when the key is turned on an you plugged back in the maf the buzzing noise goes away an is a faint humming noise but you tap anywhere on the intake manifold or that unit that's mounted on the firewall side an it ls sending fuel to my fpr, like almost 40 psi just a small bursts. Wierd.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 3-7-19, 23:05

1st Gen GT Erratic Idling

Barney:
To coin a phrase, you "hit" on the MOST likely cause of low and high idle. It's LESS likely you have MAF issues or Ignitor troubles. The idle speed control (ISC) and BAC have a plunger/piston inside the ISC that is designed to move up or down and adjust air flow minutely. It is sensitive and does not like dirt. Old coolant is the usual suspect. A sticking plunger will absolutely cause erratic idling. What causes the sticking? Usually, it is dirty coolant run far too long that, together with other non-sequitor chems from Oreilly's/Autozone, cause the sensitive anti-friction coating (rosy pink teflon) on the idle piston to rub inside its cylinder. Even changing the coolant after the damage was done will not necessarily fix the symptom. The fix (which I'm sure has been discussed in previous MX6.com years) is to remove throttle body; then, remove BAC and ISC combo; then, separate those two; then, clean clean, clean. Did I mention clean?? DO NOT USE ABRASIVEs on the plunger. DO NOT use Silicone or oils or ANYthing else on it when reassembling. DO TRUST the slippery anti-friction factory coating. Per Mazda factory manual there are no "owner servciceable" parts, but we know better. . Instead, says the factory, replace the ISc or BAC combo. Right? NO ! Clean its internals. Tips: The one-way screws holding ISC onto BAC must be removed with a vise grip one millimeter at a time. Plan on discardng those several factory screws, thus, before disassembly, buy new metric ones with normal phillips heads. You will also need a of tube gasket sealer. Hylomar Universal Blue (spelling?) works best. Apropos gaskets, be EXTRA CAREFUL when pulling apart the ISC and BAC because there are two gaskets that are difficult to clone if ripped. Note, too, the EXACT order of the plunger, springs, semi-hard round gaskets, etc. Clean, clean clean. Oh yes, I did mention clean, didn't I ?. Clean again. NO sandpaper or steel wool on internal parts. Reassemble everything as if you were the original assembler following Mazda engineer instructions. Just say "no" to clever modification ideas... unless you want to do it all over again and again. Otherwise, follow generally accepted best pactices for installation, ensuring no sensor wires are broken/frayed. Of course, you will want to ensure the coolant is tip top, lest the same malaise afflict your steed once again. Hope this helps. If Engine Code 08 is the true source of all your issues, I humbly apologize for this post. Sajo
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 3-27-19, 1:21 Thread Starter

Hi sajo, thanks for the response, I do not believe that its coolant or that it would be in my situation because its brand new an has been since I've completely rebuilt everything 6k miles ago. It's very interesting that all I did was swap out the ecu for the adaptronics m1200 an no issues whats so ever. So now I lmao finally ready to get the engined tuned after all this time will keep everyone posted shooting for 350-400whp will see what happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page