1989 Mazda MX-6 GT AAS 2WS Tight Steering - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 4-7-19, 21:37 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

1989 Mazda MX-6 GT AAS 2WS Tight Steering

Alright my fellow MX-6 peeps, this is going to be a novel, but please read it all; I need some help. I am at my end trying to figure this one out on my own. Was driving the car over 2 years ago when the sheriff suddenly tightened up. Thought it was the pump, so changed it, but nothing. Tried 3 other pumps, and no change. Changed the pump and steering rack together and still no change. Tried a reman rack, and a donor rack. None of this worked.

So, found a 1990 donor with 105K miles and the steering was great; got it cheap due to it being an auto and the tranny was gome. So, changed the ENTIRE power steering system because I was afraid that debris or the inside of the rubber tubing may have liberated and contaminated the system, and every time I changed a part, the bad part of the system was ruining the newly installed parts.

So, I literally swapped everything, the reservoir, the rack, the high pressure and low pressure return lines, the cooler lines in the wheel well, the pump (didn’t disconnect the fitting from the pump because it wasn’t leaking before being removed). Bled the system while jacked, turning it 20 times stop-to-stop while off (tried it with it on about a year ago and the pump whined bad when I went stop-to-stop with the engine running). Lowered it, turned it stop to stop again (super hard), and the fluid was going down whether the engine was in and turning the pump or off (I bled the system the same way I did my NA 2.2L MX-6). Is there a different way to do the GT power steering with the Auto Adjusted Suspension (AAS)? Adjusted the drive belt tighter and looser and no still no change.

I have literally changed everything but the steering wheel bearing and the coupler on the end of the steering shaft; both turn fine when jacked. I have zero idea what to do next. Either I’m not doing something right when I bleed it, or there is something else I’m not thinking of. I even swapped tires and over inflated my winters to see if it was them resisting turning. Need some help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 4-8-19, 10:54

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Power: 5

There are two types of steering systems on these cars, one is engine speed sensing power steering (ESPS)
the other is electronically controlled power steering (ECPS).

Based on the fact your GT has AAS it most likely has ECPS type steering system.

This means your steering rack has a solenoid valve on it. There should be an electronic controller for the power steering system under your drivers seat.
The first thing you can try is adjusting the controller setting, there is a slide switch with 3 positions, H central L, for softer steering set it to L.

There is a good chance this does nothing based on your symptoms and what you have changed it's either the controller that failed or a wiring issue between the controller under the seat and the solenoid valve on the rack.

Both ESPS and ECPS steering systems are designed to stiffen steering the faster you go, ECPS also stiffens the steering more when the AAS is set to sport mode.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mazdacarnage
BUILD IT, BEAT IT, BREAK IT, REBUILD IT, BEAT IT MORE, BREAK IT AGAIN, BUILD IT BETTER, BEAT IT THE MOST AND ?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 4-11-19, 18:21

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I'll go a different direction. How are the strut bearings? If you're a manual transmission, the strut mounts sometimes don't have the spacer for the bearing to make proper contact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 4-13-19, 13:58

Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
I'll go a different direction. How are the strut bearings? If you're a manual transmission, the strut mounts sometimes don't have the spacer for the bearing to make proper contact.
True but the power steering when working properly is strong enough to turn the strut plate with seized bearings. If they are really bad you can feel a popping or grinding feed back in the steering wheel but I have had some so seized I could barely turn the strut by hand with the car off the ground and everything undone at the hub, was rebuilding the transmission when I tried to turn the strut/hub out of my way and realized the strut mount bearing was completely shot. There was no symptoms or steering issues at the steering wheel, finished the transmission rebuild and continued driving the car on the seized bearing.

I am pretty sure his solenoid valve is not allowing pressure into the rack. I don't know if it's a normally opened of normally closed valve. But the solenoid valve could be confirmed or ruled out as the problem by jumping it depending on the type of valve it is. Normally opened would just require unplugging the rack and pinion wire harness connection. Normal closed would require connecting 12v to the rack and pinion side of the wire harness plug.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mazdacarnage
BUILD IT, BEAT IT, BREAK IT, REBUILD IT, BEAT IT MORE, BREAK IT AGAIN, BUILD IT BETTER, BEAT IT THE MOST AND ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List