post #46 of 448 (permalink) Old 9-20-10, 21:50
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMx-6
I got to have my a/c, I live in texas. No Heat I may be able to deal with, but it will get really cold on long trips. I plan on driving this car at least 5 hours away.
I had this nasty b16 CRX turbo when I lived in Houston - no A/C, no heat. I also had a girlfriend that hated the fact that it didnt have either. Those were the good'ol days street racing on Westheimer circa 1998.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 448 (permalink) Old 9-20-10, 22:19 Thread Starter

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Power: 5

Garage
Haha, thats actually pretty cool six. But I'm spoiled when it comes to a/c & power steering. PS is more of a safety issue though.

Mx-7 Project reborn! -F2T in a FC RX-7 (400hp?)
post #48 of 448 (permalink) Old 9-20-10, 22:30 Thread Starter

Garage
oh and Ive been lazy about making updates but I'm in manual transmission class now so I decided to totally rebuild my transmission while I was at it.

I also picked up a evo 8 turbo, evo 9 intercooler and a greddy blow off valve. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow.

here is the thread on it
https://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-for...turbo-f2t.html

yeah I know this project is going super slow but I haven't forgot about it and I plan on finishing it.

Last edited by DarkMx-6; 9-20-10 at 22:51.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 448 (permalink) Old 9-22-10, 0:08 Thread Starter

Garage
I wonder if anyone is still watching this?

Well I have some new developments.

If you read before I mentioned that the rx7 transmission input shaft was shorter than the b2200. And so I had my reservations on how well it will work, if at all since it didn't spline in correctly.
While I was rebuilding my transmission at school I noticed that the input shaft just pops out of the rest of the mainshaft.
So the obvious question was can I replace it with the b2200 input shaft?
I proceeded to bring yet another mazda transmission to class (I now have 3 there) and count the teeth on the gears to see if they matched up.
To my excitement they have exactly 21 or 22 teeth I forgot what it was but they matched up perfectly. I quickly swapped out the input shaft and now I'm putting my transmission back together.

will try to get some pictures soon.

It seems like everything in mazda's late 80s early 90s rear wheel drive transmissions are interchangeable. I have a classmate that is breaking down a miata transmission and it looks very similar. I bet I could swap stuff out if i wanted to.
When I brought my rx7 transmission with the b2200 bell to class he thought it was a miata transmission. I was comparing the b2200 bell and the miata bell and it is very similar. Could It be possible that a f2t could bolt up to a miata transmission with out any mods? I know your not going to be able to use all the bolts but may be just enough to make it work?

An interesting fact is that the miata transmission has a synchronized reverse. so no grinding reverse while moving in that car. Too bad for me I don't have that.

post #50 of 448 (permalink) Old 9-22-10, 0:18

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMx-6 View Post
Could It be possible that a f2t could bolt up to a miata transmission with out any mods? I know your not going to be able to use all the bolts but may be just enough to make it work?

An interesting fact is that the miata transmission has a synchronized reverse. so no grinding reverse while moving in that car. Too bad for me I don't have that.
Yep, it sure could be possible. And even if not.... i'm reasonably sure that you could use the B2200 bellhousing with Miata internals and Miata output shaft for easy dumpage of an F2T in a Miata. I've done some half-assed research on the subject. I'm hoping that my motor outlives my car and i have the chance to put it in a miata or an old RWD 626/929.

“One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.”

— Jeremy Clarkson
post #51 of 448 (permalink) Old 9-22-10, 0:23 Thread Starter

Garage
If you want I can take the b2200 bell and put it up against his miata transmission I almost 100% sure it will just bolt up.
I don't know if the input shafts are the same though. It looks really similar to the b2200's.

Even if they are different I bet they can just be swapped out.

post #52 of 448 (permalink) Old 9-22-10, 0:33

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMx-6 View Post
If you want I can take the b2200 bell and put it up against his miata transmission I almost 100% sure it will just bolt up.
I don't know if the input shafts are the same though. It looks really similar to the b2200's.

Even if they are different I bet they can just be swapped out.
They should be nearly the same internally. When they made the Miata, they took a lot of cues in the transmission from the B2200 because it was already out there, it was strong enough, and not terribly heavy. Why make a whole new unit? I asked the same question on GRM.com and they said that the Miata trans will actually take a ton more power than most people think they do, and for the same reason, if one were to make an F2T B2200, you shouldn't worry about the trans or the rear end shitting the bed unless you were looking at truly insane power.

“One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.”

— Jeremy Clarkson
post #53 of 448 (permalink) Old 9-22-10, 9:02

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

So you're using a B2200 bell and an RX-7 NA transmission. Are you not using the full B2200 transmission because the RX7 transmission body is substantially smaller? Is there a possibility you could take comparison pictures of the transmissions?

Looks like you can pick up a B2200 transmission for around $150 from junkyard, in my area at least. I expect RX-7 (even NA) transmissions would be more.

Also, what clutch have you decided to go with?.. is it the B2200 clutch? You had mentioned picking up a clutch from AZ in post 34, but don't think it was clear which one you went with.

Which flywheel? Did you check for B2200 (assumed from bell housing) starter engagement with the flywheel?

Jeff ~ 1995 PGT ZE-T MSnS-E v3 (317whp @ 8.5psi / 275whp @ 5.5psi)
PARTING A LOT OF 2g and 1g STUFF
FS: Borla for sale.
FS: Clear headlight covers, headlight, fog, tail, gauge cluster
90 PGT MTX with 97k original miles!
post #54 of 448 (permalink) Old 9-22-10, 16:41

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

i am still watching this. i sold my FC but will eventually do this project when i get the time.

89 MX-6 GT - for sale
1990 BMW 535i - Never Ending project
2002 BMW 330i - Daily Driver
1995 BMW 325i - Drift Project eBay E36
1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Budget Boost, 31" Retreads - Other Daily Driver
post #55 of 448 (permalink) Old 9-22-10, 19:01 Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastest95PGT View Post
So you're using a B2200 bell and an RX-7 NA transmission. Are you not using the full B2200 transmission because the RX7 transmission body is substantially smaller? Is there a possibility you could take comparison pictures of the transmissions?

Looks like you can pick up a B2200 transmission for around $150 from junkyard, in my area at least. I expect RX-7 (even NA) transmissions would be more.

Also, what clutch have you decided to go with?.. is it the B2200 clutch? You had mentioned picking up a clutch from AZ in post 34, but don't think it was clear which one you went with.

Which flywheel? Did you check for B2200 (assumed from bell housing) starter engagement with the flywheel?
I used the rx7 transmission because I heard it would have better gears. I guess I should ask; Doesn't the rx7 transmission have better gears?
Also I didn't want to mess with the chance of the rear housing not matching up with the drive shaft. but apparently if that was a problem i Bet I could have switched them out. There are some small differences though between the transmissions, that may give you some problems if you want to change the rear housing. Like the shifters are different between the b2200/rx7/miata. Not just the part you move in the passenger compartment. I'm talking about where the shifter meets the shift rods. I'll have to get a picture.

I went with a b2200 / n/aMX-6. because they all use the same clutch.
As for the flywheel I bought a Fidanza n/a mx6 flywheel once again because they said it was the same flywheel for the truck too. Not 100% on that but we will see. I think it will work itself out.

Starter engagement is still a big question mark, but seeing as everything else just swaps out I hope I can find something that will work.
I have yet to test fit a starter. I may have to do what gavin did and move one of the ears on the starter so it will work.

i got some crappy pictures but will try to get more tomorrow.
Here is my transmission as it sits now. Its waiting for me to put the speedo gear on and then start putting the housing back on.

Rx7 input shaft (top) b2200 input shaft on rx-7 transmission. I know the gear on it doesn't really look the same but the gears on both of them are the same. Just the input shaft is obviously different.

better picture of the b2200 input on the rx7 tranny

I had to almost completely tear down the b2200 transmission just to get the input shaft out, so its in pieces. along with my spare rx7 transmission.

I was pretty sure I had comparison pictures of the b2200 and Rx7 transmission in this thread. I can re-post them if need be.

I test fit the b2200 bell on the miata transmission. all the bolts and bearings and it looked like it lined up perfectly. I didn't fully put it in place because I would have to take a big rubber mallet and start waling on it to get it to go down. If you want I can get pictures of this tomorrow.

post #56 of 448 (permalink) Old 9-22-10, 20:42

keep in mind, the n/a rx7 transmissions arent exactly the strongest things. the rx7 has no discernible torque output. throwing the torque of the F2T at it might have some undesired results.

89 MX-6 GT - for sale
post #57 of 448 (permalink) Old 9-22-10, 20:46

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

truck gears are very low and wide...there's some info about the ratio's in the fe3 forum, I think. If I can find it, I'll link it
post #58 of 448 (permalink) Old 9-22-10, 21:28 Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuJe5ter View Post
keep in mind, the n/a rx7 transmissions arent exactly the strongest things. the rx7 has no discernible torque output. throwing the torque of the F2T at it might have some undesired results.
You may be right, but since it is the same basic design the as the b2200, just with different gears I would think it would be able to hold up to the challenge. The b2200 isn't exactly a torque monster ether.

this is from Mazda B2200 Truck Specifications - Mazdatruckin.com
b2200
Power

85.0 hp @ 4500 rpm (2bbl)
91.0 hp @ 4500 rpm (PFI)
Torque
118 ft lbs @ 2500 rpm

rx7
from CarBuddy.com.au - Car Specifications - 1986 MAZDA RX7
has Max. Torque: 194Nm
» Max. Power: 110kW

what does that convert to 146 ft-tq?

I would say the rx7 transmission is probably stronger even in its non-turbo form.

post #59 of 448 (permalink) Old 9-22-10, 21:29

i didnt mean vs the b2200. i meant that i'd be looking for a TII transmission instead of the n/a one.

89 MX-6 GT - for sale
post #60 of 448 (permalink) Old 9-22-10, 21:38 Thread Starter

Garage
Oh I see, yeah that wouldn't be a bad idea. But seeing that I got the transmission for 75 bucks I don't really see me going wrong.
If I break this transmission I guess I'll have to get a turbo II transmission.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page