Custom O2 Housing - Page 7 - Mazda MX-6 Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 523 (permalink) Old 2-19-13, 6:26

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

I just ordered one for $175. Super jazzed about it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 523 (permalink) Old 2-20-13, 1:16

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Power: 5

[quote=gavin;2405226]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjspiess View Post
Sajo just sent me an email stating he got his on Saturday.

He said it is a lovely piece of work!

In a few days, Gavin is going to be examining the device, ergo, etc. so watch for commentary in the coming weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I know nothing....but I will in a couple days

Gavin
So I met with Sajo (Steven) a couple of weeks ago to do an exploratory run at a local junkyard (two 90 5-door 626GTs and a 91 DX) and he brought along a box to show me.....hmm, so whats in the box?

The first things that struck me about the housing were...the weight, the welding and the fitment of the individual components used to make the unit.

Mind you, I am not a welder or a structural/materials engineer, but I have an eye for detail and enough practical experience engineering parts and working with craftsmen to get the products I need. I think from that I can recognize the markings of what makes a quality item.....or not.

Weight... not a bad thing for an item thats going to need to endure the heat/heat cycling on the hot side of the turbo without cracking prematurely. I didnt measure the thickness of the tubing, but Id assume 14ga stainless steel and that should be plenty durable.

The flanges were about 3/8" (maybe 1/2") or so. The cheezy flatedge said the edges were flat and without warpage, which speaks well of the welding and fixtures used......speaking of welding

Welding....Good stuff. TIG welding throughout.The welds were clean, without contamination, consistent in spacing (puddle to puddle), excellent penetration, nothing looked to be undercut (welds under the surface) and there was little excessive filler.

Its the little things that matter here and this is where a skilled craftsman shows his chops....consistency comes from hours of practice, attention to detail and cleanliness in preparation, getting 100% penetration and fine control of heat migration to the surrounding area. Cumulatively this attention to procedure adds to the strength of the welds and the overall product. To blend all of these aspects together successfully shows that the welder is of a high degree of skill. (the merge between the wastegate tube and the main body makes a tight angle...the welding in this narrow confine is pretty impressive)

Fitment....this goes to preparation procedure (garbage in = garbage out). The joints of the individual pieces were very well fitted together to minimize excessive gaps, lips or awkward angles. All of that can mean a lot of PITA hand fitting, but its worth it in the end as that tighter fitment means less filler is needed a stronger weld can be gained and overall better strength in the product.

My conclusions (on this one item) are that this is a very well done product. I liked what I saw and didnt find anything questionable in the O2 housing (materials or assembly) that would leave me to believe it would not be durable under the heat and stress given by the hot side of the turbo. BUT...does it fit?? I do not know as I did not see it installed, but I imagine the fitment should be as good as the effort made in its assembly....It does look like the "5 o-clock" bolt may be a bit of a pain to deal with (a smaller hex head nut may be needed), but otherwise thats about it.

Gavin
post #93 of 523 (permalink) Old 2-20-13, 3:17

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I have to agree with Gavin on all points, and I have done fabrication and TIG welding before. The only minor downside I can see is where the pipe joins the lower flange, quite a protrusion there on one side, but I don't really see how it could have been done better. It probably wouldn't have any effect on the efficiency, but a touch up with a file should fix most of that anyway. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this housing to anyone, quality is good and putting it side by side with the original shows the vastly superior flow that this will have.

1991 MX6 Turbo 4WS back on the road again after 5 years.
1990 4WD Capella Wagon2.0 FE3 now tin cans.
1988 4WD Capella Hatch 2.0 FE3 DD
1989 MX- FE-DOHC Unleaded High Compression engine.

Last edited by gbilski; 2-20-13 at 3:21.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 523 (permalink) Old 3-3-13, 23:42

Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Before I blow my load and finally put a down payment on this thing, can I get a conformation that they are still available?

Just want to make double sure, thanks.

91' MX-6 LX-T@12Psi
Fast stuff: VF12/VJ11 Hybrid/Valve Springs/ColtCam/Fidanza FW/O2Housing/Mjspiess 2.5 Downpipe/Walbro 225/Bosh DRI Injectors/MSD 6AL/ATX TB
Stiff stuff:Yonaka Coilovers/ADDCO F+R/Links/Bushings/Dutch FSTB/RSTB/"HondaKiller" Tie-Bar/225-45 BFG KDWs/SS lines/M6 front brakes
post #95 of 523 (permalink) Old 3-3-13, 23:49 Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Yep, they are still available. One was delivered last week to a member on PerformanceProbe & he finished up another this weekend for Chris Ferguson. It should be delivered this week.
post #96 of 523 (permalink) Old 3-3-13, 23:55

Awesome!

Sending payment now.

91' MX-6 LX-T@12Psi
Fast stuff: VF12/VJ11 Hybrid/Valve Springs/ColtCam/Fidanza FW/O2Housing/Mjspiess 2.5 Downpipe/Walbro 225/Bosh DRI Injectors/MSD 6AL/ATX TB
Stiff stuff:Yonaka Coilovers/ADDCO F+R/Links/Bushings/Dutch FSTB/RSTB/"HondaKiller" Tie-Bar/225-45 BFG KDWs/SS lines/M6 front brakes
post #97 of 523 (permalink) Old 3-4-13, 11:45 Thread Starter

Just verified payment was received!
post #98 of 523 (permalink) Old 3-9-13, 1:01

Too soon to ask how it's doing?

Oh gosh, I would just die seeing a picture of it being made..

91' MX-6 LX-T@12Psi
post #99 of 523 (permalink) Old 3-10-13, 17:13 Thread Starter

Yeah, a little too soon. He's been working 60+ hour weeks. He's going to try and tackle them in the next couple of days.
post #100 of 523 (permalink) Old 3-10-13, 21:11

No problem, thanks for the update.

91' MX-6 LX-T@12Psi
post #101 of 523 (permalink) Old 3-26-13, 21:52

Quoted: 99 Post(s)

Garage
Can I still get one?

Mx-7 Project reborn! -F2T in a FC RX-7 (400hp?)
post #102 of 523 (permalink) Old 3-27-13, 0:51 Thread Starter

Yes, you can still order one. He's just been slow on getting them made though due to 60+ hour work weeks. He's still working on Leev's. Hopefully he'll be done soon with his. Marshall, the fabricator, & I really do appreciate the patience. So, thanks again Leev as this is going on 4 weeks now from the day of payment. Rather than being frustrated, you've shown nothing but excitement! I'm telling you, it's worth waiting for
post #103 of 523 (permalink) Old 3-27-13, 17:22

Quoted: 99 Post(s)

Garage
I want 2 how much shipped to 76031

Mx-7 Project reborn! -F2T in a FC RX-7 (400hp?)
post #104 of 523 (permalink) Old 3-27-13, 23:40 Thread Starter

They are $175 shipped, so $350 total. Sending you a PM shortly with contact info.
post #105 of 523 (permalink) Old 3-28-13, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjspiess View Post
Rather than being frustrated, you've shown nothing but excitement! I'm telling you, it's worth waiting for

Never bite the hand that feeds.

91' MX-6 LX-T@12Psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page