LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 8-7-19, 13:16 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

Upgrade and FE to 2.2L

Hello,

I have the 92 Colombian version of the MX6 which is known here as the 626 GLX. It's N/A and came with the FE 12-valve SOHC engine. Due to legal/bureaucratic reasons it's not easy to do complete engine swaps here nor are there F2 or other engines that will fit readily available.

I was wondering if I can improve the FE engine by swapping the crankshaft, piston rods, and pistons, with those from an F2 engine, and thus make it into a 2.2L. Does anyone know if it will work? If so, other than changing the timing, will any other adjustments need to be made?

I was hoping to get some insights before going through the expense of trying it.

Cheers,

-Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 8-9-19, 10:26

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Power: 5

Fe and F2 part are not interchangeable with information i see on multiple site

Ford Focus RS 2018 Red Race
Ford Escape 3.0L 2008
Mazda Mx6 GT 1991
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 8-10-19, 23:54

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Your best bet would be to turbo your fe and make due with that engine. There are likely parts kits out on the web fort that engine. F2 and FE are different spec'd engines. Different parts im pretty sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 8-15-19, 19:56 Thread Starter

Hi. Yeah, some of the parts are different, but they seem to share the the same block and bore size. The training docs that I was reading say that they changed the piston design, the piston rods and the crankshaft from the original FE engine. I get the feeling that if I take my FE engine and swap cylinder head, crankshaft, piston rods, and pistons, it should work. Can't think of a reason why it wouldn't, but I don't consider myself thoroughly knowledgeable either, so it's likely that I'm wrong, but I was hoping somebody would have already tried it or tell me more precisely why it won't work.

The following is text from the training manual when the MX6 came out with the F2 engine. The manual also says that the pistons, crankshaft, cylinder head, and piston rods are not interchangeable, but I think they mean it individually because if you change the crankshaft, then the old piston rods won't work, etc. However if you change the whole group of parts that mesh with each other, they should work together. It says that the piston rings are interchangeable and so are the piston pins and crank pin bearing:

OUTLINE OF CONSTRUCTION
The New 626 is equipped with an F2 2.2liter engine. This engine is based on the previous 626 FE
engine, with increased displacement. The engine features three valves per cylinder and a new timing
belt layout.
Main Changes:
.1. The piston stroke is increased for greater displacement
2, Intake and exhaust efficiency is improved through the use of two smaller rntake valves and one
larger exhaust valve per cylinder, for an increase of total valve area.
3. The timing belt layout is changed for improved durability and noise reduction.
4. A stiffener is used between the cylinder block and the oil pan to lessen noise and improve performance.
R The cylinder block and crankshaft strength is improved to meet the higher power output.
6. Hydraulic lash adjusters are used to reduce noise, thus the valve clearance is made maintenance-free.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 8-15-19, 19:59 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanpac_tupac View Post
Your best bet would be to turbo your fe and make due with that engine. There are likely parts kits out on the web fort that engine. F2 and FE are different spec'd engines. Different parts im pretty sure
Yeah, I would like to turbo it, but I'm having a hard time hardened parts that will tolerate the boost. Don't think the stock stuff would take much without trashing the engine.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 8-15-19, 21:08

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I dont understand if you only want to keep engine block and not swap all engine complete. If you change head you need to change head cover too and they are easy to see you have change part on your engine. More difficult to check if block have be changed compare to head

Ford Focus RS 2018 Red Race
Ford Escape 3.0L 2008
Mazda Mx6 GT 1991
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 8-16-19, 9:46 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodchildren View Post
I dont understand if you only want to keep engine block and not swap all engine complete. If you change head you need to change head cover too and they are easy to see you have change part on your engine. More difficult to check if block have be changed compare to head
I checked the manual again for block information and it says that they also increased the block height from the FE to the F2, so I guess it definitely won't work. The added block height provides the additional clearance required for the longer stroke, otherwise the piston will just probably smash against the valves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List