Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Comments on: 4WS Probe

34K views 89 replies 21 participants last post by  d0zxmustang 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#3 ·
sorry to tell you, but it wont swap into a non 4ws car. the rear and chassis is different to support the 4ws box.
Ive explained all that to him, but he still insists he can make it work.:shrug:

THough just the fact that you will need to use the Mx6 gauge cluster and ALL the wiring from the car to swap into the Probe should have deterred him from trying to undertake the project.

#4 ·
theres a lot that would need to be done, even more on the probe. besides the rear ends are completely different, youll need to fit both racks, some how make the gas tank and both fuel pumps fit (and the transfer pump control unit), electronics, extra sensors, ect.

sorry, it cant be done without a fuck load of modding/fabricating/ect. and even then 4ws isn't worth it. its a decent feature, but its not that great.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Why not do it? I have everything here, and will have the bragging rights...nothing a little welding cant fix IF theres a differance...has anyone acually took everything out and looked to see what is differant about the mounting?...And for wiring, there isnt that much...look at the shop manual scans....If it is, so what, its not that hard to pull teh carpet and some wires....And the cluster, why? Like i cant take the 4ws steer light and mount it into a probe cluster? theres extra spots on the probes with nothing to go there...

And defiler, you have not once stated anything about the frame being differant on PP.com....

Rear knuckles, rotors, swaybars, trailing arms, etc etc etc... sure you could swap in the WHOLE thing, but those parts are all unique, and I doubt youd even be able to find the system to swap them in (If the subframe even had the correct bolt holes, but you could always drill and tap new ones.
Honetsly, for the 1200 cars that they made with 4ws for 2 years, i HIGHLY doubt mazda would spend the extra money on tooling needed to have a differant chassis than the standard "GD"...That would be very foolish and a bad investment on there part...

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Why not do it? I have everything here, and will have the bragging rights...nothing a little welding cant fix IF theres a differance...has anyone acually took everything out and looked to see what is differant about the mounting?
yes, plenty have. all the rear suspension is different and the mounting points are not on the non 4ws cars. you would practically have to chop the ass off your probe and weld on the mx6 one.

...And for wiring, there isnt that much...look at the shop manual scans....If it is, so what, its not that hard to pull teh carpet and some wires
theres tons. i have the manuals and ive personally seen the insides of the harness in my car.

....And the cluster, why? Like i cant take the 4ws steer light and mount it into a probe cluster? theres extra spots on the probes with nothing to go there...
its not about the light, theres a speed sensor in there, and another on the tranny.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
its not about the light, theres a speed sensor in there, and another on the tranny.
yea, the sensors still on the trans, and the probe has a speed sensor on the speedo as well...big whoop....

all the rear suspension is different and the mounting points are not on the non 4ws cars.

No shit on the suspention being differant, and for the mounting points, thank god we have drills and taps IF there is amounting differance, but I am highly doubting teh uni-body is differant......

I dont know where all the hostlilty, rudeness, and anger has come from, but all i wanted to do is share a project i had in mind...compare notes, possibly swap parts if i needed something....seriously, WTF???

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
And defiler, you have not once stated anything about the frame being differant on PP.com....
As far as I know, it's not. From the underside they look nearly identical. Ive been under both 2ws and 4ws models plenty of times.

has anyone acually took everything out and looked to see what is differant about the mounting?...
Yes, I have. I told you what the differences were.

theres tons. i have the manuals and ive personally seen the insides of the harness in my car.
Werd. The harness for the secondary fuel pump is going to be a project, along with the dash and the wiring for the 4ws controls. (Which the 4ws power runs into the engine bay fuse box, so you'll more than likely have to rewire the engine bay harness too)

If you had wanted accurate info from more than one source, you should have asked on here rather than on a Probe site:shrug:

But like I said, if you want to rewire the whole car, and do a lot of fabricating, more power to you. It would be a cool car in the end, but it'll take hundreds of hours of work.:shrug:

And BTW, there was only one "IF" in there, and no uncertain-ness. I was hypothetically saying that even if for some reason the bolt holes lined up (Which they dont) that you wouldnt be able to find the parts. Well, you proved me wrong on the parts issue. No biggie.

#10 ·
I'd much rather try to get a title on the mx6 than having to butcher a working probe AND a working mx6 to build a 4ws probe, which is pretty much impossible to start with.

You have NO idea how much wiring and other stuff that goes into the total 4ws system.

#11 ·
Wibla is right, this is a foiled project that will never be finished. In the end you'll realize what we are all saying.

I have owned more 4ws cars then anyone else here and probably done more work to them then a dedicated mazda mechanic. What i see hear is a disaster from the start. You should just sell the car to me. I would do what ever it takes to title the car. The frames are so different i hope you are some kind of mechanical genius.

Call me in a few months when everything is apart and you realize your mistake. I'll sort it out for ya!:tup:

#12 ·
too bad it has to be parted....no title...

Im keeping all the 4ws stuff and swapping it onto my probe....

Looks like a beautiful specimen. Why part it? How did you buy it without a title? What state? you should be able to get it titled no problem . Why buy a car if no title?

Are you sure it isn't stolen? How?

#13 ·
that car is way to nice to start chopping up. If you are dead set on building a 4ws probe, sell that one and find a pos in the salvage yard or something. I for see this being one of those projects were you take two running cars and make them two non running cars. Im not trying to flame you but its honestley just not worth it.

#27 ·
yeah tell me about it. I go to chicago on a regular basis, and i always get looks when i have to pop the hood and pull a fuse just to park! I have thought about wiring a switch to disable 4ws for this very purpose. But then i should do one for the cooling fan (bad relay) too. :shrug:

NICE WORK! glad to see the wheels like that once again!

#17 ·
One more question...the 4ws works fine until you cut the car off with the wheels turned, when the rear rack goes to center, it gets half way and then jerks to center, and the next time you start it the system is faulted...Ill unplug the control unit and rear ration harness and reconnect, and it works agian...

any ideas???

#23 ·
I have noticed that it seems that the rear rack turns more left than right, and when it does fault, it gives a code 5....could it somply be that the rear rack needs re-alignment? Cant be anything serious, as the system is working....
Do you have to hold the steering wheel more to one side to keep the car going straight? If so, then yes it needs re-alignment. Hopefully though it didnt strip a tooth or 2 on the shaft/pump.

#5 is the front to rear steering ratio sensor.
Yup, sounds like a misaligned rear shaft. Or maybe even the front part is aligned wrong.

#28 ·
the set bolt holds the rear rack shaft at center while you tighted the coupler (smooth part or the shaft, not the side with splines) of the rear shaft and rack. Once you set everything tight, then you take out the set bolt (specific bolt that comes to a point) and put back in the standard bolt. The set bolt is directly under the shaft as it enters the rear rack.

Feel free to PM me about any specific 4ws questions as they pertain to the 4ws mx6.

Good luck man, they say it can't be done....and i think probes are super ugly. I mean....your gf has to drive something, and after all the probe was designed to be marketed directly to WOMEN.......

A 4WS car is a man's car, since women can't work on it or appreciate it. Just a thought.

#29 ·
In the FSM it shows how the sub frames may look the same but are actually differnet measurements.

In time.... In time.... you'll see.

I seriously would LOVE to buy that car off you, not for parts but to put back on the road. I will pay more then you bought it for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.