Mazda MX-6 Forum - View Single Post - MX6.com's Rotary Talk Thread... Rotary talk only!
View Single Post
post #96 of (permalink) Old 11-27-09, 9:59
ls six

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Power: 5

Hey Joe, heres some more input I noticed that you kept the triangular rotor shape, since you no longer have the peanut shaped housing and reciprical motion the rotor can be entirely round! That would make more robust seals possible and even multiple seals.

at this point it's starting to become remenicant of old style rottary radial engines used in some aircraft, but where the output of those motors wat the crankcase it's self and the crank (and therods and pistond atleast radialy) was held stationary in this case the crank and housing are stationary while the while the rotor/piston assembly rotate.

The one issue I see being a problem is controling the pistons, especialy on the intake stroke. After the piston starts down the trailing side of the IN/EX cam you are depending on it to draw the fresh charge in, under most operating conditions the motor will operate completely on the standard induction principal, and with no positive retention of the piston to the cam we depend entirely on the return springs to keep the piston against the lobe and provide the "draw" for induction.

We have a situation similar to what OHV motors have, we need to provide enough spring pressure to keep the piston from "floating" without over stressing the related components. This would be RPM dependant also so too little spring limits RPM and too much limits the working life of components and would draw a significant amount of power.

I4, most rotaries last a very long time without failure. Ofcourse these people dont log on to let everybody know the have had no issues It's the same principal thats at work on MX6.com and even Honda and Toyota forums. Look through any forum and you will see page after page of people asking why the car just broke!

96 MX-6 full exhaust A/C delete spoiler delete probe wheels and a turbo in the worx. 01 626 brake's98 626 sway bar Altima rear sway bar links.http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2934576

90 pontiac transam. 350 TPI motor new 24# injectors. Rebuilt trans. lots to come.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome