Engine cranks, no spark, new distributor and ECU - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 9-30-14, 13:29 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

Engine cranks, no spark, new distributor and ECU

My 1995 MX6 V6 with 210,000 miles died (again). I figured it was the annual buy a new distributor and it would be running again. This is the third distributor in the life of the car and is no big deal for $85 to get it running again. Not so.... New distributor and nothing. Engine cranks but no spark. I do have 12 volt to the distributor on the 3 pin connector. So I checked connections, fuses, etc. Bought another ECU off Ebay and installed that with the same results. I will borrow my buddies coder reader tomorrow night and see what codes it throws but just wondering if anyone has run across something odd besides the ECU or distributor. Love this car and hate to let it go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-3-14, 8:40

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Power: 6

Your 95 is probably an obd1, so you can read the codes with a paper clip. An obd2 reader will do nothing for you if that's what your buddy has.

Just search obd1 paper clip method on here and you'll find a link to check your codes.

Edit: Check if your timing belt snapped. You can open the oil filler cap and check to see if the cam moves while someone is cranking the engine.

1997 MX-6 LS
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-3-14, 21:03

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Power: 5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-9-14, 20:58 Thread Starter

Thanks for the great Info King6, I'll try it this weekend. The coder reader threw a #20, crank shaft position sensor. Read good with a meter but i out a new one in anyway. New one has about 535 ohms, so it should be good. Checked all fuses, and relays associated with the ignition. Different ECU, new ditsy... running out of ideas. Hopefully something in King6's document will point it out.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-14, 10:45 Thread Starter

Dumb question here, Chilton's manual discusses ditsy install with engine TDC on cylinder #1. The ditsy is keyed and I believe can only be installed one way which would eliminate the possibility of installing it 180 degrees backwards, correct? Other wise on the 95' model and a crankshaft sensor not in sync with the cam shaft position in the Ditsy could prevent ignition from occurring... or am wrong?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-14, 10:48 Thread Starter

Thanks PaulG, the cam is fine... The car ran one day, parked and never started again. Typical of the past and I usually throw in a new ditsy to fix it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-14, 23:30

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

You cant put the disty in wrong, its pretty much impossible unless you physically filed down the piece that goes into the cam. Also, it wouldnt matter anyway, because it would still spark, just not at the correct time. , and its no spark usually cause by Bad disty, bad crank sensor, bad selector switch on trans, or bad ecu grounds. If you do a test to see if you have a trigger signal going to the disty, you will have a better idea of what the source is.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2-23-15, 13:53

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Did you ever find a fix for this?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 8-4-15, 7:31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbwillgrubs View Post
Did you ever find a fix for this?
thats what i would love to find out ... https://www.mx6.com/forums/australia-...-no-spark.html
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-9-16, 20:00

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Power: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING6 View Post
and its no spark usually cause by Bad disty, bad crank sensor, bad selector switch on trans, or bad ecu grounds. If you do a test to see if you have a trigger signal going to the disty, you will have a better idea of what the source is.
Sorry for bringing this from the dead but your input could help me move forward in my swap.

My setup : 2003 protege5 with JDM KLDE (KL47) with KLK1 ecu, 94 mx3 distributor (wiring has been adapted to fit the dist. pinout) and KJ01 MAF. I have a no spark issue. I have injector pulse. Seems the trigger pulse cannot be found on the "a" pin. I'm wondering if the pinout I used is wrong (even though the author keeps correcting it since it's release, with most recent update 3 months ago, so it seems doubtful).

I cannot find what are the needed parameters for that trigger pulse to be released by the ecu. The ecu originally was for a ATX (jdm millenia). Reading the quote uptop, I wonder if I should address the *bad selector switch on trans*, in my case, I have none (being mtx) and nothing wired to that pin on my ecu, would that prevent spark from occuring? Also, considering the fact I have injector pulse, should I be worried my crank sensor is bad/wired uncorrectly?

Thanks for any knowledge you can drop on me, I'm at a complete loss here and want to drive my freshly swapped car!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-19, 9:29

Made a new account just to make ask if you had any updates on this!

I also have a Protege5 with a 1996 KLDE From an MX6, using the Automatic OBD2 ECU, but with a manual trans. Was working fine until suddenly no spark.
I replaced the distrubor to no avail.
I'm wondering if this Selector Switch could have something to do with it? I have pins on the trans harness jumped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page