• 1 Post By med_mx6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 8-14-19, 14:41 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

First time ever building a car

Ok so here's how it is I've got a 1994 MX-6 2.5l v6 manual, I'm entirely new to building cars but it's always been a dream I know a bit but not enough.

I am planning to turbo and well I don't have any clue what I need or what's best or what tools I need to buy cause I'm still building my collection. So if you can please help me out by putting what I should get and do I'll tell you all details needed to know it's got quite a bit and I'm willing to engine swap with a kl-ze. But I did read somewhere that I need the internals of the kl-ze, idk just would appreciate it, thank you also any info on finding a bumper reinforcement would be great also suggestions on body kits. 😁
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 8-22-19, 19:18

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Power: 5

Garage
Welcome to the boards... I certainly dont want to discourage someone who is willing to work and rebuild a MX-6 (instead of part it out), but there is so much to learn from searching this site. It would be near impossible to respond properly to the questions you ask. Ultimately all the information you're asking for can be found around here. The 2G forum has the appearance subforum where you can find info about the body kits, but since this car is old it's gonna be hard to find whatever there once was. It was hard 10 years ago.

Generally speaking the KLDE is the "easier" version to boost, since you already have one, compression is a little more favorable, and more people have already done it.

Anyway, good luck on your journey. Sorry I can't give any specifics, but it's almost all here and online. Good luck with the searching!
friendsofdonr likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 8-23-19, 7:42

It depends on what you mean by "building" a car. There's more than just mechanicals. Other than that, you have the body, interior, suspension etc.
If you're going to start tinkering with your car, I suggest you firstly buy a workshop manual, and get assistance from someone who knows what they're doing.
Turbo'ing an engine that wasn't designed for a turbo means lotsa dollars, as the drivetrain, suspension and brakes also need to be upgraded.
Start off with the easier jobs, then work your way up as you gain experience.
Money and know-how are your two biggest challenges.

Best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 8-27-19, 15:27

Power: 5

Suspension and brakes have to be updated to go force induction? Since when? That's simply not true. Brakes are highly recommended but by no means required. And suspension has absolutely nothing to do with it
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 8-27-19, 22:42

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Suspension and brakes dont have to be upgraded on any car boosted or not. But if you want your car to handle all the new power and be able to put it to the ground effectively then yes they have to be upgraded/improved. Stock parts on a car never meant to see boost will not like the added power whether its launching, cornering, or stopping from a high speed. The suspension and brakes both will have to compensate for added weight and power. They will do it for a bit but not happily. Eventually you'll have to replace/improve them regardless. Upgrading them will only make your car more pleasurable to drive as well. Is he building a car or just an engine for a car? Pointless to have a fast engine and a slow car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page