2nd Gen Forced induction member/car database - Mazda MX-6 Forum
View Poll Results: Did you find this helpful?
Yes! This is what we needed! 127 85.23%
It's OK but my system is my secret and it stays like that. 7 4.70%
Nope, we don't need a thread like this. 4 2.68%
Okay, we already know you have a turbo. Why don't you just boost away now. 11 7.38%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 2-2-03, 10:15 Thread Starter
Boostaholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 5

2nd Gen Forced induction member/car database

Simply to clear some things up and to show the path that you've gone with your 2nd Gen aftermarket charged, wouldn't it be nice to have a list on what us turbo / sc members have put together. Some spec list like this... I'll start it, please do not hesitate to put your setup on the list as it will help some people out and possibly reduce the amount of likely to be closed posts.

Car/Model/Engine/Year: MX-6 LS 2.5L KLO3/KLDE V6 '93

Method of forced induction used: Garrett T3 turbocharger, watercooled center jacket, turbine .64, compressor .48. Integral wastegate. This unit was bought as a used turbo from supposedly Nissan ZX300 single turbo (earlier models). Might be upgrading soon.

Intercooled or not, type of your choice: with Saab 9-5 Tdi air/air intercooler core, custom end tanks made of steel. Going to be upgraded soon.

Piping/drive system for SC's: Custom made setup from the scratch. 1 3/4" from stock exh. manifolds to 2 1/4" where the 2 pipes merge and go to turbo, 2.5" downpipe & exhaust system.

Fuel mods: Walbro 255 lph fuel pump, Vortech S-FMU (nice adjustable unit) for on-boost fueling. Stock FPR ditched from the fuel rail. Going to be upgraded with 6 extra injectors controlled by PC programmable 034efi control unit.

Engine/tranny mods: Stock internals, CM III clutch mated with Fidanza 9lbs. flywheel.

Special features on your system: Adjustable oil pressure regulator on turbo oil feed line. (thanks Toastier) Autometer gauges for EGT, boost, fuel pressure and A/F.

Performance: Not dynoed but it's faster than stock.

Was it hard to come up with this: It's not an easy task to create a pipe hassle like this. If you have the skills and knowledge, there is nothing to be afraid of on creating your own.

What is your knowledge about cars: I don't have education on working on cars, but spending 25 years around cars and our own garage/bodyshop has given me a lot of knowledge. I learned the turbo fundamentals on reading and searching for the knowledge and asking around for things. Get Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. It's awesome reading for your boost addicted mind.

How long did it take to build your system: Well it took around 1 month for me to work on it on nights and weekends to get it running. If I would have been working on it every day, I could have the car running in a week or so. Do a good examination on what you need and get them before and learn to understand what you bought before you start and you'll be on your way.

How much money have you spent on this all: I calculated ~2500 USD so far and counting. I've been doing my own labour and that has set the price lower. But keep in mind that getting the cheapest stuff around will not always give you a full satisfaction and might end up costing a lot more than doing it the right way in the first place. For example fuel issues is what you don't want to be a cheapskating on.

What is your advice for people who wants to get boosted: Gain your knowledge, plan before you do, don't be too itchy to save some dollars on critical things.

I hope this is a satisfying list.

Mici

Mazda MX-6 LS-T - Boosted, purpled. 2012? 2020???
Audi TT-R "W12" SingleFramed - NimbusGrau'd
Toyota MR2 Spyder - Fitted, kitted, oranged...
Aprilia RSV1000RR Factory - loud piped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 2-6-03, 6:57 Thread Starter
Boostaholic

Doh. I'm the only boosted 2nd Gen? Oh well...

Mici

post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 2-6-03, 9:44
Ferrari_Killer
Tell me, Mr. Anderson, what good is a phone call when you are unable to speak?

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Don't worry, I was going to boost my LS but I switched over to a monster miata

FK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 2-6-03, 17:05

Quote:
Originally posted by Mici
Doh. I'm the only boosted 2nd Gen? Oh well...

Mici
no ur not...but some people just dont care to brag about it
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 2-7-03, 17:56
Lee 93redPGT

Quote:
Originally posted by Rayman

no ur not...but some people just dont care to brag about it
Or it could be that some people didn't actually do anything so none of the questions apply to them.

Car: 95 Ford Probe GT

Turbo system #1: Garrett T3/T4 hybrid turbo w/modified turbine housing, oil and liquid cooled. Piping build by yours truly. Controlled via Turbonetics Deltagate

27"x10"x3" Spearco cored intercooler, mandrel bent pipes, polished 2" pre-intercooler, 2.5" post intercooler, HKS SSQV

Turbo system #2: Turbonetics T3 super 60. Ludespeed style piping, turbonetics Deltagate, non intercooled.

Turbo system #3: System by IMP. T3/T4 hybrid turbo, turbonetics Deltagate, HKS SSQV

Spearco intercooler, 2.25" mandrel bent intercooler pipes.

Fuel Mods: Walbro 255 high pressure pump, Vortech 12:1 FMU

Engine/Tranny: ACT clutch, Mueller Flywheel, C's short throw shifter

Performance Fast. End of story

Was it hard to come up with this? Anyone who has built their own turbo system knows the answer to this question. Anyone who hasn't will never understand until they do.

Money spent: I just sold my first two kits for $2900 and $1500 respectively, and I did not make a single dollar, nor did I come even close to breaking even. I just bought a third turbo system built by IMP. You do the math.

How long did it all take? The first system took roughly 1.5-2 months to build on my freetime. ~10 hours in the fab shop, ~40 hours in the garage test fitting, cutting, welding, etc. 20,000 trips to the hardware store...

The second system took about 2 weeks to install because of some fitment issues, causing me to do some cutting and welding. Unfortunately, my battery would not cooperate in the trunk, so the second turbo system could not stay.

The third system is an IMP kit, and I hope to install it in a weekend, since no fab work will be necessary. But I'll expect the worst as always.

Advice: Unless you have a great deal of time, a place for your car to sit, welding experience, a chop saw, and a full understanding of an actual functioning turbo system, don't even bother. Do your homework; there is plenty of info out there.

Last edited by Lee 93redPGT; 2-7-03 at 17:58.
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 2-7-03, 21:19

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee 93redPGT

Or it could be that some people didn't actually do anything so none of the questions apply to them.
i did more than u think u cant possibly think that i was sitting there for 2 yrs doing nothing right?

i know my system from top to bottom.....cuz i "designed" it, i just told the shop what i wanted, he just executed the way i wanted and gave his expertise where im lacking....so i know the answers to all them questions, just too lazy to type

Last edited by Rayman; 2-7-03 at 21:21.
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 2-8-03, 23:19
Lee 93redPGT

Quote:

i did more than u think u cant possibly think that i was sitting there for 2 yrs doing nothing right?

i know my system from top to bottom.....cuz i "designed" it, i just told the shop what i wanted, he just executed the way i wanted and gave his expertise where im lacking....so i know the answers to all them questions, just too lazy to type
yeah yeah yeah, blah blah blah. There ain't nothin like gettin your hands dirty, right Mici?

Just kiddin Ray, we love you. (in a total heterosexual way)
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 2-14-03, 17:35 Thread Starter
Boostaholic

Heheh! Gettin dirty with hands and all that stuff...

Oh well, the system is getting better. And I just thought this would reduce the amount of people asking the same questions time after time.

Yeah, Ray, big for your work and excelent dyno output.

Mici

post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 2-19-03, 16:24
Lee 93redPGT

Quote:

i know my system from top to bottom.....cuz i "designed" it,
You know exactly what I'm gonna say. After seeing darin's piping, I know who really designed it....

So its just us three?
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 2-20-03, 17:23

Power: 0

Re: 2nd Gen Forced induction member/car database

Car/Model/Engine/Year: 1997 Ford Probe FS-03

Method of forced induction used: Garrett Stage III T3/To4e turbocharger, turbine .63, compressor .50. External wastegate dumps to atmosphere (don't tell the police).

Intercooled or not, type of your choice: 24x7x3" Front-mount intercooler with 18" core

Piping/drive system for SC's: Bought piping from RacingMazda. 2" piping almost all around, 3" piping for intake, 2.25" downpipe..

Fuel mods: Walbro 255 lph high pressure fuel pump, Cartech FMU

Engine/tranny mods: Stock internals, Rebuild Tranny, stock clutch (for now)

Special features on your system: Autometer Boost guage

Performance: 170hp, 185tq @ 4psi

Was it hard to come up with this: Took 2.5 months to get all the pieces from racingmazda. On instal day I was still missing pieces from them...and to this day have not received every piece to this turbo kit. Pain in the ASS.

What is your knowledge about cars: I know my way around cars like our president knows his way around the english language. I had some friends help with the install.

How long did it take to build your system: Took 16 hours to install

How much money have you spent on this all: Including the tranny rebuild? About $7500. $4000 on the turbo alone.

What is your advice for people who wants to get boosted:
It is NOT a cheap project for ANY car. Expect to pay $5,000.00, that way you don't have any suprises later on down the line.
post #11 of 84 (permalink) Old 3-10-03, 16:22

OK, here's my contribution:

Car/Model/Engine/Year: MX-3 GS 1.8l V6 (when it had the original motor)

Method of forced induction used:(1) Vortech V5D centrifugal supercharger at 9 PSI 2, then: (2) Garrett T3/T04 hybrid turbo .48/.50 at 11 PSI

Intercooled or not, type of your choice: (1) Saab 900 "mini" FMIC (2) 30"x5"x2" custom-built FMIC

Piping/drive system for SC's: (1)Custom made setup from the remnants of the original TKT drive system. (2)Home-built welded piping from J-bends. 1.75" primaries to 2" collectors to a 2.25" inlet pipe. 2.5" downpipe.

Fuel mods: Cartech fmu, afm link fuel computer, SDS additional injector controller, two secondary 480cc injectors, custom ecu prom, walbro high-volume fuel pump

Ignition Mods:MSD Ignition 6A, MSD Boost timing master, chrome msd blaster coil

Engine/tranny mods: Swap to a KL-DE 2.5l with stock internals, ACT Stage III.

Special features on your system: It works all the time.

Performance: (1) Dyno'ed to 237HP and [email protected] (2) still awaits formal testing but is significantly faster than (1)

Was it hard to come up with this: Define hard. It was a challenge.

What is your knowledge about cars: Less and less with each passing day.

How long did it take to build your system: (1) was an on-going (but drivable) project for almost 3 years (2) took a week.

How much money have you spent on this all: (1) $3500 (2) $750. This does not include all of the other goodies. The complete list is at the bottom.

What is your advice for people who wants to get boosted: What he said.

Here is the current line-up for the MX-3 as of 3/10/2003:

DRIVETRAIN

KL-03 2.5 LITER V6
GARRETT T3/T04 TURBO
CUSTOM TURBO SYSTEM
CARTECH FMU
POLISHED K8 INTAKE MANIFOLD
AFM LINK FUEL COMPUTER
MSD IGNITION
MSD BOOST TIMING MASTER
CHROME MSD BLASTER COIL
SDS ADDITIONAL INJECTOR CONTROLLER
TWO SECONDARY 480cc INJECTORS
ACT STAGE II CLUTCH
CUSTOM ECU PROM
HKS SUPER BOV
CUSTOM CAT-BACK EXHAUST
DUAL-TIP POLISHED RACTIVE CHAMBER MUFFLER
CUSTOM CAI
CUSTOM 30" AIR-AIR FMIC
K&N FILTER
PHENOLIC INTAKE MANIFOLD SPACERS
WALBRO HIGH-VOLUME FUEL PUMP
PACESETTER SHORT SHIFTER
MAZDASPEED MOTOR MOUNTS
TRUNK MOUNTED OPTIMA BATTERY
MACHINED ALUMINUM OVERFLOW CANISTER

INTERIOR

CUSTOM UPHOLSTERY
TENZO RACING SEATS
CUSTOM MOLDING AND INSERTS
MOMO ALUMINUM PEDALS
SRD INSTRUMENT CLUSTER FACES
SRD BILLET E-BRAKE HANDLE
AUTOMETER PHANTOM ELECTRIC GAUGES
CUSTOM COLORED CONSOLE, VENTS, SCUFF GUARDS,
HEADLINER, TRIM, VISORS AND PILLARS
SONY XPLOD CDX-M630 MOTORIZED HEAD UNIT
4 PIONEER 6 75 WATT TWO-WAY SPEAKERS
2 ROCKFORD PUNCH 10" SUBS
ROCKFORD 1 FARAD CAP
400W/CHANNEL ROCKFORD AMP
2 5" LCD MONITORS
400MHz MOBILE PENTIUM II COMPUTER

SUSPENSION

GROUND CONTROL ADJUSTABLE COIL-OVERS
EIBACH SPRINGS
KYB GR-2 STRUTS
EIBACH CAMBER CORRECTION KIT
FAST FRONT & REAR TIE-BARS
SRD LOWER REAR TIE-BAR
KONIG TANTRUM 18"x7.5" RIMS
215/35r18 NITTO NT555 TIRES
GOODRICH STAINLESS BRAKE LINES
UPGRADED 929 MASTER BRAKE CYLINDER
BREMBO CROSS-DRILLED CAD-PLATED ROTORS

EXTERIOR

CUSTOM PPG BLUE-ON-BLACK PEARL PAINT
SUPERIOR GRAPHICS VINYL STRIPING
MAZDASPEED SIDE SILLS
MAZDASPEED FRONT BUMPER
CUSTOM ALUMINUM GRILLES
APR ADJUSTABLE ALUMINUM SPOILER
CUSTOM ALUMINUM SPOILER MOUNTS
ADVANZ CLEAR MARKER AND CORNER LENSES
SHAVED/RELOCATED FUBA ANTENNA
33% WINDOW TINT
CUSTOM GRAPHICS FROM SIGNS BY TOMORROW

JEFF ABRAMS
[email protected]

Tierbeaux Beewst:
Greddy E-Manage - add 30 HP! ROTARY POWER!! 1.3 liter 2004 Mazda RX-8 GT
TURBOCHARGED & INTERCOOLED 1.8 liter 1997 Mazda Miata
SOLD ==>TURBOCHARGED & INTERCOOLED 2.5 liter 1993 Mazda MX-3 GS
http://www.mazdamaniac.com
post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old 3-10-03, 16:56
992mmx3-t

My list is gonna be shorter than the rest cause I'm at work:

Car: '92 mx-3 rs

Engine swapped to a-spec b6t turbo motor, jason garret young fmic, 19.5"x8"x2.3", SDS (simple digital systems) stand alone engine management system w/remote switching device (no more gay wad maf, hehe) its also ditributorless and running off of coil packs, greddy profec b boost controller, greddy type s bov and steel flange, custom fabricated light weight aluminum race intake manifold (about 3 inches in diameter), running stock 330cc injectors, custom made 2 1/2in. downpipe/exhaust/high flow cat. and magnaflow turbo muffler, all piping is 2.5" on intercooler, autometer phantom gauges, sds o2 sensor this is a 4 wire sensor unlike the slower less acurrate stock 1 wire sensor, ACT clutch, lots of powder coating.

Still need to buy,
ceramic coated equal length headers with t3 turbo (integral wastegated) probably order it next week, also 190lph walboro fuel pump.
Money spent: lots
Car knowledge: The list above makes my car go vroom vroom faster, ummm, like I think so anyways.
post #13 of 84 (permalink) Old 3-17-03, 12:22

Well I have a wet fogger system that Im currently using on a KLO3 .. 50/75/100 shot
Im fitting a KLZE next month (it is on the high seas now) but I will drop the gas down to ~ 50 on that motor..
And as a side note: what culch do you guys run.. (I dont want to hijack the thread, but I figure since we have all the high-powered MX6s in one place why not!)
Im also sourcing a K801 flywheel to fit on the ZE..

If you aren't living on the edge...Your taking up to much space..

Last edited by Mr. MX6; 3-17-03 at 13:20.
post #14 of 84 (permalink) Old 3-17-03, 15:55 Thread Starter
Boostaholic

CM Stage III and Fidanza 9lbs on my stuff. The system I've been describing has been set up for selling and I think we have a winner who will be using it sometime in near future. My plans are going to the new intake coupled with a big azz T4 and external wastegate. I just wish that I'd have the money for the internals in my hand right now...

Mici

post #15 of 84 (permalink) Old 6-5-03, 12:52

Power: 0

ive got a boosted 94 mx6 ls, my turbo of choice is a 14b dsm turbo, i did all of my own intercooler pipes and exhuast pipes, im useing a 1g b.o.v. and i am running a saab 900 side mount intercooler, my fuel mods are a vortech 12:1 fmu and a walbro 255 high flow pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page