Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

gas smell

5K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Thomas08 
#1 ·
1994 MX6 LS V-6 5 speed. I am getting a strong gas smell in the garage after parking the car. Also when I am driving and come to a stop I can smell gas fumes if the windows are down. Looked and no signs of gas leak, had car on lift and checked all fuel lines and no leak or wet spots on the fuel lines. Odor seems to be coming from the engine area. Car runs great. Any ideas?

#3 ·
I feel like there's a vent on the gas tank/ filler tube that bypasses through the rear fender by the gas door. This is just speculation but vapors could be getting into the trunk that way and then into the "cockpit"... Sorry I had to say cockpit...

#5 ·
Check your vapor lines from the charcoal canister to the purge solenoid. Might want to run a diagnostic on the purge solenoid too just to make sure that it's working otherwise you might get backpressure in the vapor line that might split the vapor line depending on it's condition.

I know this is for an I4 but has a lot of information that translates to the V6 too. Worth the watch.

Meet the Purge (Evap) Solenoid - YouTube

Mazda 626 - Purge Solenoid Diagnostics - YouTube

#7 ·
Gas Smell

Did anyone figure this one out? My smell is not a standard gas smell, but the exhaust system checks tight, so I think it is gas. The muffler man agrees, but could not find anything.
I notice it after running, when stopped.
Thanks!
Any update on your car's gas smell? I also had an issue (from my other car) and found out that the fuel pump cover had not been tightly closed after a mechanic replaced it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.