Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

How To: Have LED's with NO Hyper Flash

12K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  dick1981 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All

Here is a very simple How To: Have LED's with NO Hyper Flash.

This is specific so that you do not have to put ANY resistor that bridge the wires to usually avoid the fast flash. I did try looking for a replacement low amperage LED replacement switcher for out cars, and no one makes them.

What you do loose is the bulb out function that this transistor clipping does. I personally don't care....

This will work on MX3/MX6/626/Probes.

This works on my car, and I did load up the brake lights and rear turning lights with LED's and my corners, works like a charm!!

Disclaimer: This is a mod for your car, and I accept no responsibility if you mess up and electrocute or hurt yourself. Lets just say if you hurt yourself, then by the Darwinian standards you're not a winner :)

Tools:

- Bendy Back
- Needle nose pliers
- Small Pointy scissors
- Small tweezers

Step 1:

- Find this Signal Flasher Relay under the drivers side dash right near the Hood Release
- There will be 3 relay's under there, this is the middle one.
- You can wiggle it around and give it a bit of a yank and it will come loose.

If you grabbed the right one, you will have this one

Step 2

- Take the bottom protective cover off (The tabs hold the bottom in place)
- Use the needle nose pliers to pull the circuit board, then you will have the below.

Step 3

- Here is where you look for the little black transistor and clip the outermost/first leg with the scissors. Picture below will show you which one to clip/cut
- You will notice that I bent the bottom of the clipped leg back

Step 4

- Put all back together and install LED lights in your corners or rear tail lights. And sit back and enjoy

See less See more
#3 ·
Draw an arrow to show which one to clip and ill give ya some credit! :tup:

#6 ·
So your telling me I just have to clip a single connection and when I run leds in my blinkers... no super flash mod?

Its all the rage... with the nissen skid racers!

So, what's the catch?

#10 ·
PaulG, you know when you look at the turn signal bulb, and it has two filaments? When one of the filaments burns out, it triggers the hyper-flash - bulb out warning because the amp load of the bulb changes.

The clipping of the transistor basically makes the whole system run with out the hyperflash/bulb-out warning if a bulb dies.

#14 ·
Actually Andy, TwoPedalWarrior can stay. Why you ask? Even when the manual swap is done and I have a third pedal... well... brakes are for sissies :)

That is why the name will stay

Or the return of pismoless.... now that's a throw back.

Ya pismoless, that name actually reaches back to the 90's for me, that was my handle of dial up BBSs'

#17 ·
Don't flex the transistor back too far One of my friends did that while clipping that one leg, and made a hairline crack in one of the legs he didn't see. He re did it on another box and it worked ok

#18 ·
It sure worked for me! (A good year later...)

Thanks a bunch man! I have tried adding the resistors to the line, no difference. This trick worked like a charm. One of my "electronically inclined" friends has expressed concerned about this move, saying that you don't want to physically alter things inside a relay box... As in, there might be extra stress on other components and elements within the flasher box, might lead to some problems...

I would think the current through the unit is not strong enough to cause any kind of trouble.

Anyways, thanks again!

#19 ·
Oh yah, I forgot aobut this, I did try it. and it did work.

It was awesome. possibly the awesomeest mod I ever done.

I had dummy lights riged up before this to stop the hyper flash, and planned to wire up resistor blocks.. and then I seen this and BAM, Rocking Solid Slow LED flashers with no extra crap wired in, I cut the old crap off and im no longer ghetto with the flashers as seen in my avatar<-------------

#22 ·
cant wait till you see my car at the next west coast meet, hopefully ill have some KL31 cams for ya ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.