Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Multiple oil leaks

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  NickR 
#1 ·
Hey Folks, I am encountering multiple oils leaks from my engine. It leaks from the front head valve cover, oil dipstick and it also seems to be seeping through the oil sump as well. This should indicate a stuck PCV but the PCV is new and the valve moves when you blow air into it. If I put my finger on the end of the PCV that goes to the intake manifold while idling, I can feel the air blowing out so it seems to be working.

I have had a set of "tri flow cut" cams installed on my engine so I am not sure if this maybe causing an issue vacuum wise. I tried researching this but no one seems to have had these problems after installing the tri flow cams or at least I did not find any info on it. Any ides on what this could be?

#3 ·
You know, I noticed that when I removed the pcv hose form the intake manifold side, it made no difference to the car's idle. While I have visually inspected the intake side a couple times and saw nothing, I just decided to jam a pick tool inside after reading your post and sure enough there was an obstruction. It was caked with an insect nest (don't ask) deep inside:crying:. I started the car after and then heard the loud sucking noise coming from the intake. One of the few times I was glad to hear a vacuum leak!

#5 ·
I thought I would have had to re-seal the front valve cover and oil sump but after clearing the obstruction all the oil leaks just stopped. I cleaned up the engine, had it idling a while and inspected for oil leaks but found nothing....not complaining though. I also had a very loud tappet noise that disappeared after clearing the PCV path.

#6 ·
Resurrecting an old thread..but I too, am having some multiple leaks as did Greendemon/OP. The hose is clear (I checked it for bugs...lol..) and the PVC valve seems to be working ok. If I put my finger on the end of the PVC valve, there is air sucking thru. I also tried another test I saw on line, by covering the oil filler hole with a stiff piece o paper and the paper was sucked in over the hole. the PVC seems ok. I'm guessing then that my leaks are an actuality. Could be an expensive repair from what I gather. I'm not loosing oil, nothing dripping on the ground, so that's good I suppose, but I can faintly smell oil inside the car.
- I switched to synthetic at 80,000 km, now at 134,000+ kms. Would it help/make a difference if I switched back to Dyno oil..or is that irrelevant..?
Just looking for a way to curb the issue without breaking the bank.
thx

#7 ·
From the symptoms you describe, my guess is that you have a small leak from the front or rear valve cover gasket, so oil is dripping down onto the hot exhaust manifold, hence the smell. Replacing the front VCG is easy, but the rear VCG is harder, since you need to remove the intake manifold first. Or you can just ignore it.

I remember reading that it might cause problems switching from dyno to synthetic oil, when the synthetics first came out, but that new synthetics don't have that problem. But I don't know.

Just to be on the safe side, check that the oil pressure switch (low down on the front of the engine, between the oil filter and alternator) isn't leaking. It's a common problem. But you would normally see a small drop of oil underneath the car where you park.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.