MX-6 overheating without smoke - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 4-16-19, 6:38 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

MX-6 overheating without smoke

Apparently my radiator fan doesn't work and my MX-6 keeps overheating when I drive, as in it quickly goes past the red mark and then slowly goes back to the middle once I drive enough. How bad is this because I have to commute to school a few miles down the road and am unable to get the fan replaced til later this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 4-19-19, 16:02

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Power: 5

I don't know for sure. But personally I wouldn't risk driving it like that. Too much risk of warping the (aluminum) head.

Are you sure it's the fan, and not the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor? Does neither fan work? If you unplug the ECTS, both fans should come on at high speed.

What year? V6 or I4?

As a short-term help, put the heater on, with the interior fan on high speed, to help keep it cooler.

And welcome to the board!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 4-23-19, 9:27

Power: 1

What is the latest news ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 4-30-19, 16:27

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The latest news? Probably overheated it and engine is being recycled as a boat anchor.

For V6:
There is more than one temperature sensor on the car. There is one that is designated directly for the fans. It should be right next to the coolant cap at the belt side, and if not mistaken the body of the sensor is green! If needed, its a special order at mazda.
Anyways : Unplug it, there is a fail safe, if the computer does not see a signal from this sensor, the fans will be on automatically and constantly, hot or cold.

If that doesn't work, unplug at the fan itself (with the sensor unplugged) and see if there is power going to the fan.
If no power, issue with electrical or fuses.
If power, replace the fans.

Dont ignore an overheating engine, its like driving it without oil, only a matter of time before damage will occur.

hope this helps

Overheating does not mean you will see smoke

Now that I think of it, isn't there 3 temperature sensors on theses V6 ? Fan / ECU / Gauge. Havent played in these cars in 6 years a little hard to remember at the moment
If you have a computer to put on it, what does the computer provide as a temperature ? This will confirm the temp sensor for the ECU.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 5-1-19, 16:37

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmxrx View Post
Now that I think of it, isn't there 3 temperature sensors on theses V6 ? Fan / ECU / Gauge. Havent played in these cars in 6 years a little hard to remember at the moment
The 93 V6 has 3. Later models used the same sensor for the fans and the ECU, so have 2.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 5-4-19, 12:40 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryBraxton View Post
Apparently my radiator fan doesn't work and my MX-6 keeps overheating when I drive, Lorem Ipsum as in it quickly goes past the red mark and then slowly goes back to the middle once I drive enough. 10 Minute Mail How bad is this because Temp Mail I have to commute to school a few miles down the road and am unable to get the fan replaced til later this week.
my issue has beeen solved
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 5-4-19, 12:42 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryBraxton View Post
Apparently my radiator fan doesn't work and my MX-6 keeps overheating when I drive, as in it quickly goes past the red mark and then slowly goes back to the middle once I drive enough. How bad is this because Lorem Ipsum Temp Mail 10 Minute Mail
I have to commute to school a few miles down the road and am unable to get the fan replaced til later this week.
my issue has beeen solved
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 5-6-19, 15:39

Power: 1

Fill us in on the story details so we know what happened
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 5-9-19, 12:45

Based on the symptoms, he had run it (almost) dry of coolant. No water, no steam.. No transfer of engine heat to the temp sensors after the initial boiled coolant went through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page