LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-27-19, 0:05 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

Coil change.

Hello everyone.

This post is regarding my 1997 Probe GT. I've had this car for about a year and a half now and it's run faultlessly until this morning.
I went to start it and all it did was crank, but not fire. Tested for spark at the plug wire and nothing. Checked fuses, relays and all checked out fine. I put it down to the coil saying goodnight, as I've read here that it seems to be a common fault, so I ordered one. Now, when I went to disassemble the old one to take a look at things, I got as far as removing the rotor. The shaft which the rotor sits on seems to have a phillips screw in it, but I couldn't get it undone.
Could someone here please point me in the right direction as to removing the coil correctly without breaking anything, as I've never worked on one of these cars intricately before.
Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-29-19, 8:40

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Power: 5

It could be the coil, or could be the ignitor (also a common problem, perhaps more common than the coil).

You might get lucky, and someone who knows will answer your question. But probably not, because there are so few people on this board nowadays. And because most people just replace the whole distributor (though some add an external coil and ignitor).
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-2-19, 10:35

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 1

Hope you went and got a new distributor....and then have been able to time it exactly...makes a big difference if you get the timing exactly right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page