Mazda MX-6 Forum - View Single Post - 2nd Gen Forced induction member/car database
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 2-2-03, 10:15 Thread Starter
Mici
Boostaholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 5

2nd Gen Forced induction member/car database

Simply to clear some things up and to show the path that you've gone with your 2nd Gen aftermarket charged, wouldn't it be nice to have a list on what us turbo / sc members have put together. Some spec list like this... I'll start it, please do not hesitate to put your setup on the list as it will help some people out and possibly reduce the amount of likely to be closed posts.

Car/Model/Engine/Year: MX-6 LS 2.5L KLO3/KLDE V6 '93

Method of forced induction used: Garrett T3 turbocharger, watercooled center jacket, turbine .64, compressor .48. Integral wastegate. This unit was bought as a used turbo from supposedly Nissan ZX300 single turbo (earlier models). Might be upgrading soon.

Intercooled or not, type of your choice: with Saab 9-5 Tdi air/air intercooler core, custom end tanks made of steel. Going to be upgraded soon.

Piping/drive system for SC's: Custom made setup from the scratch. 1 3/4" from stock exh. manifolds to 2 1/4" where the 2 pipes merge and go to turbo, 2.5" downpipe & exhaust system.

Fuel mods: Walbro 255 lph fuel pump, Vortech S-FMU (nice adjustable unit) for on-boost fueling. Stock FPR ditched from the fuel rail. Going to be upgraded with 6 extra injectors controlled by PC programmable 034efi control unit.

Engine/tranny mods: Stock internals, CM III clutch mated with Fidanza 9lbs. flywheel.

Special features on your system: Adjustable oil pressure regulator on turbo oil feed line. (thanks Toastier) Autometer gauges for EGT, boost, fuel pressure and A/F.

Performance: Not dynoed but it's faster than stock.

Was it hard to come up with this: It's not an easy task to create a pipe hassle like this. If you have the skills and knowledge, there is nothing to be afraid of on creating your own.

What is your knowledge about cars: I don't have education on working on cars, but spending 25 years around cars and our own garage/bodyshop has given me a lot of knowledge. I learned the turbo fundamentals on reading and searching for the knowledge and asking around for things. Get Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. It's awesome reading for your boost addicted mind.

How long did it take to build your system: Well it took around 1 month for me to work on it on nights and weekends to get it running. If I would have been working on it every day, I could have the car running in a week or so. Do a good examination on what you need and get them before and learn to understand what you bought before you start and you'll be on your way.

How much money have you spent on this all: I calculated ~2500 USD so far and counting. I've been doing my own labour and that has set the price lower. But keep in mind that getting the cheapest stuff around will not always give you a full satisfaction and might end up costing a lot more than doing it the right way in the first place. For example fuel issues is what you don't want to be a cheapskating on.

What is your advice for people who wants to get boosted: Gain your knowledge, plan before you do, don't be too itchy to save some dollars on critical things.

I hope this is a satisfying list.

Mici

Mazda MX-6 LS-T - Boosted, purpled. 2012? 2020???
Audi TT-R "W12" SingleFramed - NimbusGrau'd
Toyota MR2 Spyder - Fitted, kitted, oranged...
Aprilia RSV1000RR Factory - loud piped

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome