LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 7-10-08, 19:21 Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

Differences between 4WS and 2WS

So since Zach suggested it, let's post up what we know.

Power steering pump: The 4WS pump is larger than the 2WS counterpart.

Front swaybar: The 4WS front swaybar is 20mm, whereas the 2WS is ___mm?

Rear swaybar: Rear swaybar has different mounting style (As it has different endlinks). Is ___mm in size, while the 2WS version are ___mm in size.

Rear endlinks: 4WS have a hybrid endlink system, with the standard nut/washer style on top, and a "tie-rod" style on the bottom.

Fuel tank: The 4WS models come with a tank that is split down the center, allowing the rear steering shaft to come under the center of it.

Fuel pump: 4WS models have a 2nd fuel pump, known as a transfer pump to pump fuel into the one side when the other bank runs low.

Cosmetics: 4WS models have "4WS" labeled on steering wheel, and noticable 4WS stocker on rear trunk lid.

Power steering rack: 4WS models have a different front PS rack, and have the added bonus of a power steering rack in the back.

Electronics: 4WS models have additional electrical boxes under the seats, such as the timer module under the passenger's side seat.

Suspension: 4WS models were not offered with AAS suspension as the 2WD versions were, but were given a RSTB from the factory. They also did not come with a lower tie bar, as none of the 89's did.

Year: Only offered in 1989 as the MX6GT, while in 1988 the 626 was offered in a 4WS version (Only blue interior/white exterior)

Production numbers: If anyone could get me these, Id be amazed.

If anyone can fill int he blanks, correct info, or add more for it Ive been sick and out of work for a few days, so Im just being bored
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7-10-08, 22:09

Power: 5

the bar that runs to the shifter has a weird kink in it to clear the 4ws shaft. not the shifting link, but the one that holds the shifter parallel to the tranny.

4ws also has different wheels.

rear struts are different from what i read, but if you use the stock strut mount you can use any strut.

Last edited by compnut21; 7-11-08 at 0:21.
Old 7-10-08, 22:45

trunk lid

wheels

steering wheel

ps pump

rear rack

shift support rod with kink and the steering shaft (top right corner)

gas tank and rest of steering shaft

4ws light

Last edited by compnut21; 7-10-08 at 22:55.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7-10-08, 23:05

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

-4WS's also have an extra support/stabilizer brace under the transmission. (basically centers both lower control arms)
It sits long ways.

-4WS models were not offered with adjustable suspension, from what I remember?

-4WS models have OEM rear strut bars. All other 88-89's didnt. I think 90+'s did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiler
Fuel pump: 4WS models have a 2nd fuel pump, known as a transfer pump to pump fuel into the one side when the other bank runs low.
This would explain that "pump" sound anytime my gauge is under or close to 1/4 tank. Ive always wondered what it was.

BuhBye Vanessa; Helllllooo Aalina *Licks Lips*
Old 7-11-08, 1:01 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
rear struts are different from what i read, but if you use the stock strut mount you can use any strut.
Thats still debatable. I know lots of 4WS guys who have used all sorts of different stuts without re-using the stock strut mounts. I just use standard 2WS rear mounts on my Tokico Blues, and the same mounts were used with my Illuminas. And IIRC King_Marty on here had Ksports on his old 4ws...

Quote:
This would explain that "pump" sound anytime my gauge is under or close to 1/4 tank. Ive always wondered what it was.
jphillips would know the exact amount, or maybe compnut, but its supposed to kick on IIRC at 1/8 or 3/16 of a tank But yeah, from what Ive seen it just transfers the fuel from the side without the fuel pump over the hump and into the side that houses the fuel pump.

Quote:
-4WS's also have an extra support/stabilizer brace under the transmission. (basically centers both lower control arms)
It sits long ways.
Ah yes, I forget about this one, as my car didnt come with one from the previous owner. IIRc it's considered a "front tie bar".
Old 7-11-08, 1:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiler View Post
jphillips would know the exact amount, or maybe compnut, but its supposed to kick on IIRC at 1/8 or 3/16 of a tank But yeah, from what Ive seen it just transfers the fuel from the side without the fuel pump over the hump and into the side that houses the fuel pump.
its basically when the switch on the main pump is triggered (really low on that side) it turns on the other pump and pumps fuel to that side. the transfer pump itself is a really low pressure/low volume pump. this is also why our cars like to cut out around hard corners when low on gas.
Old 7-11-08, 4:13

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

4WS and 2WS pump pictures. The pump brackets are also different.

4WS pump on the left -

4WS pump bracket on the LEFT in the first pic, and the RIGHT in the second pic.

Old 7-11-08, 4:17

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Old 7-11-08, 10:12 Thread Starter
Banned

PHP Code:
this is also why our cars like to cut out around hard corners when low on gas
I still say thats only from a worn out pump. Mine never does that, and Ive even been boosting around corners at 65mph at less than 1/8 of a tank
Old 7-11-08, 12:42

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Production numbers: If anyone could get me these, Id be amazed.
There's a post that describes the rough estimates...I'll see if I can pull it up. I seem to remember the numbers being the same as the 626 4WS GT type of production estimate...

EDIT: Here it is, 1236, according to MSGT-R, who worked for Mazda (maybe still does?)

https://www.mx6.com/forums/888002-post3.html

2008 Legacy GT Spec.B - Quartz Silver Metallic | Not Stock
Old 7-11-08, 12:55 Thread Starter
Banned

Well that sounds about right, maybe a little low thop if you add in the 626. If I had the exact production # of MX6's, I could use my l33t math skilllz and figure it out... since a certain % of MX6's came as GT's, and a certain amount of GT's were 4ws...
Old 7-11-08, 13:56

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

If you know the exact production numbers of the MX6 from 88-92, then you'll know. I've read somewhere that 15% of total production were produced as GT's. So say if your production was along the lines of 250,000 (avg 50k per year production), then you'd have roughly 37,500 were GT's, and if those 4WS numbers are correct, then the percentage of GT's to 4WS' is quite minuscule, 30:1 ratio.

2008 Legacy GT Spec.B - Quartz Silver Metallic | Not Stock
Old 7-11-08, 19:38

Quote:
Thats still debatable. I know lots of 4WS guys who have used all sorts of different stuts without re-using the stock strut mounts. I just use standard 2WS rear mounts on my Tokico Blues, and the same mounts were used with my Illuminas. And IIRC King_Marty on here had Ksports on his old 4ws...

Ah yes, I forget about this one, as my car didnt come with one from the previous owner. IIRc it's considered a "front tie bar".
Im currenty on 2G Illuminas and GC coilovers. My 4WS doesnt work but if I plug the timer box in the rear wheels still turn. I do believe the rear struts are different but theyre easily interchangeable with non 4WS struts.

Old 7-11-08, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
There's a post that describes the rough estimates...I'll see if I can pull it up. I seem to remember the numbers being the same as the 626 4WS GT type of production estimate...

EDIT: Here it is, 1236, according to MSGT-R, who worked for Mazda (maybe still does?)

https://www.mx6.com/forums/888002-post3.html
I always guessed 1500 4WS's. 1236 is even better. More rare.

Old 7-11-08, 23:53 Thread Starter
Banned

Less than that now. Ive seen 2 in the junkyards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
User Tag List