4WS Probe - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 9-13-08, 18:34 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 5

4WS Probe

too bad it has to be parted....no title...

Im keeping all the 4ws stuff and swapping it onto my probe....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 9-14-08, 16:21 Thread Starter

The car is not stolen, the vin as been ran by police...the cars title has just been lost as it was passed through a few differant people, all who bought the car for parts but eventually changed directions with their various personal lifes.....

I have no intrest in driving this car...My opinion, but the mx6 just doesnt do it for me in the styleing department...yes, the probe probley would be here without it, but the mx6 isnt for me...i bought the car specifically for the 4ws system, thats it.....

Moving on, here is pics to prove what i was saying about the acual uni-body of the probe and mx6-4ws are the same, only the sub-frames are differant...The acual mounting points for the sub-frame to uni-body are the same, and with the same bolt spacing...the only differance is the mx6 uses studs, the probe bolts....nothing a trip to the hardware store can fix....

Not sure if you guys were referring to the sub-frame when you were saying the "frame", if you were, yes they are differant, i knew that the whole time

But if you were saying everything (unibodys, mounts, etc) was differant, sorry, but you are wrong....

MX6-4WS

Probe

Back to wiring, everything that i have looked at on the car in referance to the 4ws system is its own harness...outside of a few tie ins for 12v/grounds, and a fuse in the main fuse block...nothing that cant be simply swapped...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 9-15-08, 11:09 Thread Starter

It Fucking Woks!!! Amazing what a little contact cleaner will do...special thanks to compnuts21 for posting the factory WSM scans!

Driving a 4ws car is deffinatly differant, but it fells really cool! I still have the giggles, LOL! Pretty awesome when doing u-turns....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 9-29-08, 11:46 Thread Starter

Made a little progess yesterday...got the rear subframe assembly out of the car, will be pulling it apart and cleaning/restoring everything throughout this week.

Also pulled all the wiring out....nearly done with assembling the stand alone harness, just waiting on the factory mazda service manual so I can tie up a few loose ends....

Poor MX6....

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-5-08, 12:16 Thread Starter

Here's the finished StandAlone 4WS harness. Compared to what I pulled out, not much to it, huh?

Ill be the first to say this wasnt the quickest, cleanest, or absoulote idiot-proof job...but its done! I wouldn't recommend anyone trying this without a understanding of basic electronics, wiring experiance, or a set of factory wiring diagrams...and BTW mazda did a excellent job at there wiring diagrams. VERY impressive.

With the 4WS part, I have isolated all the wires that have to be tied in to the probes harness. They are all sorted and ready to be slpiced in at the dash. I left the factory crimps on the wiring that goes to the under hood fuse box. all I have to do is slide in the wires and put in a fuse. Found that Although one wire at the 4WS control box is in the wiring diagrams as a "revolution detection sensor" in the instrument cluster, the wire goes to a dead end. I went as far as stripping the coating on the clusters circit board, and there is nothing there. So this wire is useless, as the 4WS worked without it.

On the Fuel pump, everything is the same and all wiring tie-ins are at the tank. I elminated the low fuel light wiring as i dont need this on the probe. The only differance in the wiring there is the W/Y wire is solid white on the probe. Only thing I have to do is find a mounting spot for the Transfer pump control unit, and run a tie-in to the fuel pump relay at the dash.

Said-To-Be-Impossible Task 1 - DONE

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-6-08, 23:50 Thread Starter

According to the wiring diagrams, there is no steering sensor in the Steering column, only the steering angle sensor in the rear. There is no wiring from the control unit that goes to the steering column...

There really isnt much to wiring the control box and timer unit, theres a few wires that connect one-another, the rest go to sensors and power/ground.

Have not yet mounted the rear rack, thats this weekend project...wanted to get the hardest part (wiring) out of the way first.

The only thing i see now as a slight issue (that no-one has seemed to notice) is the front steering rack mounting... the passanger side mount is much "taller" than the standard racks....about double in length. I will either have to cut off the MX6 on and re-weld it to the probe, or rework the probe one with some sort of extention bracket..havent looked too much into it yet.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-08, 20:49 Thread Starter

Got bored today after dis-mantleing the rear 4WS sub-frame for cleaning and painting, so I figured Id Mythbuster another "fact"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.MX6.com
just the fact that you will need to use the Mx6 gauge cluster.....should have deterred him from trying to undertake the project.
Im guessing this was brought up due to the 4WS light and speed sensor...

For the speed sensor, going off my instint and knowledge of the Probe and MX6 virtually being the same car, I assumed the speedo's were the same...and they are...at least in there design/setup, not the calibration due to the differant sweep/MPH range. The Probe and MX6 share the exact same speed sensor and even the numbers on the sensor were the same between the two....problem #1 solved....

For the light....Pic is self explanitory...The spot its in was un-used and has a circuit all its own tied to the wiring harness connectory...All i have to do is run the wire from the 4WS control unit to the instrument cluster connector....problem #2 solved...

Hopefully I wont have to work next saturday and I can mount the rear subframe and start transfering some of the rear components on the probe (gas tank, rear P/S lines, transfer shaft, etc...)....
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-08, 18:29 Thread Starter

Here's the moment everyone has been waiting for....

All shot with my NEW 10 megapix Digital Camara....yea, its nice and a hell of alot better than my old one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphillips626 View Post
In the FSM it shows how the sub frames may look the same but are actually differnet measurements.

In time.... In time.... you'll see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by compnut21 View Post
sorry to tell you, but it wont swap into a non 4ws car. the...chassis is different to support the 4ws box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by compnut21 View Post
all the rear suspension is different....you would practically have to chop the ass off your probe and weld on the mx6 one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by defiler View Post
Im...not convinced the rear subframes will swap. I measured the other day while doing a suspension swap (But it was dark) and the measurements didnt come up right. Im waiting to confirm my measurements tomorrow.

Please, dont all of you post your apoligies for being wrong all at once

Out with the old (2WS sub-frame)....

In with the new (4WS sub-frame)...

And for the doubters, to prove its on a PROBE...

Last edited by d0zxmustang; 10-19-08 at 19:00.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-08, 10:16 Thread Starter

Finished making the mounts for the steering angle transfer shaft at work yesterday....These support the center shaft at two points... One on the side of the "tunnel" and one at the rear crossmember at the front of the gas tank. Made these out of aluminum....

Old MX6 Mounts, locations, and location numbers....

Mounts and their location number...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-08, 18:13 Thread Starter

Got some more work done today...

Mounted the aluminum center-shaft mounts (pictured in a few posts above).

Mounts Installed

Wanted to note that I had to remove one of the fuel tank mounts to install mount #1. With the two drivers side mounts and strap still intact, it wont affect anything with it removed, as it was on the strap side of the tanks center.

Center-Shaft Mocked-Up

Installed the 4WS gas tank, and mounted the subframe back up (not pictured). All the fuel lines and tank mounts lined up exacltly in the same spots as the probes. Did discover that in fact the straps between the 4WS and 2WS models are indeed differant....

4WS Specific Gas Tank Installed

Note center portion of tank "notched" for center-shaft..

Differances in Tank Straps

Water-proofed the control unit. On the MX6, It is mounted to the bottom of the rear speaker tray....Since the probe doesnt have this, Im forced to mount it behind the rear side panle. Doing this will expose the box to possible water damage, and no-one wants that. So I found a sturdy peice of clear plastic and trimmed it to size. I smudged a little RTV sealer around the edges and mounted the plastic to the back. Also sealed up the area around the wiring exiting the box.....

Fuel Transfer Pump Control Box

Before

After

Also started on the wiring inside the car. Almost finished the fuel pump control wiring, will have more pics later this week...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-08, 15:10 Thread Starter

Finished the final assembly of rear subframe today.....the rear steering rack is alot cleaner in person ....

Just enough room between the spare tire well and steering rack.....very close tolerance there.....

Started Re-assembling the rear suspension....spindles, control arm, trailing arm....Also took the time to install the Tokico Blues and Eibachs, and will install my stainless steel brake hoses when I put teh calipers back on...

BTW, These things are beefy...Trailing arms are a solid peice of steel, control arm is stout....alot more than standard 2ws models, and the bushings seem to be alot stiffer as well....that alone seems to be enough to say the handleing would be better stock-for-stock....

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-08, 18:34 Thread Starter

Today I finished the last big hurdle....

I have found one thing differant between the 2WS and 4WS that is not just a "bolt on"....

The passanger side mount for the front power steering rack is differant.

As some of you know, the 4WS uses a differant design of rack that incorprates a secondary shaft that exits the rear, in which transfers the steering angle of the front p/s rack to the rear p/s rack...

This means some cutting and welding.....

2WS P/S Mounts...

4WS P/S Mounts...

4WS mount removed, cleaned, ground, and drilled for spot welds....

New mount welded up....theres three spot welds on all for sides in their factory locations, plus a little extra just to be safe

"New" 4WS front P/S rack mounted

All thats left now is run the P/S lines front-to-rear, install the steering angle transfer shaft, swap in my 4WS instrument cluster, and drop in a spare engine to test the system....Should all be done week after christmas....stay tuned....

Last edited by d0zxmustang; 12-21-08 at 18:41.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-08, 17:29 Thread Starter

Here you go guys...A small video of the system working....I still have to get it aligned and a few odds and edds finished....Once thats done Ill post a driving video

Enjoy!

YouTube - World's 1st 4WS Probe

Last edited by d0zxmustang; 1-1-09 at 10:40.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 1-10-09, 18:23 Thread Starter

Custom reproduction 4ws decal....

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 1-27-09, 21:44

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Comments can be found here: