Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

HELP! Stepper Motor fault

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  chris dea 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi there anyone if you can help me...
A fault code for the stepper motor has come up.
I have removed the stepper motor and found water inside the motor, is it common for the motors to go? or is it in the loom? or is it a sensor? i also did a continuity test from the plug to the stepper motor and its fine and test between all phases (being a induction motor) and had 12 volts

Cheers

#2 ·
If here was water inside its probably bad, they have tight tolerences and rust will jam it up. Also when you take a stepper apart they loose about 1/2 their power.
Whats the stepper for ?
For it to produce a stepper fault there must be some kind of feedback, either an encoder or homeing sensor . That could be the problem, not the stepper.

#3 ·
its for the fws i think it controls the speeds at wich it changes the steering degree from below 30 kmh it snakes and above it crabs for economy . it still worked but only below 30 kmh, above 30 the 4ws light would come on untill you stoped the car and turned it off and it reset it self . somtimes it would come up with a flash code pulsing in segments 4 at a time and to the manual says stepper or wiring loom go figure but like you said i recon it might be a sensor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.