Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Finding a KL-ZE engine

15K views 32 replies 8 participants last post by  valentiner 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Was just wondering if anybody knows any places in Sydney or aus. that are reputable for supplying the KL-Ze engine? So far I've only been able to come up with one place in Qld. that sells them for 2k, and 250 or so to get them sent to NSW - Just wondering if anybody knows of better deals or more local shops?

Cheers,
George

#4 ·
Bingo:tup:. Spot on right there.

I picked up my KLZE for $750 - $850(it was a while back, I forgot) with $25 delivery in Sydney from JustJapanese on Hume Highway Lansvale(google it) with 6 months warranty. Great guys, no bullshit, great engine compression numbers came up great. I checked a while ago and they had 2 left, then someone else checked and they ran out. I would check again if I were you.

ALso MazBits in guildford(from memory) have them as well for a bit more expensive. These guys have a racing Mazda history both piston and Rotary and know there stuff. I think they sold them for $1200-$1500. They do performance stuff so performance prices.

Look on the bright side, SSS automotive (big performance import shop) sell them for $2200 with 3 months warranty.

#7 ·
When it comes down to it the KLZE isnt really a "performance engine" so anyone selling it as one is a toolhead, its ' only' got 40hp more then the DE, and its still got merang internalls, if it was really a " performance engine", then it should have built internals, more aggressive cams, a big fat injectors, big throttle bodyt and a clearer intake, all the klze is , is the "Real" mx6 engine, the DE being the de-tuned downgrade engine to put up with our shittier aussie petrol quality, if you go ZE, its premium from here on in.

#8 ·
The ze intake is better than the DE, the cams are more agressive, and the fuel maps are also more agressive, and its more torquey...

not to mention the better flowing heads

the ZE is actually quite an impressive engine, it took 10 years for lexus to release a 2.5 that could match its power output...

not to mention it will knock around half a second off your quarter mile time, while sounding much more agressive than the DE *shrugs* Id have one, if my DE shits itself, and the petrol change isnt really an issue, DE runs smoother on 95+ anyway

#9 ·
The ZE is a performance engine. When it comes to small displacment NA engines, the ZE is right up there as one of the most impressive. Putting out the same power as a 2000 model type R integra (which it can rip btw) and built in like 1991.

It is an all round improvement over the DE. Revier, torque in the mid range, all round a better drive. 30kw is alot. Plus add your exhaust, headers etc and you have a fast NA fwd car for little money. Could beat, Preludes VTir-s, Type R integras, SSS pulsars, Celicas, corrollas (all types), not to mention having a very good chance(ive beaten, and been beaten) against 180sx's, Rb20det skylines etc etc.

#10 ·
Just japanese has just quoted me 1k for a KL motor in a container at the moment; with a 12 months parts and labour warranty. :)

Now all i gotta figure out if it's the KLZE motor, not the DE...

I'd assume that it would specify the model with the engine number? Am a little sus that they didn't say it's a KLZE motor.

#11 ·
Just Japanase is the best :D. I told ya.

It is genuine, but I would still check before you put it in.

Check what part numbers the heads have stamped on them, the look of the intake manifold, and the cams as welll if can take the cover off without them sooking about it. Good buy though(if you get it), you got double the warranty I did, not that I used it, all their engines are checked before sale:tup:.

The tag wont say KLZE, it will probably just say : Engine: KL 2.5v6, Car: 199* Mazda Mx-6.

And when you are putting it in/geting it put in, Make sure you put the new intake manifold on withit, the mechanic might tell you it wont fit, assure them it will fit and insist on it. Ive heard of heaps of mechanics that try to use the old manifold, mine did till I went there and was like ummmm did you change anything?? :)

#13 ·
They cant tell you K's, and to be honest, I wouldnt worry about it. I bought it then asked for K's, the guys said "on the tag it says 60000kms, but to be honest we can never know because anyone could of wrote that, the car it came from is in Japan so who knows ay". There engines are great anyway, im very happy with mine. Just check compression when you get it, compression check is way more accurate on an engines condition then km check.

#15 ·
If you can google the formula to find it, I think it is like displacement, compression ratio, number of cylinders bore stroke etc etc I dont know now. I think above 200 per cylinder is good. 215 is brand new I think, this is only from memory. Im sure someone in the american section (2nd gen other performance) would know, maybe a search might bring it up. Im pretty sure that in the 215-220 region is brand new.

The main thing to check is that the numbers are within 10% of eachother. I would say if you get numbers over 180 it is a decent engine. My numbers were 170-180 when i first had it done engine cold, did it again a month or so later with engine warm, throttle open and the numbers were alot higher, I dont remember what though because I didnt write them down.

#18 ·
hrmm, does this justjapanese place ship?

#19 ·
give them an email. i have no idea, but I wouldnt see why not. I am sure that you could find a similar place locally. I just looked for wreckers rather then places with a sports car/performance reputation. Ive been to JustJapanese a few times, it is just a big warehouse with old ass jap engines and OEM radios and other random OEM crap. They wouldnt know what a boost controller or external wastegate was.

#21 ·
so did you end up getting yourself one?

And if you did, is it the genuine article ZE?

#22 ·
Just jap is always genuine. The warranty covers, if you find out it is DE pistons or cams, replacement as well. I got that assurance from the guy because he didnt want me to pull apart an engine that I hadnt bought yet. Mine is 100% legit. THis isnt some chinese internet company :).

#23 ·
thats awesome, i shall have to do some ringing around once things calm down a lil, and i get confirmation it is my valve seals on the way out :)

#27 ·
ask them to take some pics, then post them up here, we will tell ya what it is :)

#28 ·
Seemingly they wanna up the price for these engines in future... not happy bout that...

If anybody wants one, just talk to a paul there, and tell him that you're a friend of george who he quoted what i said above for the engine ;) maybe then they won't?

There's some mechanic there too offering to do fully swap inc. oil and coolant and such for a little over $600 too.

#29 ·
$600 for a swap including fluids is very very very very good. I got quoted $1000 etc for the swap from some places. I got it done for $500 and that was major mates rates with my mates boss.

Sux that they want to up the price, maybe all these people im telling, the demand went up or something?? :)

#31 ·
Best way to quickly tell is by the Inlet manifold (IM)…. make sure it’s not the EUNOS 800 (curved neck and all together rounder looking); It can be a problem fitting in the MX6.

The ZE IM has a longer straighter neck to the TB. (not curved forward at 45 degrees like the KLDE). And has a “hump” going North West in the centre at the back.
I’m sure we can dig you up some pictures if you don’t know what they look like..

But be wary as the KFZE has the same looking inlet manifold so make sure you check the following
The throttle body Should read KL31
The heads, One should read KL31-101 and the other KL31-1A1
The CAMS: Should read KL-31
The PISTONS should be flat (not concave) kinda hard to spot this one but if you pull a spark plug and shine a light down in there to see the top of the piston. But if the others are correct chances are this will be to.

good luck mate...

Oh and see if you can scam a Kl31 ecu and JE50 vaf

Cheers..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.