LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 1-12-08, 6:35 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

Finding a KL-ZE engine

Hey guys,

Was just wondering if anybody knows any places in Sydney or aus. that are reputable for supplying the KL-Ze engine? So far I've only been able to come up with one place in Qld. that sells them for 2k, and 250 or so to get them sent to NSW - Just wondering if anybody knows of better deals or more local shops?

Cheers,
George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 1-12-08, 6:39

Power: 5

Ive read the best place to go for is an import wreckers, ask for 2.5l V6 from a MX6 or 626, or millenaS if you're boosting, dont say its a performance engine, and bobs you're uncle...

Worst thread ever.

'97 MX6 4WS
'02 RX7 RS 300whp
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 1-12-08, 9:26
KickUps Champion

Adelaide Jap Dismantlers

sure thats the URL

CAR: Nissan SKY80 \\
Previous: S13 Silvia CA18 // KLDE TX5 //

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcrapp View Post
how do you know when a woman is lying? her mouth is moving. :X :X :X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 1-12-08, 9:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhale71 View Post
Ive read the best place to go for is an import wreckers, ask for 2.5l V6 from a MX6 or 626, or millenaS if you're boosting, dont say its a performance engine, and bobs you're uncle...
Bingo. Spot on right there.

I picked up my KLZE for $750 - $850(it was a while back, I forgot) with $25 delivery in Sydney from JustJapanese on Hume Highway Lansvale(google it) with 6 months warranty. Great guys, no bullshit, great engine compression numbers came up great. I checked a while ago and they had 2 left, then someone else checked and they ran out. I would check again if I were you.

ALso MazBits in guildford(from memory) have them as well for a bit more expensive. These guys have a racing Mazda history both piston and Rotary and know there stuff. I think they sold them for $1200-$1500. They do performance stuff so performance prices.

Look on the bright side, SSS automotive (big performance import shop) sell them for $2200 with 3 months warranty.

200kw KLZE-T
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 1-12-08, 16:03 Thread Starter

Thanks for that guys.

I've emailed every jap wrecker in the yellow pages after reading that 1st reply, and now i know that the shops stated above can get them, will be getting one shortly hopefully
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 1-12-08, 18:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3bb4 View Post
Thanks for that guys.

I've emailed every jap wrecker in the yellow pages after reading that 1st reply, and now i know that the shops stated above can get them, will be getting one shortly hopefully
Make sure you let us know where you end up getting it from, what prices certain wreckers quoted you etc etc. So that we can keep track of what they are worth to people, and to help the next person that is looking for one.

200kw KLZE-T
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 1-13-08, 1:39

When it comes down to it the KLZE isnt really a "performance engine" so anyone selling it as one is a toolhead, its ' only' got 40hp more then the DE, and its still got merang internalls, if it was really a " performance engine", then it should have built internals, more aggressive cams, a big fat injectors, big throttle bodyt and a clearer intake, all the klze is , is the "Real" mx6 engine, the DE being the de-tuned downgrade engine to put up with our shittier aussie petrol quality, if you go ZE, its premium from here on in.

Worst thread ever.

'97 MX6 4WS
'02 RX7 RS 300whp
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 1-13-08, 2:19

The ze intake is better than the DE, the cams are more agressive, and the fuel maps are also more agressive, and its more torquey...

not to mention the better flowing heads

the ZE is actually quite an impressive engine, it took 10 years for lexus to release a 2.5 that could match its power output...

not to mention it will knock around half a second off your quarter mile time, while sounding much more agressive than the DE *shrugs* Id have one, if my DE shits itself, and the petrol change isnt really an issue, DE runs smoother on 95+ anyway

1993 626 KL-ZE, i swear its stock officer...
From SAE 920677... "LONG LIFE AND MAINTENANCE-FREE - Efforts were made to extend the life of these engines and make them as maintenance-free as possible so that customers can be pleased with the vehicle's quality long after the initial driving period."
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 1-13-08, 3:01

The ZE is a performance engine. When it comes to small displacment NA engines, the ZE is right up there as one of the most impressive. Putting out the same power as a 2000 model type R integra (which it can rip btw) and built in like 1991.

It is an all round improvement over the DE. Revier, torque in the mid range, all round a better drive. 30kw is alot. Plus add your exhaust, headers etc and you have a fast NA fwd car for little money. Could beat, Preludes VTir-s, Type R integras, SSS pulsars, Celicas, corrollas (all types), not to mention having a very good chance(ive beaten, and been beaten) against 180sx's, Rb20det skylines etc etc.

200kw KLZE-T
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 1-13-08, 19:05 Thread Starter

Just japanese has just quoted me 1k for a KL motor in a container at the moment; with a 12 months parts and labour warranty.

Now all i gotta figure out if it's the KLZE motor, not the DE...

I'd assume that it would specify the model with the engine number? Am a little sus that they didn't say it's a KLZE motor.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 1-13-08, 20:44

Just Japanase is the best . I told ya.

It is genuine, but I would still check before you put it in.

Check what part numbers the heads have stamped on them, the look of the intake manifold, and the cams as welll if can take the cover off without them sooking about it. Good buy though(if you get it), you got double the warranty I did, not that I used it, all their engines are checked before sale.

The tag wont say KLZE, it will probably just say : Engine: KL 2.5v6, Car: 199* Mazda Mx-6.

And when you are putting it in/geting it put in, Make sure you put the new intake manifold on withit, the mechanic might tell you it wont fit, assure them it will fit and insist on it. Ive heard of heaps of mechanics that try to use the old manifold, mine did till I went there and was like ummmm did you change anything??

200kw KLZE-T
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 1-14-08, 1:38 Thread Starter

Sweet. Thanks for the info. Will 99% sure get it Still haven't had a reply with additional info i asked for yet (ks of the motor, when they'll have it in, etc.).
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 1-14-08, 4:13

They cant tell you K's, and to be honest, I wouldnt worry about it. I bought it then asked for K's, the guys said "on the tag it says 60000kms, but to be honest we can never know because anyone could of wrote that, the car it came from is in Japan so who knows ay". There engines are great anyway, im very happy with mine. Just check compression when you get it, compression check is way more accurate on an engines condition then km check.

200kw KLZE-T
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 1-14-08, 6:44 Thread Starter

Yeah, i know. Anybody know the std. compression figures for these motors? Just so i have a better idea
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 1-15-08, 5:48

If you can google the formula to find it, I think it is like displacement, compression ratio, number of cylinders bore stroke etc etc I dont know now. I think above 200 per cylinder is good. 215 is brand new I think, this is only from memory. Im sure someone in the american section (2nd gen other performance) would know, maybe a search might bring it up. Im pretty sure that in the 215-220 region is brand new.

The main thing to check is that the numbers are within 10% of eachother. I would say if you get numbers over 180 it is a decent engine. My numbers were 170-180 when i first had it done engine cold, did it again a month or so later with engine warm, throttle open and the numbers were alot higher, I dont remember what though because I didnt write them down.

200kw KLZE-T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List