I am looking to overhaul many things on my car the coming year, I think time has come to inspect everything to see what direction i'd like to take with the car.
On my todo list we have (Not in any specific order):
- Sourcing of original engine mountings. Yes you heard right - I still haven't been able to find these or the cross member that comes with them. If anyone from the forums can help me out, please let me know
- Replacing of rear sway bar and bushings, if anyone has an aftermarket part they would like to punt now is the time
- Restoring of valve cover, it is in the same condition as the day I bought the motor, paint chips and slight gold fade.
- Uprating of coil, To something better (Any ideas? How are MSD single coils?) Would coil packs be possible? Are they of any benefit to me? How does one set these up
- I want to replace spark plug wires with something aftermarket, if any are proven (dyno) to be better than stock bougi cords.
- I want to check my cam specs. I know I have a high comp motor straight out of Japan but have no idea what cams are in it. If they are [email protected]
then i'd like to buy a set of FE5A's <--- Are these the best stock cams? Does one slap two of them in or a FE3N / FE5A setup? Are there aftermarket cams which will be of greater benefit without loosing too much low down torque?
- I want to replace all suspension parts, the ride is hard and I am looking at an alternative drop, maybe 35mm max (I have 45mm on gabrial gas ryder shocks and N-Force 45mm al'cheapo springs). Maybe ride is hard because the shocks are bottoming out? The shocks I bought are stock 2.0 16v parts for this car (SA 323 hatch, think its a BG or BF? Used to know these things... now i've forgotten)
- Replace injectors for RC items, if they have stock sizing (What are our injectors btw? I remember 190cc - the stickied thread evo maintained doesn't open anymore so I cant check)
- Replace fuel pump with a Walbro item, Any ideas. Would it make a difference buying for turbo application but running it on a NA car?
- Reseat my dash... after removing it once - it hasn't stopped rattling
There is nothing worse than rattles in a car.
- Remount my ECU to another location, perhaps in the engine bay. I've found I really don't need it in cabin - hardly adjust fueling on the go. Also where it is mounted is directly below a mp3 player and directly above a equaliser. I am thinking EMI at this area is pretty high with all the current and RCA cables in and out of there. It must impact the ECU whether sound is being used or not. (Must be a trickle feed of power all the time).
- Respray the car to original red without the sticker stripes on the side (as originally bought). Anyone have ideas for the bumper? How do I restore it back to original black shine? How do cars of today with black bumpers manage to stay that colour for years? Is it painted mat black?
- Replace mud flaps. Jack Russles enjoy those.
- Remount my exhaust. The guys that did it before didn't bend it perfectly - as a result everynow and then I snap a stabilising rubber.
- Run a proper earth from motor to car chassis. If anyone has done this what areas can I safely use? I've forgotten how to connect earthing kits too, as far as I can recall the battery was involved too?
- And last but not least (for now) I want to replace my spark plugs lol! NGK has recommended Iridium IX's (They would :P) part numbers BKR6EIX or BKR7EIX. Is the 6EIX the hotter or the colder plug?
What did the original high compression motor use heat range wise? I dont want to replace plugs and have the motor ping. I use 95 Ron
Cheers all, will update this thread as I get items done (I am busy so it wont be too often :P)