LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 7-12-19, 20:26 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Power: 0

Wanted: VJ11/tbird hybrid + custom o2 Housing and dump dips

Hi guys.
I am looking for a tbird hybrid turboor a tbird turbo that I can make into a hybrid as well as a a 2.5” o2 housing and dump pipe.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 7-15-19, 18:19

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Power: 5

Garage
I have 2 O2 housings from when they had the bulk buy a long time ago. I believe they are stainless.

$200 each

Mx-7 Project reborn! -F2T in a FC RX-7 (400hp?)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 7-19-19, 9:58

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Have a pic of this? I'm interested. But as always, trying to figure this out.

It's an additional bung so I can run wideband correct? Therefore not replacing the factory or risking cel. Picture should explain, but is it requiring the stock manifold?

Thanks for any info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMx-6 View Post
I have 2 O2 housings from when they had the bulk buy a long time ago. I believe they are stainless.

$200 each

if you see me, take a good look. i wont be around for long!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 7-19-19, 10:18

I found the bulk buy post.

Are yours two bung or singles?

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 7-19-19, 13:45

Quoted: 90 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0smokedrice View Post

It's best to run the wideband o2 in the downpipe not the o2 housing.
So run the narrowband o2 sensor in the o2housing and have a bung welded to the downpipe.

you don't want a hybrid anything, you want a ford thunderbird IHI center section and compressor housing or a 1991 - 1994 subaru legacy 5speed manual VF11 turbo it's the same as a t-bird and also fits in the vj11 turbine housing.
If you put a compressor wheel on a vj11 you have to have the turbo shaft and wheels balanced and the upgrade isn't worth the expense of a balancing or hassle of disassembling the turbo.

I don't know what your power goals are, but if you want to make any real power than move to garrett turbo's right away, IHI and Mistubishi turbo's don't fair well with the F2T, they have small compressor housings that create lot's of heat and due to the low end flow/torque of the engine they have sudden spool up and the turbo bearings don't like that. Any turbo with as small center shaft will eventually die at high boost on an F2T.

If your power goals are modest than get the T-bird or FV11 and the O2 housing, put in premium gas and run 15psi.
Turbos have a flow rating in CFM or Lb/min this is their maximum flow within their efficiency zone. With some turbo's you can pass that area if you can cool the charge air properly but not with small IHI, from what I recall the VJ-11 is rated to flow 21lb/min about 210 Bhp worth of air (about 180whp). any more and the center shaft will snap in two and it's not boost related but air flow related so the more supporting mods that are added (intercooler pipe upgrade, ported head, better flowing exhaust manifold, O2 housing, larger exhaust ...) the less boost it takes to hit the 21lb/min wall, the only improvements to be had with better flow are in spool up and how the turbo breaths at higher rpm but the maximum flow limit stays the same.
A garret/air research 45trim T3 is also rated to flow 21 lb/min but will handle 25psi + boost and handle support mods, you can flow 31lb/min through the a t3 45 trim all day long without killing the turbo or bearings.

The easiest is getting a T3 flanged manifold or have a flange welded to an F2T manifold and find a 1988/1989 saab 9000 with a T3 45trim, get the complete turbo, O2 housing and dowpipe and run that.
Afterwards upgrading the turbo, turbine housing, o2 housing... is bolt on with limitless option's of brands and trims that bolt to a T3 turbo flange rated up to and above 60lb/min air flow.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mazdacarnage
BUILD IT, BEAT IT, BREAK IT, REBUILD IT, BEAT IT MORE, BREAK IT AGAIN, BUILD IT BETTER, BEAT IT THE MOST AND ?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 7-19-19, 23:49 Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thanks Dark-mx6, what country are you in and I’ll see what the exchange rate is.
Thanks
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 7-21-19, 10:23

This post is incredible. Thanks for taking the time!

I bought a t3 manifold, so I'm going to be ditching the IHI. I agree. More power and more options available.

Great advice with sourcing a 1988/1989 saab 9000 with a T3 45trim. I'll see if that's a realistic find as I'm sure there getting tougher to find as years pass.

Does that Saab downpipe have appropriate bends to mate with our cat? I was thinking I would need to have downpipe made.

Love the advice. It's fun being back in the f2t world. I was a poor kid the last round so upgrades were more of a dream back then.

Times have changed! I want some real power. North of 350 on this motor Is my aim, with future fe3t build down the road.

Bought my 89 pgt from original owner last month. He had papers for everything including window sticker and original finance agreement. It's been well kept, and I'm intending to do the same but also upgrade. 😉

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda Carnage View Post
Quote:

It's best to run the wideband o2 in the downpipe not the o2 housing.
So run the narrowband o2 sensor in the o2housing and have a bung welded to the downpipe.

you don't want a hybrid anything, you want a ford thunderbird IHI center section and compressor housing or a 1991 - 1994 subaru legacy 5speed manual VF11 turbo it's the same as a t-bird and also fits in the vj11 turbine housing.
If you put a compressor wheel on a vj11 you have to have the turbo shaft and wheels balanced and the upgrade isn't worth the expense of a balancing or hassle of disassembling the turbo.

I don't know what your power goals are, but if you want to make any real power than move to garrett turbo's right away, IHI and Mistubishi turbo's don't fair well with the F2T, they have small compressor housings that create lot's of heat and due to the low end flow/torque of the engine they have sudden spool up and the turbo bearings don't like that. Any turbo with as small center shaft will eventually die at high boost on an F2T.

If your power goals are modest than get the T-bird or FV11 and the O2 housing, put in premium gas and run 15psi.
Turbos have a flow rating in CFM or Lb/min this is their maximum flow within their efficiency zone. With some turbo's you can pass that area if you can cool the charge air properly but not with small IHI, from what I recall the VJ-11 is rated to flow 21lb/min about 210 Bhp worth of air (about 180whp). any more and the center shaft will snap in two and it's not boost related but air flow related so the more supporting mods that are added (intercooler pipe upgrade, ported head, better flowing exhaust manifold, O2 housing, larger exhaust ...) the less boost it takes to hit the 21lb/min wall, the only improvements to be had with better flow are in spool up and how the turbo breaths at higher rpm but the maximum flow limit stays the same.
A garret/air research 45trim T3 is also rated to flow 21 lb/min but will handle 25psi + boost and handle support mods, you can flow 31lb/min through the a t3 45 trim all day long without killing the turbo or bearings.

The easiest is getting a T3 flanged manifold or have a flange welded to an F2T manifold and find a 1988/1989 saab 9000 with a T3 45trim, get the complete turbo, O2 housing and dowpipe and run that.
Afterwards upgrading the turbo, turbine housing, o2 housing... is bolt on with limitless option's of brands and trims that bolt to a T3 turbo flange rated up to and above 60lb/min air flow.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 7-22-19, 14:10

Garage
Quote:
Have a pic of this? I'm interested. But as always, trying to figure this out.

It's an additional bung so I can run wideband correct? Therefore not replacing the factory or risking cel. Picture should explain, but is it requiring the stock manifold?

Thanks for any info.
sorry I don't and I have them 5 hours from me. By the aug 5th I should be back and have them in hand if I can find them.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 7-22-19, 14:11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malby View Post
Thanks Dark-mx6, what country are you in and Iíll see what the exchange rate is.
Thanks
I'm in Texas, USA

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 8-22-19, 20:43

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm interested I tried pm you but wont let me paypal ready
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 8-22-19, 20:44

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malby View Post
Thanks Dark-mx6, what country are you in and I’ll see what the exchange rate is.
Thanks
I'm in Texas, USA

Let me know how much shipping to 11230
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-4-19, 18:35

Garage
I'm really sorry guys I moved and I cannot find them! when I do I'll try to check-in here again.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-8-19, 16:19

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
I'm really sorry guys I moved and I cannot find them! when I do I'll try to check-in here again.

Iím in for some goodies too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2008 Legacy GT Spec.B - Quartz Silver Metallic | Not Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page