Exhaust heat shields are they needed? - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-08, 6:32 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 5

Question Exhaust heat shields are they needed?

I know there are a number of peeps that believe if the manufacturer put an item on a car they probably had good reason to do so but Im not in that camp; especially re heat shields.

I wondered what the thoughts on this site were of them? I am especially thinking of the centre exhaust heat shield on my 323f 1.5 ours rusted one end and I repaired it with a jubilee clip only for a split to appear on the other end near the bolts. I have now removed it completely and plan to run without it.

I personally cant see the risk of fire from the heat at that point of the exhaust anyway though I would like to hear other peoples opinion. I have often removed heat shielding on manifolds of other cars and never noticed an issue re starting/running/fuel consumption etc, even on turbo cars like my 200SX.

Born with a steering wheel in his hands . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-08, 19:03

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I dont use mine but I dont run cats any more so the exhaust runs cooler in that area.

I also run headers so I dont have manifold shields noe and I burned a ignition cable bad. It's partly the cables fault though. The set I got fit badly and the front ones either hang half way to the ground or are looped a couple times on the VC.

The shifter bushings are vulnerable to heat too. Especialy if they are stock rubber ones. And the rubber of the shifter base tends to fail on high mile cars so I think heat might make it worse.

96 MX-6 full exhaust A/C delete spoiler delete probe wheels and a turbo in the worx. 01 626 brake's98 626 sway bar Altima rear sway bar links.http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2934576

90 pontiac transam. 350 TPI motor new 24# injectors. Rebuilt trans. lots to come.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-08, 4:59

Its all about long term reliability - hot engine bays lead to hoses, pipes, leads everything - cracking and wearing out prematurely. Thats why the factory puts them there and no way in hell im removing mine.

Oh, hot engine bays are not conducive to performance either.

"Lack of pu ssy makes you brave man!!"
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug!!"
"What the fu*k is GOONY GU GU??"
"Mm mm mmm, that IS a tasty burger !! "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-08, 12:00

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thats all mostly true except that the shields dont realy make a difference in the engine boy temp. After all the heat has no where else to go so the engine bay aver time will be just as warm.

96 MX-6 full exhaust A/C delete spoiler delete probe wheels and a turbo in the worx. 01 626 brake's98 626 sway bar Altima rear sway bar links.http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2934576

90 pontiac transam. 350 TPI motor new 24# injectors. Rebuilt trans. lots to come.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-08, 14:48

some places require them cause exhausts run near a/c lines or vac lines. keep those. if it is a heat shield to keep if from something that obviously doesn't need it than remove it.

it's like most cars having dust guards bolted behind rotors. those hold in heat like a crazy mofo. rally cars don't use them either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
I'll take "Cars you shouldn't own while living in an open parking apartment complex for $1000 Alex"
check out the weekend/road racing baby of mine!
http://www.cardomain.com/Ride/382066...rolet-corvette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page