question about engine swaps - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-3-10, 0:46 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 5

question about engine swaps

my mothers 2000 protege recently had a major malfunction, such as my 17 yr old nephew drove it dry with a cracked radiator. so Im thinking warped/cracked head, cracked block, or blown headgasket.

regardless of which it is, we're planning on replacing the engine.

now I have several questions that would determine the route we take.
her engine is a 1.6L ATX
1. I was wondering if a 1.8L engine will bolt up to her trans without modification ?
2. could I use the 1.8L from my 94 protege with an MTX ?
3. if so, would there be any modification required and how much ?

since Im thinking of swapping in a different engine in the protege anyways, maybe (if I can find one) an 03 MSP engine, or maybe even an MX3 6 cyl, this would sort of take care of my mother while giving me a jump start on my project.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

2k3.5 Protege5 - - stock DD
1993 MX-6 LS -- still a work in progress....*black beauty*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-3-10, 10:03

I have no idea about the 1.6, but I know for a fact that the 1.8 is almost identical to the 2.0 found in the RS MX-6. Those are pretty easy to find in junkers depending on your area. Also, you could do a KL-ZE/DE swap in there since they share the same wheel hub/bearing spline count and motor mounts IIRC, while at the same time going for a 5 bolt conversion. The only thing heavily required would be relocating the battery and wiring it up. The K8 being almost identical exterior wise to the KL's would be good too.

Elegance Auto Detailing
Your Heart Beats, Mine Rotates!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-3-10, 12:27

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

There's a guy on FEOA.net that has a BP swapped into his MSP. I would expect the swap to be pretty similar.

I do not believe it will be a drop in and go affair, since your 94 protege is a BG chassis, while the later Protege is not.

Joey is somewhat correct, but the BP (1.8) is probably closer to the FE3 than the FS-DE.

If this Protege is your project, then i'd go ahead and swap a K-something into it. If it's to remain your mother's car, then just dump another 1.6 into it.

“One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.”

— Jeremy Clarkson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-3-10, 15:50 Thread Starter

it was hopefully going to be both
oh well, it was just a thought so we could avoid having to find a decent 1.6 for a decent price.
I was talking to corksport about a 1.6 they pulled from a 99 to turn the car into a racer, but now were kind of stuck as they cant accept a CC unless it matches the shipping address, which since it would be going to a shop, that wouldnt be the case.

anyways, I may still go with a swap in my protege, here is what Im thinking:
swap in the mx3 v6, use a 626 5 spd trans and then boost it
I know, it would be a huge project, and it may not come to fruition, but if things work out it would be a fun little car, and prolly pretty quick.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-4-10, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0sitmatr View Post
it was hopefully going to be both
oh well, it was just a thought so we could avoid having to find a decent 1.6 for a decent price.
I was talking to corksport about a 1.6 they pulled from a 99 to turn the car into a racer, but now were kind of stuck as they cant accept a CC unless it matches the shipping address, which since it would be going to a shop, that wouldnt be the case.

anyways, I may still go with a swap in my protege, here is what Im thinking:
swap in the mx3 v6, use a 626 5 spd trans and then boost it
I know, it would be a huge project, and it may not come to fruition, but if things work out it would be a fun little car, and prolly pretty quick.

Why not just use the MX3 trans?

And honestly.. i wouldn't even mess with the K8 unless you're doing it just to be different. It's not the strongest of motors.

“One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.”

— Jeremy Clarkson
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-4-10, 15:06 Thread Starter

I was thinking (hoping) the K8 would be a pretty straight drop, easier to accomplish than a de mostly due to size.
but I havent even begun looking into it so Im sure my opinion will change numerous times if I decided to go forward with the project.

the main reason for the 626 trans is the gearing, Ive read it has the longest gears of any of the mid/late 90's era mazda. which would help to offset the larger engine for fuel economy.
(again, hopefully)

the turbo might not make it into the equation in the end, but I do think it would be a good runner.

of course, I also have been thinking of an mx6GT swap, which might work better all around.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-4-10, 22:27

DE and k8 are the same size motor. differences are all internal, other then the intake mani. your not saving any room by doing a k8 over a de. and the mx6 uses the same gearing and trans as the 626. the probe and mx3 use shorter gearing.

~Patrick~

http://www.pmx626.com/ Your all in one Probe, MX-6, 626 Search engine.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-4-10, 23:08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoxidechild View Post
DE and k8 are the same size motor. differences are all internal, other then the intake mani. your not saving any room by doing a k8 over a de. and the mx6 uses the same gearing and trans as the 626. the probe and mx3 use shorter gearing.
thank you for that info.
although I do remember reading in several different threads the 626 has a taller 5th gear ?

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-6-10, 8:58

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I like the FS02 . Its got good torque and has a lot of potential too.
Whats the bore/stroke of a 2L BP (miata) vs a 2L FS02 (mx6/626) ?

A 4 cylinder is lighter and has more potential than a V6 in a small car.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-6-10, 9:06 Thread Starter

not sure, I havent even begun to delve into these things yet.

I agree though, staying with a 4cyl platform will allow more freedom down the road. Im seriously considering turning this car into a trackday car and see what I can do with it.
seeing as I live less than 20 mins from Sebring Int speedway, we have events all the time in the area.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-6-10, 9:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARKEN View Post
I like the FS02 . Its got good torque and has a lot of potential too.
Whats the bore/stroke of a 2L BP (miata) vs a 2L FS02 (mx6/626) ?

A 4 cylinder is lighter and has more potential than a V6 in a small car.
The 2 litre in the Miata isn't a B-series motor... it's an MZR.

87.5mm bore, 83.1 stroke.

— Jeremy Clarkson
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-6-10, 16:31

yup. the newer miata with the 2.0 is a MZR. the older one's with the 1.8 were the BP. and the even older ones with the 1.6 were a B6

~Patrick~

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-10, 18:22

A ford Duratec (last few years) is the same as a MRZ .
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-10, 18:28

yup. the duratech is just the ford version of the MZR when it comes to the 4 cyl's. hell a ranger 2.3 duratech is pretty much a MZR with no balance shafts and a slightly different head.

~Patrick~

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 1-1-11, 13:11

The 1.8L joeyV reffered to is the FP engine. A 1.8L version of the 2.0L FS. The older cars with the 1.8L use the BP (or sometimes a sohc version of the B series).
The FP didnt come state side though, your 1.6L is a B6 variant and is related to the older BP motor.

You can infact swap a BP into your B6 equipped car very easily as the bell pattern is the same and the motors them selves are all but identical(the BP is longer for larger bores so many parts dont swap) the 1.6 will likely have the F series transmission where the BP usualy got the stronger G series but without boost you shouldnt have any problems.

Keep in mind that a 99 or newer protege is not related at all to any of the older B chassis cars like the 323 or mx3. It is infact the same platform as the 2G mx6 and probe along with the last 2 generations of the 626.

A KL swap is physicaly a bolt in proccess, the engine management is up to you but you could ether go stand alone or splice a KL harness into your chassis harness. It has been done before so check out the protege sections on the other mazda forums for solutions.

IMO the simplest solution is to swap a KL-G4 from a 98+ 626 complete with harness. It'll keep everything the same generation (electronics) and allow you to keep the protege guages and possibly the sub harnesses. The G4 also has the best intake and electronics of almost any K series.

If you get a whole 626 donor car the brakes are a huge upgrade over protege parts along with a 5 lug swap and several other improved suspension pieces.

96 MX-6 full exhaust A/C delete spoiler delete probe wheels and a turbo in the worx. 01 626 brake's98 626 sway bar Altima rear sway bar links.http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2934576

90 pontiac transam. 350 TPI motor new 24# injectors. Rebuilt trans. lots to come.

Last edited by ls six; 1-1-11 at 13:17.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page