hughes46's 93ls - rebirth of a legend - Page 7 - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 292 (permalink) Old 5-2-05, 22:57

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Power: 5

^ it is, i took a look at it this week in person and the paint is stunning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 292 (permalink) Old 5-4-05, 21:19

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

O, cmon man let us see more of this. We cant wait till u show more pics
post #93 of 292 (permalink) Old 5-5-05, 17:55

Power: 0

holy [shizzle] im still waiting on newer pics too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 292 (permalink) Old 5-5-05, 21:41

ok maybe it is just me, or maybe i'm missinformed, but how do you feel safe putting all that paint overtop of all the paint you had before? i mean, all the primer you had over the silver, then what looked like gold and clear over that, then what looked like more surfacer, then that silver/candy/clear. that is a lot, and i mean a lot of film build. not to sound like an a-hole, but man, i would be seriously scared of cracking/chipping. but other than that, very inspired to get my shitter in the shop for a long date with the same razor you used.
post #95 of 292 (permalink) Old 5-5-05, 21:54 Thread Starter

Garage
Well, eventually, all cars get scratched/chipped or whatever. If I were putting 18 straight coats of wet paint on in a row and not letting the solvents escape in between coats, I MIGHT be concerned about it. However, the biggest problem with paint build-up is chipping off of edges from ill fitting parts. Therefore, we spent dozens (if not hundreds) getting everything to line up just so. Also, we are spraying base/clear and not the old laquer and enamels that were notorious for cracking. Also, when spraying the clear with the tint in it, you are dusting on thin dry coats to achieve your color and depth. The final two straight clear coats give it the gloss and allow for a final wet sand and buff (which is what I am doing now). Also, since I own the bodyshop, I am not overly concerned about having to eventually reshoot it and I don't plan on using it for a daily driver - maybe just every other day
post #96 of 292 (permalink) Old 5-5-05, 22:00

mike, i don't want to get on your bad side, so i won't argue with you. all i'm saying is i can't see myself doing it that way. it is your car, your money, and your shop. run it the way you want. all that really matters to others is the way it looks in the end. and i an sure it will look great (at lest i hope). and by the way, i sent you the money for the parts tuesday. thanks.
post #97 of 292 (permalink) Old 5-6-05, 1:33

From what little I know, I understand that modern paint systems when properly applied can deal with some pretty darn high film thicknesses without problems.

I want one of those nifty tools that checks film thickness.

Wikipedia is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG) in which participants play editors of a hypothetical online encyclopedia, where they try to insert misinformation that they are randomly assigned when they create their accounts, while preventing contrary information from being entered by others. Players with similar misinformation to promote will generally form "guilds" in order to aid each other.
post #98 of 292 (permalink) Old 5-6-05, 6:32 Thread Starter

Garage
You can't get the really "deep" look without the thickness. Some of those custom bikes and cars you see built on the discovery channel have in the neighborhood of 70 Coats of paint. I did a custom chopper for a guy and by the time it was done, I know I had about 30 coats on it. He drove the bike all last year and never had a problem (even with stone chipping) and it suprised me too. You have to decide what you want. You either want that incredible paint job (and take any chances that go along with it), or you want a daily driver. What I am doing to this car is not for everyone or to everyone's taste. I am building it the way I want for me (that is the purpose after all - it doesn't have to impress anyone EXCEPT ME). You would be surprised how many people building a car for themselves lose that perspective when building their own cars. I can't count the number of times I have started working on some part of it or fabbing a custom part for it and after about 20 or 30 hours of work decided that I didn't like the way it would look on the car. The guys at work think I am nuts, but I like to think I am particular....
post #99 of 292 (permalink) Old 5-6-05, 14:12

^ thats the way to be... Its all about yourself, and your tastes.

Well stated.
post #100 of 292 (permalink) Old 5-6-05, 15:19

Hi hughes,

Can I ask where did you buy the hood scoops from? Are you planning to close the holes with some kind of mesh so that dirt or any other substance (snow, rain) penetrates the engine?

Sincerely,

T_Tronix
post #101 of 292 (permalink) Old 5-6-05, 18:41
Eternal College Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTronix
Hi hughes,

Can I ask where did you buy the hood scoops from? Are you planning to close the holes with some kind of mesh so that dirt or any other substance (snow, rain) penetrates the engine?

Sincerely,

T_Tronix
Haha.. he said sincerely.

Maybe he meant to press the PM button?

95 Mx-6 LS. Full 2.5 inch exhaust. Intake. ZE Manifold. FOR SALE!!
99 Acura TL. Stock, and staying that way.
My photography
http://lsu.facebook.com/album.php?ai...29&id=23425016

post #102 of 292 (permalink) Old 5-6-05, 18:42 Thread Starter

Garage
TurboTronix - I built the scoops myself. Yes, eventually there will be black mesh screens in the scoop and those will lead to an aluminum air intake chamber mounted on the underside of the hood. Can't build that yet since I don't know exactly where the supercharger stuff is going to sit.
post #103 of 292 (permalink) Old 5-9-05, 2:18

so when are we gonna see updated pics?

you have no idea how bitchin i think this is

~Chris
post #104 of 292 (permalink) Old 5-9-05, 2:31

Hughes... that car is just fucking amazing. I literally almost shit myself when i saw the pictures after paint. That color is fucking gorgeous, I love it. The perfect color for it too.. god damn I want to see that car in person. Very nice job, and its nice to see when people do stuff for their own liking, I know too many people just doing shit to their car so other people will be impressed or think it looks nice. Fucking amazing..

Memorize quotes. They're useful in ending and winning arguments. Then again, so are semi-automatic weapons.

Stock 1993 Vintage Red MX-6 LS -
Pics Here
post #105 of 292 (permalink) Old 5-11-05, 13:31
Its not butter?!!!!1

Good God.... that car is unbelievable... that is going to be the nicest MX6 on this forum.. right up there with Mel6s car and a few others... good God........

Da Whips
-'07 Triumph Daytona 675.
-1938 Chevy half ton hot rod project (in the works)
(and a bunch of other shit like DD's etc etc)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page