LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 1-13-09, 16:24 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Power: 6

Garage
Future Classic: '93-'97 Mazda MX-6 LS

When the 1993 MX-6 debuted, it made our hearts sing. Here, finally, was a Mazda 2+2 that combined all the fun of its predecessors while banishing the remaining 80's-era funk that afflicted Japanese cars. Out went the plasticky interior and stubby slab-sidedness of the '88-'92 model. Style and performance for moderate money was always the game of the MX-6, and the '93 model stepped it up a lot. Underhood was a rare (for the time) V6 connected to a manual transaxle. The exterior was a timeless Berlinetta with a tightly-wrapped form and delicate flowing lines. It looked less Mazda and more Ferrari 456.

More nostalgia after the jump

The MX-6 also provided the underpinnings for the excellent second-generation Ford Probe. While the Probe was good-looking in its own right, and the best sports car in Ford stores at the time, the MX-6 was a more balanced overall package. The exterior exuded elegant grace; Mazda's stylists managed to come up with a fresh look that wasn't as "drag races, ten cents" as the Probe. Echoes of the MX-6's taut form are visible even today, in the shape of the Mazda 6.

The MX-6 LS was the top-dog, stickering around $20,000 and offering a spanking-new DOHC V6 and available with a stickshift. The 164 horsepower of the V6 may not sound impressive 15 years on, but the competition was humping four-cylinder wares at the time. Sure, some of them were sporting forced-induction and putting down more power, but the raspy blat of a four cylinder is no match for the snarly aplomb a V6 can muster. Weighing in at 2700 pounds, sprints to 60 were in the mid-seven-second range. On paper, perhaps, the MX-6 may not seem to add up, but it's a wonderful package to live with in the everyday world. Punchy midrange and a relaxed demeanor differentiate the MX-6 from its rowdy contemporaries. The MX-6 LS came pretty fully optioned, so it's not like driving one will make you feel like an orderly at a sports car nursing home; they've got most of the stuff that cars today have.

Mazda knows chassis, and the MX-6 benefitted from cribbing the twin trapezoidal links from the RX-7's backside. The chassis stretch allowed the light and compact V6 to be placed further back to minimize understeer and keep turn-in sharp. The tricks worked, the MX-6 did not hopelessly push its way off the road when you wanted to get frisky. Contrary to what you might think, the moderate (yet more than adequate) power level allowed hustle without fighting from the helm or boiling the inside tire trying to power out of corners.

The second-generation MX-6 is a strange case. The fact that it's been out of production for a full ten years snuck up on us, and we miss seeing it. We're not sure where they all went, but they tended to be more adult-owned than their Probe cousins. That bodes well for finding an MX-6 that hasn't been abused, or had some god-awful body kit foisted upon it. The moderate when-new price ensures a bargain now for a car that still looks delicious, can deliver performance to back up its looks, yet doesn't beat your [email protected]@ or your wallet.

by Dan Roth

SOURCE: Autoblog.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 1-14-09, 7:35
nmn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 5

What.... no 1st gen love?
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 1-14-09, 9:09

Nice this is great

I'm selling pretty much everything that I don't need on my car. Hit up the for sale section for some nice goodies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 1-14-09, 11:31

Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmn View Post
What.... no 1st gen love?
theres more second gens out there in the forums

Zoom -----------------________
_Zoom____----=+_.''/_|__d>____
_Zoom_----___[\mazda...| -__ \ GT__ L\
Zoom___--__--\___(@)...|____.|..(@)._''
RIP SixSick6
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 1-14-09, 11:38
Banned

Power: 0

Thats why i hate 2nd gens
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 1-14-09, 12:00

Quoted: 33 Post(s)

u said it brother

Zoom -----------------________
_Zoom____----=+_.''/_|__d>____
_Zoom_----___[\mazda...| -__ \ GT__ L\
Zoom___--__--\___(@)...|____.|..(@)._''
RIP SixSick6
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 1-14-09, 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeloh View Post
Thats why i hate 2nd gens
Haha, come on. Someone hasn't been on both sides of the fence.

*Wonders if there are any good articles on say, the 1gen GT...*

But, funny seeing the price tag of that, as I was just at the dealership last Monday, checking out a few newer cars on there lot. Shoot, even found some new Mazda's down as low as $14,000. Guess back in those years this was one of the cars the Jonses would have had, haha.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 1-14-09, 12:41
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Simple MX6 View Post

*Wonders if there are any good articles on say, the 1gen GT...*
Alot more than the 2nd gen. Heres 1.

Last edited by Keeloh; 10-29-09 at 20:22.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 1-14-09, 16:52

first gens for the win!!!

91 lxt mx6 - rip
89 mx6 gt - parting out now
2004 titanium gray mazda rx8 - ap underdrive pulley, lightweight alt. and water pump pulleys, AEM/mazdaspeed intake, BHR igniton coils, fully loaded red/black leather revvin' to 9000 rpm
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 1-14-09, 17:59

Meh, I think 1G's are too generic. You can't tell me they are unique in the sea of jap econoboxes. 2G isn't THAT much better, but definitely more unique

The 1G is still a damn cool car I think.

-- '96 LS -- Tokico Struts (Blues) -- Tokico Springs (1.25" Drop) -- FD's with 225/50/16 Bridgestone Potenza RE760's -- Mazda 6 Front Brakes --
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 1-14-09, 18:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Meh, I think 1G's are too generic. You can't tell me they are unique in the sea of jap econoboxes. 2G isn't THAT much better, but definitely more unique

The 1G is still a damn cool car I think.

ok i think you said it well. I like 1st gens because of the whole factory turbocharged ideal and they are way more rare. Plus it helps when you have the even more rare stock leather seats in the 1st gen.

91 lxt mx6 - rip
89 mx6 gt - parting out now
2004 titanium gray mazda rx8 - ap underdrive pulley, lightweight alt. and water pump pulleys, AEM/mazdaspeed intake, BHR igniton coils, fully loaded red/black leather revvin' to 9000 rpm
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 1-14-09, 19:37
Banned

The only reason why ppl LOVE or LIKE the 2nd gen its because they have a shit load of parts like hondas....
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 1-14-09, 20:28

i like their looks, just not the kl motor series
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 1-14-09, 20:43

Grin

I agree regarding the 2nd Gen MX 6 looking like a Ferrari especially in Red.

When my friend John went visiting his young Godson, he used to say " John are you bringing the Ferrari today"......

If you removed the Mazda badges many people would take it for a Maranello product but our car is far better built and more reliable......

John's 1997 MTX

John's 1993 ATX

Here is a foto of a 1995 Ferrari 456.
I think the MX 6 is prettier.

Nitey nite

Paula

Last edited by Paula; 1-14-09 at 21:07.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 1-14-09, 21:45

I having had a 1st Gen 91 mx6 which died of severe transmission failure "automatics suck" owned it for about a year. Later I bought a 93 mx6LS which died of a bad tenchioner pully on the timing belt at 70mph which actualy cracked the cam. Both of them drove excellent even considering the bad suspention on the 91 and the leaking racknpinion on the 93. I wish I could have rebuilt them but this crappy city that I live in likes to dictate what you can do in your yard. Im looking for another one now and Id have to say Id take the 2nd gen over the 1st gen anyday eventhough the 1st gen had the oldschool skyline look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page