MX6.com's Rotary Talk Thread... Rotary talk only! - Page 3 - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 306 (permalink) Old 11-14-09, 0:14

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 5

The issue is that people who are afraid to blow their motors tend to blow them because they try to baby them too much. I drive the shit out of my car, so does my buddy Dom and he JUST blew his motor after 3 years of tracking it and driving it like a madman. I haven't had a single issue yet. These engines NEED to work hard and be beaten.

Elegance Auto Detailing
Your Heart Beats, Mine Rotates!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 306 (permalink) Old 11-14-09, 0:44

Power: 0

well he def drove the shit out of his car..

I may not be perfect, but I'm Canadian and thats close enough!!!!!!!!
post #33 of 306 (permalink) Old 11-14-09, 11:45

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midrange View Post
Well, i guess its all about how you drive your car. My bro had a RX7 with a turbo 2 motor, and many upgrades and in no time his seals went.. But when i think about it, i know my bro would have been driving it hard.. But when i looked into them, i saw that apex seals have been issues in many cases.. so i figured it was a problem that is common.
One issue with the rotary that most people neglect is the need to tune it , just adding an exhaust and intake can make such a drastic difference in the volume of air a rotory can injest that a good re-tune is manditory.

With our motors (KL's FS's F2's etc) we can do similar mods with no tuning and simply live with less than ideal numbers, with a rotary such mods can lead to a lean condition which adds to the motors already significant heat output and makes detonation more likely. Both issues are leading causes of rotar-death.

96 MX-6 full exhaust A/C delete spoiler delete probe wheels and a turbo in the worx. 01 626 brake's98 626 sway bar Altima rear sway bar links.http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2934576

90 pontiac transam. 350 TPI motor new 24# injectors. Rebuilt trans. lots to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 306 (permalink) Old 11-14-09, 17:02 Thread Starter

I was out last night with my wife and I never see decent imports in my town. Well I stepped out of the movie theater at almost midnight and I hear a deep toned growl coming down the street and it's a charcoal colored FD, lisence plate was from out of town but read R1 FD. It had some Super Advans on it in black and looked wicked. did a rolling burnout half the block in front of the cop shop. LOL classic!
It's strange to see something that nice in Iowa. Usually its all trucks or a muscle cars.

94 Mazda MX6 LS - yep, blew it up again.
93 Ford Probe GT - the $200 DD.
03 Ford Windstar - the ManVan!
post #35 of 306 (permalink) Old 11-15-09, 10:25

Here's something else that we don't normally talk about when it comes to the RX-7. The car is a freaking chick magnet! I went out last night and got 3 numbers, a date for Friday and Dominique(yes that''s a woman's name) Just went home!!!!!!! HAHAHA, just thought I'd share. If anyone needs a date, an FD will help! XD

Elegance Auto Detailing
post #36 of 306 (permalink) Old 11-15-09, 10:40

Im with ya on the Feed FD. That thing is amazing. One of my favorite vids too

Acquire currency
post #37 of 306 (permalink) Old 11-15-09, 11:27

All this discussion about rotary reliability has forced me to chime in again. Rotary engines see maximum efficiency at roughly 5,000rpm. That's the point a which you get optimal performance and fuel economy. It's also around this point that seals wear less. That's why rotary engines that are used are better then ones driven by people without a clue.

So, why does the engine last longer at higher rpm? Because the rotors tumble. The actual speed at which a rotor moves is roughly 1/3 the engines actual rpm. At low rpm, the rotors wabble, forcing excessive wear on the seals. At high rpm they go into more of a spin motion as the outward forces acting on them force them against the walls of the rotor housing more consistantly like a piston ring would be.

Hope that helps to clarify. It's one thing to say that the do last longer when driven hard versus actually knowing why.

-Matt-
SOLD - 1994 Mazda MX6 LS, Infiniti G35 HID conversion, 2.5" Magnaflow cat-back, 3" CAI, 16x8" FD RX7 wheels, LEDA Custom True Coilovers, shaved body and full repaint, Genuine Mazdaspeed Kit, '03 Protege rear caliper conversion, and much, much more...
post #38 of 306 (permalink) Old 11-15-09, 11:28

I'm not surprised mike! Both you and I are sold to doing the same thing with cars! haha. All go, in curves...no show..

Quote:
Originally Posted by I4MX6 View Post
All this discussion about rotary reliability has forced me to chime in again. Rotary engines see maximum efficiency at roughly 5,000rpm. That's the point a which you get optimal performance and fuel economy. It's also around this point that seals wear less. That's why rotary engines that are used are better then ones driven by people without a clue.

So, why does the engine last longer at higher rpm? Because the rotors tumble. The actual speed at which a rotor moves is roughly 1/3 the engines actual rpm. At low rpm, the rotors wobble, forcing excessive wear on the seals. At high rpm they go into more of a spin motion as the outward forces acting on them force them against the walls of the rotor housing more consistently like a piston ring would be.

Hope that helps to clarify. It's one thing to say that the do last longer when driven hard versus actually knowing why.
I knew the gist of it, Never knew the "why" on the apex seals running more smoothly though! Thanks for that info!!!!!!

Elegance Auto Detailing

Last edited by JoeyV; 11-15-09 at 11:36.
post #39 of 306 (permalink) Old 11-15-09, 15:46 Thread Starter

Damn, thats kind of funny. It's like the perfect engine for performance applications then. Since you are high revvin' it anyway, it actually is more efficient and lasts longer. So then does the 'wobble' causing wear on the rotors at low RPMs turn into full centrifical spin the higher you rev? Similar to the big slicks on top fuelers during the burnout. They friggin grow when they smoke those pups!

94 Mazda MX6 LS - yep, blew it up again.
93 Ford Probe GT - the $200 DD.
03 Ford Windstar - the ManVan!
post #40 of 306 (permalink) Old 11-15-09, 20:00

^Pretty much. Don't worry, I'm not trying to come into this thread to prove wrong, just adding to the discussion. Good thread guys!

This is particularly why Mazda recalled almost all engines on the RX8 a few years back. The 6th gear in the RX8 doesn't let it rev high enough to get the rotors to spin properly. So the motors wore away too quick. Mazda would have lost either way though. Either make the engine rev too high and get complaints from people not used to it and therefore loose sales and brand image or gear them like North American's expect, blow engines, and loose brand respect for the rotary. Think many dealer sales staff told consumers to beat the snot out of their RX model cars to get the longest life and best fuel mileage? Doubtful.

EDIT. Just to add. This is the EXACT reason why the 787B LeMans car was no longer allowed in racing events. Better longevity and mileage then all other cars on the course. Less time in the pits meant more wins. That's only part of it I'm sure, but makes you wonder why they didn't disqualify the new Audi TDI LeMans cars for the same reasons....

-Matt-
SOLD - 1994 Mazda MX6 LS, Infiniti G35 HID conversion, 2.5" Magnaflow cat-back, 3" CAI, 16x8" FD RX7 wheels, LEDA Custom True Coilovers, shaved body and full repaint, Genuine Mazdaspeed Kit, '03 Protege rear caliper conversion, and much, much more...

Last edited by I4MX6; 11-15-09 at 20:05.
post #41 of 306 (permalink) Old 11-15-09, 20:42

Probly because it runs a piston engine and it doesn't have that distinct weight advantage the Rotaries do.

Elegance Auto Detailing
post #42 of 306 (permalink) Old 11-15-09, 20:45

Here's some food for thought too! If anyone is looking into getting a JDM Rotary, DO NOT modify it without having it tuned. The Japanese ECU is programed to run on 104 Octane fuel and not on 91(and some places 94) like we have here. Adding the slightest mods to the car(open intake, down pipe and larger exhaust) will cause it to run lean and detonate. On the other hand, USDM models, can handle and forgive a little more.

Elegance Auto Detailing
post #43 of 306 (permalink) Old 11-15-09, 20:59

[QUOTE=I4MX6;2270820
EDIT. Just to add. This is the EXACT reason why the 787B LeMans car was no longer allowed in racing events. Better longevity and mileage then all other cars on the course. Less time in the pits meant more wins. That's only part of it I'm sure, but makes you wonder why they didn't disqualify the new Audi TDI LeMans cars for the same reasons....[/QUOTE]

Hate to dissagree on this point but it's been well documented that the Mazda lemans technicians were very aware of the rotarys tendancy to burn much more fuel per lap than the piston cars and that that issue had to be regulated closely to keep the cars from falling behind due to excessive pit stops.

96 MX-6 full exhaust A/C delete spoiler delete probe wheels and a turbo in the worx. 01 626 brake's98 626 sway bar Altima rear sway bar links.http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2934576

90 pontiac transam. 350 TPI motor new 24# injectors. Rebuilt trans. lots to come.

Last edited by ls six; 11-16-09 at 9:06.
post #44 of 306 (permalink) Old 11-15-09, 21:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls six View Post
Hate to disagre on this point but it's been well documented that the Mazda lemans technicians were very aware of the rotarys dendancy to burn much more fuel per lap than the piston cars and that that issue had to be regulated closely to keep the cars from falling behind due to excessive pit stops.
Strange, I have heard the exact opposite. Even had video of commentary confirming my statement. Oh well, thanks for clarifying.

-Matt-
post #45 of 306 (permalink) Old 11-16-09, 9:13

I can recall hearing it from the mouth of an actual team member on a broadcast interview, he stated that by the time of the winning race they were very aware of tha cars consumption issue and tha techs and drivers had to be very careful about monitoring fuel level and the drivers specificaly had do watch how they used the gas pedal to keep it in check.

In the end they were successful obviously but the rotary at full tilt is a relatively thirsty motor even compared to a field of all out race motors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page