This rx7 is absolute perfection in my eyes. - Page 5 - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 83 (permalink) Old 3-12-11, 16:00

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

I don't see myself getting a personal loan that's enough for a car, haha.

In the mean time, I also found a 2009 R3 for $24k. Not local, but it's with a larger chain of dealers that can have it shipped here for free..

Honestly, I just really love the looks of the R3, and just the vibe it gives off. If I can manage to pick it up, I'd personally be happy, because that one above is just a compromise for me needing a car, haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 83 (permalink) Old 3-18-11, 1:07

Sorry for the double post, but, omg. This is what makes it hard to not get an FD...

Ended up not getting either the R3, or that other Rx8. Though the one I posted is still for sale..

Spirit R's are just the sexiest thing ever. I want one, so hard.

Ugh.. I'd only need to save up for a few months... Hmm...

That, is just sheer perfection.

Last edited by A Simple MX6; 3-18-11 at 1:34. Reason: Added second pic after gazing through Google images.
post #63 of 83 (permalink) Old 3-18-11, 1:51

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Power: 5

How are you going to import it to the states?

1994 MX-6 RS -- RIP 1/30/2012
1996 MX-6 M-Edition-- Sold 4/14/2019
1993 RX-7 Grand Touring
2010 Mazda3 Hatch Grand Touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 83 (permalink) Old 3-18-11, 7:58

Importing a car is not a problem, having it be legally plated is. A drive way trophy is just fine

Elegance Auto Detailing
Your Heart Beats, Mine Rotates!
post #65 of 83 (permalink) Old 3-18-11, 8:34

^ You know what I meant

1993 RX-7 Grand Touring
post #66 of 83 (permalink) Old 3-18-11, 12:03

Well, I'd get a white A-Spec FD, get the red interior, and the body parts, possibly the differences in the engine bay, yatta yatta. Wouldn't be a true Spirit R, but it'd have the spirit in it, haha.

I'm pretty sure though, if you did import one, you could still take it to track events and such, haha. I haven't looked into it much, but before we had the new GTR here, I saw someone bring over a RHD GTR to an autocross. It was trailered on it's way there though, but it was a stock GTR.

But I'm not doing that, lol.
post #67 of 83 (permalink) Old 3-18-11, 13:37

There were only 600 white FD sold in the US, so be prepare to pay a lot for a low mileage one, unless you don't care about the mileage then you "might" be able to find one with 100k+ for around 10g. Read my FD work log, I talked about a white FD when I was looking months ago, didn't turn out so well

RHD Skyline is everywhere because of what happened in the 90's, just in Chicago alone I see 3-4 Skyline park in front of an import shop all the time. Those are all legal street car too, well legal on paper. The one you saw is probably a track only car, hint why he has to trailer it to the autocross event. You can try searching on rx7club, people have talked about importing FD from Canada and it's not a good idea, one guy form Ohio tried to do it last year, 9g out of his pocket and he never got the car, it was seized by US custom at the border. Even if you got one into the states, you'll have to deal with registration which is going to be a big problem. Unless you live in a small town and know people at the DMV, otherwise think twice before you attempt to do this, might not turn out the way you want it, would be better off just save up for legit LHD FD.

1993 RX-7 Grand Touring
post #68 of 83 (permalink) Old 3-18-11, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZE Power MX6 View Post
just save up for legit LHD FD.
^This

Elegance Auto Detailing
post #69 of 83 (permalink) Old 3-18-11, 16:26

Noo, I'm not getting a RHD FD, haha. I was talking about how I'd get one here and convert it to look like a Spirit R. I'm not about to go through the hastle of getting one legalized. And yeah, but it was a brand new GTR, when it first came out, but wasn't being sold here in America just yet, a shop brought one over, and used it in an autocross. Not a person, but a performance shop, I forget who.

And I've seen quite a number of lower mileage white FD's for about $13-16k or so. Albeit, base models, with no sunroof, or anything, and half with automatic transmissions.

Ultimately, if I got an FD, there isn't really a color I DON'T want, I just have my preferences, haha.
post #70 of 83 (permalink) Old 3-18-11, 17:40

Yes, there is a color you DON'T want...and it's RED! lol They're everywhere and are the worst quality color/paint.

Converting to look like a Spirit R is okay, but kinda defeats the purpose of the title SPIRIT R (Which stands for Spirit of Racing) If you go for that, then also get a 1999-2002 engine/turbo set-up too!

Elegance Auto Detailing
post #71 of 83 (permalink) Old 3-18-11, 18:30

Haha, that's what I'm saying, depending on the shape of the engine and such, it's a possibility. I dunno, we'll see on down the road. I'm still undecided on what to get though, between the R3, or one that'd be converted to be a Spirit R. I imagine that'd be more expensive than an R3 though, and take longer to get..

And yeah, the red ones are very hit and miss. But the nicer ones, I like.

But I've seen some that are borderline flat red, because of how they have absolutely no shine, what-so-ever.

I more or less do want a brighter, more noticable color. Probably not a good idea for dealing with cops, but on the streets I almost never do anything to get pulled over. I just like cars that stand out, such as the light blue new MS3. You can spot one of those in a traffic jam a mile away, haha.

And yeah, I know it's not a legit Spirit R, but considering you can't really get a legit one here without worrying that some government company will steal it away during the night because of one little t you didn't cross, or i you didn't dot.. But, I'd be happy with a very nice replica.

Shoot, then there's still my Mx6. I'm on the fence about what to do with IT...
post #72 of 83 (permalink) Old 3-18-11, 22:59

I'm not sure if you can get a low mileage CW FD for 13k, the lowest I've seen sold in the last 8 months was 14.5k. IIRC there are 2 low mile CW FD on the market right now and they are both asking for 22.5k

Paint has always been an issue with the FD, some said 94-95 model has better paint but I've seen both 93 and 94-95 owner respray their car, and if you look at my 93 it has awesome original paint other then little fading on sunroof, so it's more of a potluck on these. I know what you mean about the celestial blue Mazda3, I love that color

As of Spirit R, it will cost you an arm and a leg to get all the parts inside and out. Just the steeling wheel and shift knob will run you a few hundred bux, then the front/rear seats and etc. The list goes on. There actually a RHD FD for sale here in Chicago, 100% legal, the guy bought a JDM front clip and has a shop swap everything over, I think he's asking for 18k, you can consider that to get a head start on the Spirit R conversion

1993 RX-7 Grand Touring
post #73 of 83 (permalink) Old 3-19-11, 11:58

Ah, any idea of how much doing a front end conversion costs like that?

And yeah, honestly I've been looking the past two years for Rx7's(And Rx8's), and I've seen some pretty good deals. Saw an FD, bone stock, very similar to your's, with 54k mi(I'd actually laugh my butt off if it's the one you got, because it was in WV, but very well could've sold to someone in NC) for $10,800. That was at least a year ago, though. But knowing how so many people like their FD's to be driveway queens, by choice, being afraid to put mileage on them.. Shoot there's one on Rx7club with under 7k mi. Of course, that's at $30k. But yeah, I've seen some good deals with lower mileage ones come and go myself.

And I've definitely noticed that about the paint. I've seen the same color ones, some look marvelous, never resprayed, while others usually look so dull that it's hard to believe they're the same paint.

However, I'm still totally in love with the CYM, but I love white as well. I'd love to have one in Innocent Blue Mica, even. I'm not too picky, so long as it looks good.

And yeah, I've noticed. I'm thinking more or less just that, the body parts, and the wheel and shifter. I definitely like the newwer wheel versus the factory one here. We'd have to see how much money I have to spare by then, anyway. But that much is guaranteed if I get an FD over an Rx8.

Oh, I've been meaning to ask, what oils do you guys run? I've been looking around, and Mazdatrix carries Idemitsu, plus their premix blend. I've been leaning towards that for whichever I get. But I'm sure y'all know more, what have you heard about their oils? I've heard good, I just wanna hear more, haha.
post #74 of 83 (permalink) Old 3-19-11, 23:42

My car was originally a VA car, last owner is from CT, he purchased it in 06 with 56k on it

As far as 99 Spec front, all together will run around $1,000 +/- $150, all depend on if you can find a bumper in your color, plate / plateless replica etc.

I'll leave the oil question to Joey as I just got my car a week ago, so obviously I haven't done an oil change yet I've heard people run Castrol GTX 20w50, some run others, and some people use premix and some don't.

1993 RX-7 Grand Touring
post #75 of 83 (permalink) Old 3-19-11, 23:47

*Points to my location* Well, if it's a VA car, it's meant to be here.

Haha, anywho, hmm..

I just still need some time to decide on what I'm going to do, and such. So many options that appeal to me, because I also want a track only car, and I'm split on using my Mx6, getting a Miata, or a 1st or 2nd gen Rx7 as that. Then I'd need a truck to tow that to events..

But I'd like an Rx7 or an Rx8 as a daily, which would still see autocross events and whatnot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page