LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 8-5-18, 12:14 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

Need Transmission Help (Birmingham, AL)

Hi,

I just joined the forum. I was a long time member of probetalk but it looks like that forum is dead or for me the url is not working. So I'm hoping one of you guys can help me out. My 5th gear would constantly slip out so I attempted the 5th Gears Swap and something went wrong. After putting the car back together, here a few things that I noticed:

1: The car will not shift back into 5th Gear/Reverse. This makes me think that I incorrectly put the sychro back in (maybe I should flip it?)

2. I didn't lubricate the parts when I put them back in. I figured the transmission would lubricate that area once it was refilled but perhaps not. So may the rings are dry and stuck.

3. The wheels (particularly the driver side wheel) spin like crazy while the car is in the air. Upon researching this online, I found that this is normal; however, the speedo reads like the car is in gear (approx. 20 mph) and driver side spin is incredibly fast. This makes me think the transmission believes it's engaged but it's not.

I'm going to record a video of this and link it here. So I with those things happening above, I can shift through gears 1-4. I'm curious if anyone has an idea about what I did wrong or would be willing to help me resolve this? Thanks a ton!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 8-8-18, 23:15

1.) Its probably flipped or possibly broken from no lubrication

2.)Definitely shouldve used assembly lubed to assemble all metal parts that touch other metal part.

3.) Totally normal

4.) Probetalk is working on changing hosting providers as I spoke with them last week on FB. They are hoping to be up in a month or less.

The only resolution you're going to get is tearing it apart again (which sucks) or finding a used junk trans and swapping while you work on fixing the other (then you'll have a spare and you can never have too many - I have 5)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 8-9-18, 11:07

Power: 5

5 speed

onyx
I have at least one of these trans-axles, maybe 2 here in Atlanta...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 8-11-18, 13:24 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reponses guys! Looks like it needed time to get lubrication. Right as I making a video the car slide into 5th and reverse on its own. I haven't taken it on the hwy just yet but everything appears to be normal. Thanks a ton for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page