UPOC - Page 4 - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 5

Oh if I change class I'll be running race seats in the front. As light as I can legally go. (15 lbs, but I haven't found any that are comfy enough to call a seat, so it'll probably be around 20 lbs ea) It's the door panels, and the rear seats that will need to be changed so I can take off the rear spoiler, because it adds too much weight.
Of course I'll trade you the fronts too. (If I decide to)
Hmmm, it seems to me you are getting a hell of a good deal. Got something that will make it worth my while? There are some MX6/Probe parts I need...

On another note:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to my research, the MX6 LS was available without the rear spoiler ... but only with the cloth interior. If you ordered the leather interior, the spoiler came with it automatically.
...However some cloth interior cars were available with the rear spoiler.

I ask this because if I want to loose the rear spoiler I have to change everything in the car to the way it would be if it rolled off the assembly line for that year. (Except the front seats in the class I am going into) I am looking to get the car under 2500 pounds. And that isn't easy...

I'll always remember my grandfathers last words...
"Never argue with a torch bearing mob!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

I knows sumpthin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Hmmm, it seems to me you are getting a hell of a good deal. Got something that will make it worth my while? There are some MX6/Probe parts I need...
Absolutely...If things go a certain way, I'll have another 2G parts car in the near future on top of what I've already got...And I've got a heated garage that's open nearly 24-7 at your disposal if needed

Call me any time you like 435-714-2714

Quote:
On another note:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to my research, the MX6 LS was available without the rear spoiler ... but only with the cloth interior. If you ordered the leather interior, the spoiler came with it automatically.
...However some cloth interior cars were available with the rear spoiler.
He he, you know more than me Honestly all I knew up to this point was that some came with leather, some with cloth, some with spoilers and some without. Luckily for me I got one without a spoiler

Quote:
I am looking to get the car under 2500 pounds. And that isn't easy...
Under 2500 is doable...in stock form with interior...yikes, that's tricky...
I'm guessing you're already on really lightweight wheels...But with the interior completely out, it's not too hard to do....to give you and Idea, with 90% of my interior out I ran .2 quicker down the 1/4 mile...that's good for 200 lbs right there...and Zach's car was even lighter than mine with more interior stuff missing.

You can do it...will be noisy of course...and not too 'comfy'

Laters
Ryan

Form Follows Function. If it doesn't work, get it the f--- out.
A RaceCar Named Carmen
MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] Enkei 17x9 RPF1 [] Toyo R1R [] Hawk HP+ [] Schroth [] Corbeau [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []
post #48 of 12501 (permalink) Old 1-9-05, 10:18

Ah but here's the tricky part: I can't take the interior out. All I can do is put in lighter front seats. Headers, hollow swaybars (which the front swaybar already is) remove A/C, lightweight wheels, light battery (relocate too) light exhaust, and a few other things. It's not easy, but the drivers side stock power leather seats are almost 80 lbs all by itself! Too bad I like it so much.
As it is my car in SCCA Stock form weighed 2650. So losing 150 lbs really isn't all that hard.

The seats are going to be about 80-100 lbs (replaced with 20 lb lightweights)
Going from leather to cloth should be another 5-10 pounds.
A/C is 35 lbs. (Replaced it once already, not really sure I want to lose it though! )
Light battery: 13 pounds vs 45.
Headers: Ummm .... less than the cast iron logs that are on there.
Already have light wheels and light exhaust.
Lose the rear spoiler: 15 lbs

That's 150 lbs or more right there.

Anyway, gotta go. Chat later

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 12501 (permalink) Old 1-10-05, 2:21
I knows sumpthin

Nice...so...in relation to SCCA...how much of a difference in a given lap time will that creat for you? And where does the difference come from? Faster acceleration out of corners? Or less mass that has to be tossed around?

Laters
Ryan

A RaceCar Named Carmen
MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] Enkei 17x9 RPF1 [] Toyo R1R [] Hawk HP+ [] Schroth [] Corbeau [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []
post #50 of 12501 (permalink) Old 1-10-05, 10:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
...less mass that has to be tossed around?
That's the one right there! Lighter cars are faster both on the 1/4 mile and on the track.

Also in the class I am prepping the car for my tire size is limited. They must be true street tires limited to a 7.5" wide wheel 225 mm wide. The lighter the better those size tires will work.

post #51 of 12501 (permalink) Old 1-10-05, 20:12
I knows sumpthin

What size tires to you run on your setup?

Reason I ask is because I frequently see racers running abnormally 'skinny' tires on wider rims, so that the sidewalls acutally look like / \ as opposed to | | or even
\ / As I understand it the / \ keeps sidewall flex down to a minimum, thus more cornering grip and accuracy....

So do you do that as well, or still get more benefit running as wide a tire as possible, reguardless?

Laters
Ryan

A RaceCar Named Carmen
post #52 of 12501 (permalink) Old 1-11-05, 11:32

I haven't decided. I'm either going to run Azenis RT-215 215/45/16 on 16x7 wheels or the new Azenis RT-615 225/50/15 on 15x7 wheels. I prefer the gearing reduction of the 215's but like the new compound and width of the 225's.

In all reality, it doesn't matter if the tires go like / \ or \ / or [ ], though straight up and down is best.
Actually if they're like this \ / the break away tends to be very sudden and is very hard to regain control of.

post #53 of 12501 (permalink) Old 1-11-05, 19:52
I knows sumpthin

Is the breakaway because all of a sudden at the limit the tire wants to roll over onto itself?

Would the 15" combo be lighter than the 16" combo?

Laters
Ryan

A RaceCar Named Carmen
post #54 of 12501 (permalink) Old 1-12-05, 0:48

The breakaway would be because the sidewalls would be so stiff that they have no give. It would be similar to putting a piece of double sided tape on a knife, then mashing it on the counter top. Now try to pull it sideways. When it lets go, it goes all of the sudden. Now put a piece of tape on an eraser, and repeat. It goes more gradually because the eraser bends before the tire lets go, giving you more warning. (This is a very generalized example.)

Yes, the 15" combo would be lighter than the 16", but I like the gearing advantage of the 16", and the shorter sidewalls. Having shorter sidewalls is an advantage still!
It's all about balance.

Truth be told, I really want to drive a Miata next year. I've never heard anybody say "I hate my Miata!"

post #55 of 12501 (permalink) Old 1-13-05, 2:16
I knows sumpthin

Ha ha, nice...but with the Miata...lots more people drive them...and lots more competition...but of course lots more aftermarket support...Hmm...Decisions...

And that makes a lot of sense about the tires, I can see that pretty darn clearly in my head...Basically I get the sense that you want | | sidewalls...no instability, but won't spontaneously loose traction. Wow, I just learned something! Thanks!

Laters
Ryan

A RaceCar Named Carmen
post #56 of 12501 (permalink) Old 1-14-05, 17:34

Miss Mouse, If you were looking for lighter, you should have gotten a 1993 MX-6, without the sliding sunroof... The '94's have an extra airbag, and some Antilock brakes. '93's didn't. :/ As far as weight reduction, are you allowed to modify the intake? swapping the stock intake for an alum CAI would give you at least 2 lbs reduction, and more power to boot!
If your really a freak about weight, you can take the bulbs out of the headlights and driving lights while you race.
I'm in big trouble weight wise. I gained about 10-15 lbs over the winter... You may remember me from Probetalk. However I have a hard time remembering people without their screen names. What was your probetalk screen name?

Ryan, What is up???! Long time no see. I'm so ready to get together. As soon as I get my new MX-6, I'll be ready to meet up again. I've got two new members in mind. The guy I sold my 94 LS to, and there's a 2nd gen Probe around my house.

Also on the weight subject, Sears is really good about having tire specs. More specifically tire weight. 15's are going to be lighter in general, but a taller side wall (given the same circumfrence) equalling more slop in the corners. The 17's I had on the 94 were heavy wheels, but the small sidewall was so nice for cornering.

Bill, 2003 3.5 SE Altima, Black with black leather, headers, full SS exhaust, lowering springs, adjustable shocks / struts, SCAFII, 20" wheels, SER Tail lights, Dual Halos around headlights, HID headlights and driving lights, Maxima Helical LSD.
2010 Maxima SV Prem + Tech package
2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
post #57 of 12501 (permalink) Old 1-14-05, 19:49
I knows sumpthin

Yeah, good point Bill...If I remember right the doors in the '94's also have side impact protection beams in them...IIRC '94's are around 250 lbs heavier with all their goodies.

Bill!! He he, What's up.

First question...Do we want to make here our 'home?' While we don't have a forum all to ourselves, we do have the southwest Forum to play around in as we please and the main UPOC thread of course.

Or do we want P-E.com where we have our own forum labled UPOC?

I'm fine with either, though like P-E.com because I'm the mod over there (or at least they need to re-instate me) and can keep things organized and in order as necessary in our own forum. And there seems to be more Probes around (I own half them ) so maybe people could associate the Probe thing better?

However over here, I like the color scheme more, and since, we're bolth biased toward MX6's...well it fits better and we still have just as much free reign...Not to mention while I'm a mod over there, I acutally know more people over here. And, being in the 'SouthWest' area of MX6.com, more 'local' people can keep up to date about what's going on.

And what are you up to this weekend...one slip of your name and Marissa wants to Party, guess she likes you or something...even though I told her you were taken My house is always open, and Saturday night is good for lots of people I know.

Call me if you like, I may not get back online until tomorrow afternoon, 435-714-2714

Laters
Ryan

A RaceCar Named Carmen
post #58 of 12501 (permalink) Old 1-15-05, 0:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpendl1
Miss Mouse, If you were looking for lighter, you should have gotten a 1993 MX-6, without the sliding sunroof... The '94's have an extra airbag, and some Antilock brakes. '93's didn't. :/ As far as weight reduction, are you allowed to modify the intake? swapping the stock intake for an alum CAI would give you at least 2 lbs reduction, and more power to boot!
If your really a freak about weight, you can take the bulbs out of the headlights and driving lights while you race.
I'm in big trouble weight wise. I gained about 10-15 lbs over the winter... You may remember me from Probetalk. However I have a hard time remembering people without their screen names. What was your probetalk screen name?
Well I didn't know that when I bought the car! I actually bought it because it was the best set up Stock Class MX6 in the country, and I could afford it. The car has a long history of winning in SCCA Solo II Stock Class. However with the latest car that was classed into it's class, I doubt it can win or trophy anymore.
So I am sorta stuck. But I like the car a lot, so it's not a big deal.

Yes, I will be putting on a CAI, and moving the battery into the trunk, and when I can afford it putting in a lightweight battery. When it comes time for Nationals I will take out the A/C too. (That's going to be a loooooong drive)

My Probetalk name is Bridgiekitty.

post #59 of 12501 (permalink) Old 1-16-05, 17:59

Don't bother reloacting the battery. Unless your making room for a turbo or something, the extra heavy gauge wire will just add unwanted weight. Easy 3 lbs... plus money. I found a good aluminum CAI on Ebay for less than $55 shipped!! With filter.

Well Ry... I guess we should hook up sometime. My Dad just picked up the black 96 M edition with tan leather interior today. He says it looks great. I'm flying down next weekend to pick it up!! can't wait. So anyway. I do like the organization of PE.com, but like you said, I like the MX-6 alot better than probe. I think we'll just have to ride the fence between both.

Bill, 2003 3.5 SE Altima, Black with black leather, headers, full SS exhaust, lowering springs, adjustable shocks / struts, SCAFII, 20" wheels, SER Tail lights, Dual Halos around headlights, HID headlights and driving lights, Maxima Helical LSD.
2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
post #60 of 12501 (permalink) Old 1-16-05, 18:03

Hey Ry. What happened to Zack? Does he still have his MX-6? The 93?
When are you puting yours back together.
I saw a KLZE on ebay, said between 35 and 60 K miles. Just said a KL type engine for a Mazda mx-6 or Probe. Didn't say anything about ie being a ZE or th HP rating... but sure enough, it had a ZE IM! It was around $750 and no bidders! Ahhh, what to do with $1000. Guees I'd rather build a turbo, but for you.. you already need an engine.

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page