Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

UPOC

1M views 13K replies 80 participants last post by  Ragnarock01 
#1 ·
What happened to the UT thread?

Reactions: Jason
#77 ·
Schweet...good stuff going on...Yes, the ZE is comming along swimmingly.

Currently I'm swapping the motor in my brother's '90 GT...motor still runs, but not too happy...ate one plug, low compression in two cylinders, and BIG oil leak....could have something to do with the compressor blade bits that went through it a few months ago ;)

Brandon, I never see you on AIM anymore! 'Course i'm not on there a lot myself...cars and all. Good to hear about the motor, I'm jealous...but I've got a spare motor from the '90 to rebuild on the side.... .040 overbore among all the other goodies but that's a ways down the road...he's still got to blow the one I'm swapping in ;) Oh, and the FMU...I could probably help.

Laters
Ryan

#78 ·
lol bill yea baking the block gets everything off of it makes it all pretty so i can put a nice thick coat or bright red paint on it lol but i think i can get down with the regal maybe if not with him dman near close. i hit a 14.5 last season with a 2.2 60 feet still room for inprovement. and i will be boosting more and have more stuff up my sleeve TBA. well are you going to take out the m edition to the races bill?

later yall haha

#79 ·
Races... yeah, I think so. If for nothing else to get a time to see how it compares with my beloved 93. It only has a CAI on it, so maybe only able to run a 16.3 or 16.5. But as a daily driver, it's nice.

#80 ·
Who wants to meet up this Saturday? Post back when you can meet and a recomendation of where.

#81 ·
Where and When? I've got Ski Patroll Saturday, but I can be back in the valley by 6pm at the latest.

And yes, I'm up for it...dinner maybe? I know I'll be hungry. Anyplace is fine, Village Inn, Olive Garden...Squatters...Happy Sumo...California Pizza Kitchen.

Laters
Ryan

#82 ·
I was looking at more of a lunch thing. But what ever works for the majority. Skii patrol. That sounds fun. Get me a pass, I'll come skiing with you. ;)

#83 ·
v6

I just acquired an M-Edition this weekend. I had a 96 RS for a year until my sister totalled it about a month ago. I noticed that the RPM's seem to run higher on the V6 than on my previous 2liter, and being new to the V6 world I'm wondering if that's normal. What do y'all run around 80mph or any figures off the top of your head? Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks, Miller.

#84 ·
You're fine, the KL V-6 is a revver, you're probably around 4k rpm at 80 mph in 5th gear, and the acutual fuel cut is at 7,500 rpm. Don't be afraid to rev it, they're made for it.

And Welcome!!

Bill, I'll see if I can get a discount pass...I may be able to even get a free one ;) And for Saturday, if everybody is up for lunch instead of dinner go for it...just take some pictures for me :D

Laters
Ryan

#85 ·
Yeah, I've had a 6 since 1996, they all run high on the RPM's. They could sure use a 6th gear. But even at 4000 rpms in 5th gear, it still get 26mpg or better. It sure makes it nice for passing on the freeway, cruising speed on the freeway is in the kl's powerband!

It's nice to have another M edition in the club! Welcome! I'm looking forword to meeting you and your car! By the picture, it looks green... Is that right??

As for Saturday, it looks like I'll be redoing the timing belt on a 95 626 for a co worker of mine. But if anyone wants to swing by and visit, if nothing else to see the new place, and the new car, let me know. My home number is 801-955-3096, I live just off of Bangherter and 3100 South in West Valley. From Bangherter turn west on 3100 south, then make the first right. That is corbin way. Go all the way down the street nearly to the end. 2767 S Corbin Way. The MX-6 will be in the driveway, if it's sunny out the garage door will be open. If any one is interested in visiting, lets plan around 1pm.

#86 ·
Oh, I can tell you at 130ish, your RPM's will be right about 66-6700, If I remember right. :D What were you at in pinky Ryan?

#87 · (Edited)
actually the green one in my Avatar was my 96 RS. The M Edition I bought Saturday is in kinda rough shape inside, and there's no intake whatsover, just an open hose from the filterbox...there's some other things pending that the dealer will fix soon. But the best part is that I bought this Saturday afternoon and then Sunday night I headed up Provo Canyon for the first time and hit a deer. I did what I could to dodge him but it was a good sized buck and he rolled down the side of my car taking out the passenger mirror and pushed back the fender so the passenger door won't open. Aside from that there's a few dents from his antlers, but everything else is fine...I even talked a couple girls at BYU into going for a ride Dukes of Hazzard style (climbing through the window...)

#88 ·
wpendl1 said:
Oh, I can tell you at 130ish, your RPM's will be right about 66-6700, If I remember right. :D What were you at in pinky Ryan?
Oh, that wasn't Pinky that I blew the motor across the Nevada desert...that was my '93 LS...after effects seen here:

Nice huh? That was cruising at 135 mph and 6200 rpm in 5th gear...Four holes in the block, one piston and rod later and a whole crap load of babbit and lead from bearings...yeah...

Pinky was only about 60 mph...and that was a Dodge Ram pulling a trailer that crossed the median on a snowy day:

And Bill, if you'll still be at it around 6 pm or so, or want to grab some food gimme a ring. 435-714-2714 I'll be done with patroll between 4pm and 5 pm.

Laters
Ryan

#89 ·
wpendl1 said:
....I live just off of Bangherter and 3100 South in West Valley. From Bangherter turn west on 3100 south....
No way.

Does your car have California plates? Did you blow past a red MX6 southbound on I-15 with a "Tire Rack" windshield banner the other night? Did that same red 6 then catch back up to you on 201, then turn left onto Bangerter in the lane next to you? Then the red MX6 turned right into the industrial park right after you get off Bangerter?
Did it have a blonde chick driving it in a big puffy white jacket?
:wave:
I live just up the street from you on 31st south and about 50th west.

:wave:

Maybe I'll stop by if I'm not too busy tomorrow. :)

#90 ·
lol... I was wondering if that was you. I didn't see the driver, but yeah... that was so me. My fiance told me I had to drive nice and couldn't race you. :(
I only went by you so fast on the I 15 interchange becouse I saw MX-6 tail lights and had to catch up. :D I just kept going when I did! ha ha ha. But yeah, that was me. What else do you have done to your car other than that ricer muffler. ;)

Ryan, I wasn't talking about cars you blew up... I was talking the time we went to Bendover for the races... Maybe it was a green GT you had. When we chased down the Mustange GT. Mustang GT + Probe GT + MX-6 LS @135 MPH = Hell yeah that was fun!

#91 ·
Oh, the timming belt took about 3 hours, but that was becaust the bolt holding the tentioner pully to the block was stripped out. That's was caused the problems in the first place I'm guessing. Anyway I had to drill out the old threads and put a helicoil in so the original "special" bolt could be used.
Sorry Ry, I got your message... but you left me a long distance number.

#92 ·
Yeah, yeah, yeah...the number will be getting changed.

Ryan, I wasn't talking about cars you blew up... I was talking the time we went to Bendover for the races... Maybe it was a green GT you had. When we chased down the Mustange GT. Mustang GT + Probe GT + MX-6 LS @135 MPH = Hell yeah that was fun!
Yeah, that was the green machine...Dude, I'm smiling so big just remembering that moment right now :D

Laters
Ryan

#93 ·
wpendl1 said:
What else do you have done to your car other than that ricer muffler. ;)
Ricer muffler? It's a Magnaflow with a 2.5 inch catback, not some cheapass OBX eBay POS. :lol: KL engines sound very nice and deep with a good muffler on them.

Otherwise all I have are a K&N filter, Magnacore wires, Illumina's, all new bushings, an aggressive alignment, ...and snow tires on the stock rims right now. :lol: Those are the only mods allowed in the class I have been racing in, and the Tire Rack sticker is required at National level events. (Otherwise I wouldn't put a banner on my windshield)

But I'm actually selling the car now. :cry:
As much as I love it, I have always wanted a Miata, and now is the time to get one. If I could afford to keep both I would be overjoyed, but I just can't. (Not that I don't have garage space ... I do!)

#94 ·
Hey, those OBX POS's can sound nice...but I'd still take a Magnaflow ;)

And I've always loved the sound of a KL with decent exhaust...The right combo always has a Ferrari -esque sound to it...especially opened piped :D

And how many miles on your car...and how much are you wanting for it? I just picked up your twin tonight, a '94 Red LS loaded with black leather interior, 168k miles and needs a bit of work for $1400...so it's not the best time to buy another car...but I'll be getting an insurance settlement soon...and hell to have THREE red 'LS's...if the price is right ;)

Laters
Ryan

#95 ·
I am asking more than anybody on this board will pay. $3300k

Everyone will scream "WHAT? $3300 for a an MX? Are you crazy? No way!" ...But I'm not trying to sell it to someone on here, I'm trying to sell it to an autocrosser who wants the perfectly set-up MX6 that they can take to Nationals and trophy in if they're a good enough driver. This car is set up to the limits of Stock Class rules and comes with 3 sets of wheels. (stock, BBS convertable RX7's and Rota's)

In this car I ran the fastest time in my class on the second day at Nationals. In fact I ran the fastest time in both G-Stock Ladies, and open G-Stock. :p (Which is good, because I sucked wind the first day! :lol: )

But that will mean nothing to anyone except another autocrosser. Therefore the only person who would see the value of the setup of this car, is another autocrosser. Otherwise it's a 132,000 mile MX6 in excellent shape with nice shocks and a wierd alignment and a great sounding exhaust. :lol:

Edit to add: I always thought the KL sounded like half a Ferrari with a decent exhaust too. :) One of the many things I am going to miss.

#96 ·
$3300 isn't bad. A couple months ago I'd have given you $3000 for it. Then I would have taken it to get an alignment and a Ravin muffler. ;)

Magnaflows are good for the flow, but they are a little tinny sounding on the upper end. Plus I think the 5" tip looks a little ricy. Just personal prefrence. Sorry to here your selling out. And before we even met. :no: My sister has a Miata... I love my MX-6 so much more.

Ryan, glad to here your on the right track. Please tell me this one has a running engine in it! :D It'll be nice to have a couple 2 gen MX's together again.

#97 ·
It Purrs like a kitten...So sweet sounding.

And don't count $3300 as too bad especially with three sets of wheels...I acually expected you would be asking somewhere near that for it. So, if the timing is right and you haven't sold it yet, you may have a buyer...I'd love to step into an Auto-X ready car and get learning with that. Like I said, I'll be picking up a check for $9k early next week, part of which will pay leftover medical bills, varous other bills, buy some goodies, and the rest to investing.

Tell, me...how do the look upon Japanse (KLZE ;) ) motors...and would they even know it was one ;)

Laters
Ryan

#98 ·
Rules are policed by your competitors in your class. At the local level most people wouldn't know, or wouldnt notice or wouldn't care. Rarely does anybody really look hard at someones car unless it is obviously not legal. Its just for fun and bragging rights. So I guess you can say we do it on the honor code.

At the National level, you can bet the competitors are going to scrutinize your car if you are doing well, and there are some sharp cookies there. They know their stuff about virtually every competitive autocross car available at this time. (They make it their business to know :shrug: ) My car didn't really get looked at all that hard, but thats because everyone at Nationals in my class already knew the car! :lol:

#99 ·
Nice...Well, I bet I could sneak a KLDE intake manni on a ZE, keep some power...

He he, nah, that's too much cheating, and probably wouldn't help that much anyway, I would still have to drive good, and if I couldn't do that I know a ZE won't help much anyway...

On that note, I'm good at parking lot antics...but have never tackled cones before. One way or another I'd like to do more this year. I've got the time and funds so I'm all for it.

Laters
Ryan

#101 · (Edited)
Fox 13 news is supposed to have a story on the upcoming racetrack for Utah at 5pm news.

BTW, my car already has some aftermarket muffler on it, but I have no idea how to tell what kind it is... I'm assuming it's just something cheap, but how can I figure out what it is?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.