LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1546 of 28178 (permalink) Old 11-8-04, 23:03 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSlayer
btw i cooked my engine the other when doing an engine flush. was just idling for 10-15mins but the cooling system dont work properly so it overheated. possible warpage on the head and the head gasket is most likely blown. not having much fun with this car atm. blown turbo and new clutch last month. wonder wats going to happen next month :S
Sorry to hear that... sounds like your having as much luck as I am. Do you have people ask you why you dont just get rid of the car??

Procrastinate now, don't put it off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989MX6
Aw I kinda have an affection for the "Land Crab" Austin 1800, as my Dad owned one back in the mid '70s. I almost bought one for my first car! I loved little details such as the auto selector which was located on the right side of the dash, and they were very roomy. They were absolute crazy pigs to work on though, with the weirdest British engineering and design that was nonsensical at best. My Dad still talks about changing CV joints - you had to almost strip the gearbox down to do it, and the things broke all the bloody time....

I think the Land Crab looks kinda cute.... Yeah but maybe I just have crap taste as I like the Morris 1100 too, and they were basically a rapidly-rusting POS. They're dud cars but they're British dud cars, and the last of their breed before the Germans came in and wrecked the British car industry with their crazy ideas about cars that had to work properly and not break down all the time, or be locally-assembled rebadged Japanese cars with crap build quality. Bloody insane fools...
LOL - I think your taste in cars is pretty bad then ... because my memories of the Austin 1800 were ... Beige car ... Blood red interior ... hard to use seatbelts ... fall apart rear lights ... starting to rust hood ... weak engine ... expensive hydraulic suspension (most owners didn't know how to maintain it ... but to keep the suspension in good running order it required regular maintenance) ... however it was very comfy.

All I can say is the car was completely useless in terms of reliability & design. The poms have no comparison to the germans on either of those.

1993 Mazda MX6 4WS - Sold
2004 Mazda RX8 Luxury - Sold
2011 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design - Sold
2013 Volvo S80 Polestar T6
"If it was so, it might be; and it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic." - Lewis Carrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromax
because my memories of the Austin 1800 were ... Beige car ... Blood red interior ... hard to use seatbelts ... fall apart rear lights ... starting to rust hood ... weak engine ... expensive hydraulic suspension (most owners didn't know how to maintain it ... but to keep the suspension in good running order it required regular maintenance) ... however it was very comfy.
That's uncanny - you just described my Dad's old 1800 perfectly! Don't forget crappy paint job - this was the early '70s and you could get away with repainting a car by hand...

"Comfiness" was a design trait shared with the French. Except French car usually worked way longer, and didn't prematurely become four-wheeled garden ornaments that rapidly turned into fertiliser. I just like the look of British cars up to the late '60s, but it's kinda telling that a lot of restored Morris Minors have japanese running gear....
Quote:
All I can say is the car was completely useless in terms of reliability & design. The poms have no comparison to the germans on either of those.
Think of it - Germany gets the crap bombed out of its industry and under 10 years later they produce something like the 300SL Gullwing and the 220-SE Mercedes sedan, a car that matched the Rolls-Royce in luxury and sheer go.

The Brit car industry was strangled by bureaucracy and (mis-)management cynically recycled engineering for many years. Most '70s cars had '50s running-gear....

Yeah but the LandCrab is still kinda cute in an odd way.... Kinda tempted to buy one in a deceased estate auction ten years ago. It hadn't been run for a decade as the husband had died and the elderly lady couldn't drive. If it had been mothballed properly it would have been a great buy for a collector. As it was the car had lain in a leaky garage as it was the moment the husband had last driven it, and mould had got into everything in the interior and the hydrolastic suspension had perished. Pity, the car looked like it had been the husband's pride and joy too.
That auction was such a sad experience. The whole house had started to decline the moment the husband died, and his tools and workshop were left as they were for 10 years before she died too. You felt like an interloper walking around, as someone's whole life was sold off piece by piece....

My MX6 experience was more a rolling restoration than everyday transport...

My MX6 is sold!

2006 Mazda 3 SP23

Last edited by 1989MX6; 11-9-04 at 2:55.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

I never liked mum's old car ... it was in very good condition (considering both families restored cars as a hobby) as it was always kept in a garage and babied ... but it really sucked, and mum knew it ... yet she always used to complain about it. When she got rid of it she drove a Mercedes 500SL ... it only had 2 seats so we rarely went out in it during the weekend ... that was what the Mazda 626 was for ...

The Austin was always trouble ... always broken down and never really working. It was bought by a collector of Morris & Austin cars (poor man collector back then) ... he had his eye on the Healey I remember and dad told him "eyes off".

1800's aren't worth much still ... you'd only ever get $3-4000 for a super schmick example ... considering the only sold for under $3k ... most owners (who've kept them) haven't lost a cent :P

1993 Mazda MX6 4WS - Sold
2004 Mazda RX8 Luxury - Sold
2011 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design - Sold
2013 Volvo S80 Polestar T6
"If it was so, it might be; and it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic." - Lewis Carrol
post #1550 of 28178 (permalink) Old 11-9-04, 5:46 Thread Starter

Ok couple of quick questions.... do you only get most posts added if you post in the Australia forum or in any of the Forum's ie the lounge??

And can anyone give other people Karma because i cant seem to give anyone Karma at the moment??

Power: 0

Me! Me! Me! Give ME karma!!!!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

ok... i'm back... did ya's all miss me???
I just got back from W.A. today, and damn tassie is cold
post #1553 of 28178 (permalink) Old 11-9-04, 10:04

Man you Aussies "rock" the biggest thread ever!....(just had to post on it!)
post #1554 of 28178 (permalink) Old 11-9-04, 16:20 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredMX6
ok... i'm back... did ya's all miss me???
I just got back from W.A. today, and damn tassie is cold
Hey there, I was in WA only a couple of weeks ago also. How come you went there?

post #1555 of 28178 (permalink) Old 11-9-04, 17:26

Quote:
The Austin was always trouble ... always broken down and never really working. It was bought by a collector of Morris & Austin cars
S'funny, these are almost always slightly strange characters. Strange, masochistic and they know way too much about something no-one else gives a solitary crap about. Kinda reminds me of the old guy who was an Amiga freak, whom I was selling some of my Amiga stuff to, back when I hated the idea of buying into the "evil Intel/Microsoft monopoly monolith thingy" in '97. Couldn't get rid of him for an hour, he went on so much. He made even me bored of talking about Amigas. Was so embarrassed I think I sold all my Amiga collection in a week and bought a PC....
Hearing an old guy rattle on about how much better Morris and Austin cars were than today's cars gives me a similar feeling of wanting to suddenly run away.... My Dad had all of these cars at one time or another, and his bang first reaction on hearing about Austin/Morris cars is, "Oh they were absolute crap!"
Lucky he talked me out of every Austin/Morris car I considered as a first car, and even a Citroen DS(!!!). I still blame him for not talking me out of the Passat though.... Bloody thing....

Quote:
1800's aren't worth much still ... you'd only ever get $3-4000 for a super schmick example ... considering the only sold for under $3k ... most owners (who've kept them) haven't lost a cent :P
Hmm. Like the previous owner of the absolutely crap VW Passat that was my first car... I was under the bonnet again for like the 43rd time that week, and this old guy came up to me on the street and tells me this was his last car, and how lovely it was to drive and that he owned it for 5 years and spent something like $10,000 on it to keep it running (and it was still crap), and it was the best car he'd ever had (poor sod). I was listening to him and kinda wishing he'd want to buy it back from me, but no such luck - he'd bought another VW Passat! Some people never learn.....

My MX6 experience was more a rolling restoration than everyday transport...

My MX6 is sold!

2006 Mazda 3 SP23

Last edited by 1989MX6; 11-9-04 at 17:32.
post #1556 of 28178 (permalink) Old 11-9-04, 18:39

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickebabe
Hey there, I was in WA only a couple of weeks ago also. How come you went there?
went over to see my dad... and i'm going back on the 4th december, if this keeps up i'll prob end up moving over there... So much nicer than tassie, and they actually have job vacancies LOL
post #1557 of 28178 (permalink) Old 11-9-04, 18:49 Thread Starter

Fredmx6: Fair enough. I actually really liked it over there.... Although I didnt see many mx6's.... Are you a member of HCC?? If so are you going on the cruise on the 21st?

So... Can anyone tell me if you get more posts added to your tally when posting in the Lounge or is it just the one forum???

post #1558 of 28178 (permalink) Old 11-9-04, 19:17

The lounge doesn't count on your post #s. Only those in automotive forums.

When they outlaw freedom, only outlaws are free
post #1559 of 28178 (permalink) Old 11-9-04, 20:12

however im pretty sure that as this thread isnt in a lounge, any posts in here do count :P
thats how i got my stars

fredmx6, wa is a great place to live but it does get kinda boring cos theres not really that much to do.

chickebabe, a few mates say why dont i sell it but the thing is i cant afford to get a car that i like and is decent. i havent got the funds to buy it and as i dont have a fulltime job i cant and dont want to get a loan

Hail to the King, Baby!
BMW Z3 M-Spec Roadster, 3.2L ///M POWER
SOLD 1990 Eunos Cosmo 20B Twin Turbo
post #1560 of 28178 (permalink) Old 11-10-04, 2:27 Thread Starter

Darkslayer: thats exactly like me. i've had so many people say to me why dont i get rid of it. In fact i've wondered a few times myself why i dont get rid of it but its just the matter of what else would i get and i wouldnt be able to get anything else that I really would end up being happy with. And when ever i decide i should sell mine i see like 10 times the amount of mx6's arouund that i usually do (which is a lot for tassie coz thers not many of them down here) so then i consider it a sign to keep it.... so yeah... ive still go it..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page