Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, the girl insist on me fixing her car. My mechanic for some reason wont pick up his phone for the past week, so im thinking he is out of town since its just him at the shop. The problem:

Its overheating pretty bad. Now, it has not hit the H on hot, but it gets very close. it takes about 30 min for this car to start overheating. i added coolant to the car and burped it and ran the heater to see if this might work. Nope. We drove it to taco bell and on the way home right when we pull into the neighborhood, it starts to over heat. now it wasnt leaking any coolant before. we pull into the garage and i open the door and all of a sudden i hear like water gushing out and hitting the ground. i look and its a lot of coolant. i look at the hoses, not one busted, look at the radiator, perfectlty fine. the coolant was coming out of the tank. there was so much pressure that it was forcing it out of the reservoir tank cap. Any ides on whats causing this? She wants me to replace the thermostat to see if thats it. any other ideas? thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
see if the thermo fans are running. you say it gets hot when u come back to the neighbourhood, probly coz u drive slower there. radiator will get enough air at like 40mph without the fans.

could also be the thermostat, yes. if the tstat sticks, youll get a build up of pressure on one side of the system, and that may blow ur coolant all over the ground. could also cause other probs like blown hoses gaskets and water pump seals if you dont fix it.

if you suspect a thermostat (common), simply remove it. you wont need all of you coolant anymore, so start with 3/4 of whats reccomended and just top up/let out ur coolant charge seasonally, as you temp gauge dictates.

or replace it

but i hate the idea of deliberatly putting in too much coolant then restricting the flow personally.

just my 2cents

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Sounds like a possible blown head gasket to me, like pressure from one or more cylinders is getting past a fire ring on the head gasket and getting into the cooling system. A compression check should be able to confirm a bad head gasket.

Just make sure that the thermostat is opening, the radiator is getting hot (the thermostat and water pump are fine), and thay the cooling fans are operating as they should.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
problem fixed. it was the thermostat :D

·
Registered
1,522 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JUST DAMN THAT CAR. where the thermostat was located... omg.. horrible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts