Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car is new to me if you catch my drift and has only an intercooler and a custom 3 1/2 " exhaust yet, haven't been to the track in her yet so i'm wondering how some stock 2.0's have done hoping i can do a little better
thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
16-17's if you have a MTX

·
Registered
666 Posts
Umm, why would you need an intercooler on a 2.0? Also, a 3.5 inch exhaust?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i guess i really didn't make myself too clear on that, see i got my 6 less than a month ago from a middle aged guy who had done some work on it himself, he put in what looks to be an aftermarket intercooler in the grille and the exhaust he put on it is roughly 3 to 3 1/2 inches in diameter at the tip, he also put in some new piping in the engine. I haven't had a chance to do much to it at all performance wise, i added some appearence mods like decals and some other things (carbon fiber, harnesses, etc.) and have been looking at audio equipment. As for the "mtx" or "atx" im new to mx6's entirely and don't know my self, if somebody would explain to me the difference or how to recognize whether or not i have any such thing at all it would be greatly appreciated,
thanks again

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
mtx is a manual transmission and atx is an automatic transmission. So I'm really hoping that explains it enough.

Your tip has nothing to do with the cat-back piping. By cat-back I mean the piping from the CATalytic converter BACK to the muffler. That is problably 2 or 2.5 inches in diameter if it's aftermarket. Your exhaust tip, the pipe I think you described, sounds to be aftermarket as well. The catback exhaust witht the muffler should add very little hp.

What year is your car? The 93-97 MX6 came in two trims... a V6 and a 4cyl. Before that Mazda made a GT MX6 that was a 4-cyl turbo-charged engine. So answer what year and I can explain what the intercooler is and what it does. If you have a 93-97 4-banger with a turbo then we have a completely different story. A 93-97 MX6 4-cyl does not have a turbo and does not need an intercooler. Your turbo in that case would be aftermarket. Please let us know!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mine is a 96 4 cyl "atx", it's what my parents bought me and the fact that when i hit the gas, the engine wails like mad, just tells me that it's worth putting money into, it's nothing like my dad's S2000 but it's certainly tunable. that's why i'm on here trying to find out how, where, and when to get products to make it better.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Is the wail a high pitched whine??? Does your car sound like a MAC truck stopping with the air brakes evrytime you shift? That is a blow off valve. Just take your car in to the dealer and ask if your unsure? If it is tc then you have a pretty quick little 4cyl MX6. If not, then you need to sit in a V6 and see what real power in a 6 is like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts