Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since i put an ECU intake exhaust and headers i have been exited to see what my 96 LS can do. I lost my tickets but i remember my best time being a 9.8 something at about 75 mph. Im getting a new clutch, mine slips and was a bit during these runs so i hope to do better. Any advice on how to improve my launch times? And are these times about right?

G

·
1/8 mile times

i have run 10.03 at around 72 mph
in my 89 mx6 gt

turbo intercooled
kn filter
venom 400
pacestter catback
short shifter
custom air intake
stock wheels and tires

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
wouldnt, a turbo car be better on the 1/4mile because it has to spool up. but you can practice the start and shirt points too.

G

·
1/8 mile times

i really dont know yet i havent got the chance to run it on the 1/4 mile yet they are still building it at the new speedway here in nashville but as soon as i can i will post a time

it generally spools up pretty quick i get about 10 psi at 3500 rpm and it holds up to around 5500 when i shift i probally could run faster if i ran up into the redline but cant afford to blow this engine just yet:)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New times in since the installation of my new clutch and finally putting back on the egr pipe

Track conditions were clear on wed june 6 at Ohio Valley Dragway in Louisville, Ky ... low altitude, in 70 degree range

First Run
(took out spare tire and sub, had 1/4 tank of gas)

Reaction... 0.220

60ft... 2.263

330ft... 6.341

594ft... 9.152

1/8 et... 9.771 @ 75.60 mph

Second Run (added octane booster, tightened air flow tube fixing idle problem, deflated tires to 20 psi)

Reaction... 0.196

60ft... 2.208

330ft... 6.277

594ft... 9.072

1/8 et... 9.695 @ 76.91 mph

- My friends na 300zx (exhaust, headers, computer) beat me both times with a 9.4 and 9.5 run .... my mph was higher both times though!!!
:cool:

G

·
those are some good ttimes you have run there
but theres one thing that doesnt make sense and thats your reaction times on an 1/8th mile your reaction should be as close to .400 as possible and yours are as close to .000 you need a green light to keep it real not red light it by that much.....

89 mx6 gt
212,000 miles
venom 400
pacesetter catback
"" short shifter
kn filter
runs 10.03 in 1/8 mile

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
reaction time close to .400

Sorry man not understanding you.
At this track we race at a timing event not any competition ... anyways that is what my tickets say. Why would .4 be better than a .000? The drag nittos really helped get this car off the line. I launched at 4500 rpms this time

Another thing, the best reaction time was a super modded talon that had a reaction time of .08 ... even the announcer made a comment about it
(******* bondo car drivers were always in this range too but those are cars for competition)

G

·
sorry to confuse you. the reaction time im talking about is from the first yellow light till the green light . on a pro tree takes .400 sec. and .500 on a full tree which is what most 1/8 mile tracks use. your track must only time you from the green light. most tracks at least all ive visited which isnt all that many time your reaction time from the first yellow light . a perfect light at our track is a .500
i ran mine today best i got was a 10.14 it was about 82 degrees out

89 mx6gt
venom 400
short shifter
cat back
kn filter
212,700 miles

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Im getting the mx-6 back tomorrow after a tune up. The vaccum system still set off the engine light and spark plugs, rotor cap, etc were all origional. Now its fixed. I will run the car again to see if it made a diffrence and post my times again. Maybe i will beat my friends 300 ZX this time!!! Wish me luck.

Until this last time with the nittos, i launched at about 3000 rpms, floored it when i felt grip and shifted into second at 7500 (no redline) and into third at (just before) 7000 putting me in a good part of my power band after each shift. The tires i used were 205 50 15 Kumos they were ok but spun in first and good portion of second on a hard shift killing my times

I wonder what stock times of a mx-6 V6 would be ... a 10.20 ?

The BEST time for the integra type R (exhaust, AEM intake) is 9.9!!!

2000 Eclipse (headers, exhaust, intake, maybe more) is a 9.8

Dohc 3000 GT (some mods) is at 9.6

SVT contour stock at 9.8

Preludes, Civics, Neons, Del sols, Crxs, ZX3s, SHOs, Cougars all failed to break 10.00 natrally aspirated (no nitrous or forced induction)
Mustang GTs are within striking distance at 9.0 - 9.5

P.S. My 88 Turbo is close to being done, watch for its times this summer

G

·
my best time so far is a 10.1 in my 87 crx si with a pacesetter header and homemade intake , my friend james' civic is running mid 8.00's and theres one civic runing high 7.00's not to mention the talon running 6.74's i find it funny that a talon is just totally killing a hennessey venom 600 viper (best time is a 7.3) well thats all for now.

·
Registered
332 Posts
yeah but i bet that Viper is WAY past the Talon at the end of the 1/4.

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
There are lots of DSMs out there running 10s. There are a few that even run 9s. With a 20G turbo, new fuel pump and injectors, a fuel computer, an electronic boost controller, a new clutch, a new exhaust, a new intake/intercooler, and a little bottom-end work on the engine, a DSM can run at 600+ hp. Not too bad out of a 2.0L l4. Granted, Vipers do close to that without turbos, so they don't have to wait for it to spool, but they also cost WAY more.

If I didn't have any car, and I was offered a Viper or an AWD DSM for free, I'd take the Viper, but then I'd sell it to some idiot, buy the AWD DSM, put $10k into it in mods, take it to the track, and beat the sh!t out of the guy I sold the Viper to.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is alot of hp to run in under 7 seconds. A mustang GT eith 600+ hp, REAR WHEEL DRIVE, and slicks ran a best 7.20 something. The only civic i have seen run the 1/8 in 8 second range is at 8.24, a civic si with all bolt ons and a 100 shot of nos

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Blew Motor !!!

My KL03 took a bow breaking down after 86000 miles. Although i have not dissassembled the low end, the #2 piston is floating around. I am very disapointed because of the times this motor was producing. Oh well, I just bought a KL-ZE from Japan Direct and am modifying the heads off the old motor so it will flow alot of more air. The motor should be in on the 25 of June and the heads will be installed if all goes well by the end of the summer. Stay tuned for more 1/8 mi times once eveything has been broken in.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
THAT SUCKS ABOUT YOUR RIDE....

in a way, since your getting the KLZE it kinda makes it worth it :) my best time out of 4 runs was 10.6 @ 70 mph. i kept spinning the wheels and rolling off the staging lights. grrrr....i wanted to run more and try to break into the high 9's but i didnt want to breakdown all the way across the great state of michigan. i cant wait to start modding the engine and seeing what my times will be.

solar

1 - 17 of 17 Posts