Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mx6 is all ready light at 1259kg(2775lb) but i want to shed another 100kg, money is also limited and it will be a daily driver. How can i achieve this?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Take out everything behind the front seats (the rears are worthless anyways). Remove the A/C. Remove the sound deadening. Carpet? Whatever you can but, still feel comfortable driving on a daily basis. Further weight reduction cost moneyz (CF hood, trunk, race battery, light wheels, etc).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks you TWO guys have been very helpful, How much do you think i can get from the rims? i was gonna do all the obv free things and hav estimated around 30-40kg

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
can we ask why you are trying to shed this weight? if it's for a particular reason, our guidance will be better attuned.

·
Registered
752 Posts
My goal is to increase the power to weight ratio, i am still on my p's, i wont get off them till im neally 26! lost my licence for two years and had 2 start the whole 3yr peroid again. In Aus where i live u cannot drive turbos,V8's, high performance 6's(m3, 350z) or modified engines, I can only get away with a few mods (hopefully) so i need 2 shed weight to make her quicker. My goal is 100kg and nethig more wld be great.
Where are you from in Aus? i will happily help take stuff out and take it off your hands :p but 100kgs is a lot and you will have to do more than take the interior out

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im in Vic so probs alil 2 far away to lend a hand, i only need another 60-70kg 2 shed from outside the car was thinkin about a carbon fibre bonnet and lighter rims, not sure how much it will be and im limited 2 about $1500 for now.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
get rid of the power drivers seat. Those things are heavy.

·
Registered
752 Posts
You could save a lot with the right wheels but a good set will cost as much as the car is worth and i would think a bonnet alone would be up around the $1500 mark

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Geez...can't take a joke?

thanks you TWO guys have been very helpful, How much do you think i can get from the rims? i was gonna do all the obv free things and hav estimated around 30-40kg
Look, I thought you'd get a laugh out of it. Take a chill pill.

I myself am doing what you are. First start with the rear seats,then front passenger seat, then door panelling in front and rear panels also. Remove the carpet in the trunk, the spare, get a lighter battery, remove the sound deadening. Remove the wing, that's about 10 lbs on it's own.

Then you get into spending money, like a Carbon Fiber hood, Trunk, have someone fabricate a CF sunroof if you have one and remove the motor from it.

Under the hood, you can shave a few pounds too, remove all useless bolts, replace some things with zipties instead of screws. A/C delete, Cruise Control delete...You should save quite a bit of weight with everything I just mentioned. Good luck with your project.

Am I helpfull now?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wasnt refurthering 2 u, i did get a laugh outa it, but i do want this forum to be serious, I was referring to chefspot
"Start removing things from the car. Taking things off the car is free."
This wasnt the kind of answer i wld expect from a moderator and i took it as an insult.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It just sounded like a complete smart arse reply where u were just stating the obv. that was my perception of it neway.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
My answer was as simple as the question that you asked. :shrug: I didn't mean to sound like an asshole. If I did, it was not my intention.

Before you go insulting me, ask around. MANY people will say I am one of the most helpful people on this site, moderator or not.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nah, Chef is just used to answering my dumba$$ questions...lol (Am I hijacking again?)

How much does the Antilock Brake crap weigh? USELESS, I know where the line is to stop my car, I dont need a computer for that..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
ok the next thread i start will be more informative,
wow u must be a really good driver if u can brake just as good as an ABS in all road conditions without locking up, u should be a race car driver!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts