Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am bored with my car. I have been trying to come up with a different project, but haven't come up with anything. I was gonna turbo it, or do a 300+hp N/A project with it. However, in some of my thinking, I came up with this. Do you think it would be possible to convert an 2nd gen MX6 to RWD and than swap in a 13BREW? Money and time does not matter.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Wow, we haven't heard this before :rolleyes:

Anything is possible with enough time and money. Do us a favour and leave the theoretical aspect of this project to yourself, and simply go and do it. Return with many pictures of your results and you will bask in the glory of being the one of hundreds of people who actually DID something, other than just ask about it.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
converting to RWD would be a huge undertaking, but refer to an older thread in this section where i discussed using the 13B in a FWD configuration.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yea its definitely possible. In fact I know people have already done this. I think theres a couple on ausrotary.com forums that did this.

From what I know, you gotta convert it to RWD first so you can put in the 13B. You do lose some power once you convert FWD to RWD. Then to put the engine in you probably need to customise a lot of things.

The cost will be anywhere from 8-10 grand at least since RWD conversion is 5k by itself.
I wanted to do this myself just dont have the cash atm.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Find me a 10k FD that's nice...wait, doesnt happen. My whole point in asking was that I figured someone had done it already. I would rather spend the money doing this to the MX6 because after it was finished, it would be an all around better platform than the FD. It is smaller and lighter.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
97KLV6 said:
Find me a 10k FD that's nice...wait, doesnt happen. My whole point in asking was that I figured someone had done it already. I would rather spend the money doing this to the MX6 because after it was finished, it would be an all around better platform than the FD. It is smaller and lighter.

bullshit.

bought my FD for 8 grand....sold it for 9. Also, the 13B in a second gen is the same as the 13B in the FD... Go with a 91 Rx7 if this is what you're wanting to accomplish.

If you can get it to work in an mx6 great...I don't see all the glory and fame in it's impracticality, but *shrugs* that's just me. I'd love to do it myself, but I would much rather put 10 g into an rx7 that's already done for me, than 10g into an mx6 that whenever something goes wrong I HAVE to fix myself.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
RevZempoe said:
bull[shizzle].

bought my FD for 8 grand....sold it for 9. Also, the 13B in a second gen is the same as the 13B in the FD... Go with a 91 Rx7 if this is what you're wanting to accomplish.

If you can get it to work in an mx6 great...I don't see all the glory and fame in it's impracticality, but *shrugs* that's just me. I'd love to do it myself, but I would much rather put 10 g into an rx7 that's already done for me, than 10g into an mx6 that whenever something goes wrong I HAVE to fix myself.
Burn.. :muhaha:

With the money you spend making it RWD you could of bought a turbo and FMIC setup.

Under 10 G
1993 RX7 Turbo

BUY IT NOW PRICE: $8,000
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-Mazda-RX7-single-turbo-beast_W0QQitemZ4586112989QQcategoryZ6327QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Banned
1,166 Posts
sunny_mx6 said:
Yea its definitely possible. In fact I know people have already done this. I think theres a couple on ausrotary.com forums that did this.

From what I know, you gotta convert it to RWD first so you can put in the 13B. You do lose some power once you convert FWD to RWD. Then to put the engine in you probably need to customise a lot of things.

The cost will be anywhere from 8-10 grand at least since RWD conversion is 5k by itself.
I wanted to do this myself just dont have the cash atm.
i want proof of all three points you tried to make. i believe people have put rotaries in the mx6 body but not daily driven 6's. two, why would you lose power from doing a fwd to rwd conversion and what idiot believes you have to convert it to rwd drive before you can put in the 13b, is that what the haynes manual says. doing a 13b swap and rwd would have to be a totally custom job so where is this rwd conversion kit you speak of sold at?

·
Registered
35 Posts
just telling you what i know. As for the RWD conversion, it would be stupid not to get it done if you want the most power out of the rotary.

i also said i know people have done it whether its for a daily car or not i dont know.

Losing power from the conversion i think that only implies if you leave the mx6 engine in.

·
Registered
330 Posts
In order to convert to RWD you would have to rework the entire floorpan of the car, keep that in mind. You would have to cut the center out, then weld a tunnel in for the drive shaft and new trans configuration..

·
Banned
1,166 Posts
Brandon002 said:
In order to convert to RWD you would have to rework the entire floorpan of the car, keep that in mind. You would have to cut the center out, then weld a tunnel in for the drive shaft and new trans configuration..
finally someone who knows what their talking about, i fucking hate newbs that talk bullshit and cant back it up.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
rotary RWD mx6 = rx7

come on which one would you pick?

RdS said:
i can think of two drag cars straight away with that sort of setup... one with a 13B, the other with a 20B.
I know these people have put a 20B in one. (or maybe its just the body, i dont know)
http://www.pacperformance.com.au/
you could probably talk to them about it.

http://www.pacperformance.com.au/content/lang__en/tabID__3928/Team/mx6.aspx
isnt that 26B BMW in sydney (queens street BMW or something) getting about the same amount of power? how much boost do you think that 20B mx6 is running 8D 8D

·
Registered
397 Posts
I definitely suggest a 20B if you're going to convert to RWD. Especially if $ is no object. You're looking @ 300hp stock vs. 145hp N/A of the 13b. Not to mention how much potential the 20B has. One can be had for about 5-6 grand.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts