Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm serious looking into getting a pair of rims for my 6. but I don't want to get a set that aree to big for my car. I have a friend with a civic and his rims are 18's and he can't lower it because the wheel will hit the fender. I don't want this to happen as I do plan to lower my car sooner or later. I was thinking about the style of rims on the 2nd gen. 6 on the main page. (Jorge's Mx-6) what do you think?

Jason
89 LX

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Well. I've never heard of anyone putting 18's on a 1stgen, which I think is rediculous anyway. I mean, are you doing this for looks or performance? Another thing to consider is how easily the rim will be damaged with a higher profile due to potholes. With a 16" rim, depending on your stock tires size you'll have either a 50 or 55 series tire. Which is still plenty of meat left to absorb impacts. With 17's, you're looking at 45's which reduce protection. I doubt there really is a huge handling difference between 50's on 16" rims and 45's on 17"s. I myself am juggling with the idea of 16"s or 17"s. I think I might end up getting 16"s so I dont sacrifice too much ride quality, and I dont end up destroying a nice set of expensive rims. The roads are shit here. I've actually destroyed a 14" rim that had 75 series tires on it from one of our potholes when I had an old peugeot.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well as far as protecting my wheels I don't really think that I would damage them considering that I live in a very well to do neighbor hood with kids that have parents that buy them $30,000 dollar car them fix them up with 17's and all that. besides I go over bumps and dips slow, just a habit from having a totally awsome 74 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia until the engine blew out (two times) so I had to get rid of it.

Jason
89 LX

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Heavy 17 inch rims will slow you down noticably, especially if you get chrome ones. Go for the 16"ers unless you are all about lookin' phat, which I guess is OK.

G

·
I need rims too

I have my mx6 modded with alot of boost and it accelerates very well...I really want to put wheels on it but don't want to affect the incredible accel... Will 17" or larger affect this, I heard it might slow me down?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
There was a very interesting Sport Compact Car article on how wieght affects accleration (Jan 2001 issue). Basically, with a 2000 Eclipse GT here's what hapened:

16" 15.5 sec @ 89.4 mph
17" 15.5 sec @ 89.0 mph
18" 15.6 sec @ 87.9 mph.

It seems that wheel wieght really just affected trap speed.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Heavy wheels will do most harm to your handling, because they are unsprung weight (not supported by the suspension). If you look at the guys who race compact cars in the SCCA classes, most of them run 15"s and 16"s. The touring cars run really large wheels, this is true, but they are super light forged ones you can't afford.

G

·
weight of wheels...

Now remember, sometimes it has to do with the weight of the after-market tires that you are getting....My best-friend has a 3000GT with 18" Konig Villan's on it and he says they weight less than his stock wheels that came with the car....it all depends on what wheels you get and how much they weigh. Oh yeah....and about screwing up your wheels by hitting potholes...YOU HAVE TO HIT A HUGE ONE TO SCREW ANYTHING UP!! He has hit potholes and his 18's dont get damaged at all....just thought I would give you my 2 cents about this.....peace.
-krazy

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really don't think that you would be able to see a noticable differance between 16's and 17's and I also agree that you must be going really fast of a damn huge pot hole to screw anything up. But what I origanlly want to know was do 17's LOOK good on our cars, and what are some good rims that will LOOK nice? I like wayman's rims but my car is silver and i think that white rims on a sliver car would look stupid.

Jason
89 LX

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have 17's with 215/40ZR17's. My wheel and tire combo is actually lighter than the stock 15's. Plus, I think the ride is better. True, I can feel every little bump a little better, but it feels better than the stock 15's. My car is lowered with intrax and there is no clearance problems whatsoever, plus the 17's look great. Get 17's, you won't be disappointed:D

·
Registered
379 Posts
Well I live in the Great Lakes region, so I deal with monster potholes on a daily basis :D I'll have to post a picture of Rauch Road west of Erie, MI for you guys to show what I mean! *drives gravel roads on a regular basis*

According to http://michelin.tireselector.com there is no 18" wheel fitment for first-gens. I supposed (based on tire diameter calculations) that one could fit a set of, say, P215/35VR18 B.F. Goodrich Scorcher T/As, but don't quote me on that. The largest size tire that can be used with any first-gen is P225/45R17 (source: http://bfgoodrich.tireselector.com ); GTs will take 205/60R15s, 205/55R16s, 215/60R15s, 215/55R16s, and 225/45R17s, while DX/LX models will take 195/60R15s, 205/55R15s, 205/50R16s, and 215/40R17. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Re: weight of wheels...

krazy said:
Oh yeah....and about screwing up your wheels by hitting potholes...YOU HAVE TO HIT A HUGE ONE TO SCREW ANYTHING UP!! He has hit potholes and his 18's dont get damaged at all....just thought I would give you my 2 cents about this.....peace.
-krazy
Around here, most of the people I know with low profile tires, well, lets just say their rims look like squares :).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts