Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short answer, 275/40/17 will NOT fit without fender cutting. 255/40/17 on 10" rims fit in front. 255/40/17 will not fit in back on either rim. I'm thinking about 225/45/17 in back on a 9" as that is about the same stretch as the 255's on front, same offset and same diameter and is plenty of tire in the rear. Based on tire wear/temps I only use about 215mm of it under hard cornering, Autocross or Track.

Don't know if 255's will actually be faster as they're heavier (slower to accelerate) and the width presents more rolling resistance for the straights, but the extra cornering grip *may* offset that. Only way to know is to try. And if they're slower so be it. Car was silly fast on 225's. Now on to the pics.

Full Album for more detailed fitment pics:
Tires Wheels pictures by dillinr - Photobucket

Wheels are Enkei RPF-1 17x9 et22 and 17x10 et18

275/40/17 Hankook, 10" front, 255/40/17 BFG R1, 9" rear:

255/10" front, only slightest rub on fender lip after the drive home:

255/40 RS3, 10" Rear, no chance of not rubbing...but it looks cool.

255/40 RS3, 9" Rear, still rubbed just driving on the street...full tread depth tires and race conditions would rub hard...Some more aggressive fender rolling/flaring would do the trick!

255 RS3, 10" vs 255 RS3, 9" sidewall comparison. Fits fine on a 9, but has a nice stretch which firms the sidewalls and widens/flattens the tread:

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Good stuff. So it isn't just me doing silly things to get some rubber under the guards (Gavin excluded).

I'm in the process of fitting some 9.5 +25 under a GD front and rear. ended up cutting the outer skin in the rear and pulling the guard. Have reshaped the inner skin to match the outer. Have some welding to do, but nothing too bad. Then hoping to fit 245's under it.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
245's on a 9.5" should fit very nicely. with a +25 they'd go on a 2G perfectly.

You're braver than I am, cutting fenders to fit tire is a far cry from a little rolling and creative pulling. Pictures of the process?

Gavin is a different story all together, that man is a scientist! I do love his flares. Saw them in person, even got to drive the car...briefly. I'd copy his flare setup in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
I had a touch of madness one day and fitted up some 18 x 9.5 +25 off my Stagea. I've been searching for a way to get more grip, so decided to start working on the rear guards. It's a little more difficult on a 4 door.... The idea was that if the 9.5" rim fits under the rear, then a 9" with a 245 R-spec tyre will fit.

This is the cut of the skins. Will be welding some sheet metal in it.

Rear end with the 235's on the 9.5" rim.

And the fronts with a roll and a pull. Am yet to relieve the rear mount of the guard in front of the door. The front of the guard pulled out by about 2 inches.

Also thought I'd add that I haven't shifted the guard from the chassis yet like you did with the fronts on your car. It's on the to do list.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good!

Someone asked via PM about the 225's being faster. I'll respond to him here so that hopefully it will help someone else:

225 Tire size, you comment the car drove faster. I'll admit that I'm struggling to understand. Is it just coming down to a handling aspect?
Everything you change involves a compromise.

It's possible the car may be faster on the track with the 225's. The reason is rolling resistance and weight. The wider a tire the more power it takes to overcome the friction of the rubber on the road. It's common in many racing series for lower horsepower cars to be faster around a given track on a 205 vs a 225. One common example is various Civics in NASA/SCCA Classes. With a 225 they'll loose more straight line speed and acceleration than can be made up for with cornering grip.

Bigger is not always better. ;)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Lookin good as always man! :tup: Your 6 has been my inspiration to get mine to the track (Cayuga) this summer and do some autocrossing! Cheers - I look forward to more pics and updates!

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks guys.

Trunk was a one off production run several years ago, I picked this one up secondhand. Saved about 9lbs from the stock, no spoiler trunk.

Hood is a cheap fiberglass one off Evilbay, though they don't seem to be made anymore...that saved me about 30lbs off the front of the car, most of that in front of the axle. Plus the venting helps keep engine temps in check, and theoretically vent under hood pressure at speed, reducing lift.

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
Nice to know what CAN fit. I'll be needing as much meat on the fronts when I try to make 400+ hook up on the track (1/4mi). It would be awesome if there were aftermarket fenders that allowed for wider tires up front.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Beef... It's what's for dinner
With 275's it's like the whole fucking cow!

Shadow, aftermarket fenders are only a Sawzall away. ;) Grab some junkers and start cutting!

Though I can't blame you for not wanting to...I'm definitely not there yet. 255's are more than enough grip. Already on 225's I had more grip than the suspension could adequately handle as I'm constantly bottoming out the struts. That means it's time for either stiffer springs and/or stiffer roll bars. Considering I'm running 10k springs front and rear with an AWR Rear bar I may try bars first...though springs are much cheaper....l

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
This thread is full of amazing.

Ryan- I have a set of 17x8.5 +35 wheels that I will be running on the mx6 for regular driving. What size tires would you recommend? I was thinking about 235/40/17 BFG KDWs as per some advice from Kyle and Mikhail via facebook. I toyed with the idea or 245 or 255 width to help keep the power on the ground but they talked me out of it. Just wondering what you think since you've got the experience.

Also, I would like to run some r comp tires on the kosei k1s that Goat had on the mx6 for spirited driving and track days. They are 16x7.5 +32 if I remember correctly. With 225/50/16 tires on them now that need replacing.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ha ha, thanks!

If all you're looking for is straight line grip 255's would provide that, but the camber you may have to run to keep them under the fenders would compromise traction to the point that a 235 with no camber would be better. Furthermore, the more you pinch a tire on a rim the rounder (think donut shaped) it's contact patch becomes, making it smaller, then you'd need less pressure to put all the tread it all on the ground, equaling even worse handling.

Check the pics of the 255 on a 10 vs 9, on a 10" rim you'll have a slightly larger contact patch, as it 'unrolls' the tire if you will, flattening it. IE wider contact patch.

235/40 would be a great size for an 8.5" rim, wide, short, light, would handle great, keep the sidewalls square for handling/daily driving use. I ran that on a 8" rim for a long time and loved it.

Another factor, overall diameter and weight. The 225/45's and 255/40's are the same height which is a triple whammy, longer gearing and higher center of gravity....and the weight. Gearing and weight may not be as much of a factor when you've got oodles of power, but it makes a very noticeable difference on Carmen with all of 150whp, even with the shorter PGT final drive.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I would like to add here that the megan racing rear arms are adjustable, and in their fully retracted state, along with my ksports adjusted to the inner set of holes on the upper mount, it pulls the whole rear assembly in, making the 255's possible without doing much fender work...I would be willing to test the theory...

when I have a bit of time I'll get some pics of mine up...

you saying all this about feeling it at your power level is tempting me to raid a few more parts off the black 96...not right away, but the urge will be there...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts