Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Gavin is a different story all together, that man is a scientist! I do love his flares. Saw them in person, even got to drive the car...briefly. I'd copy his flare setup in a heartbeat.
Bah...my car is junk :p (although I will be making it less junky....going to use R6s in front and A6s in the rear...the balance should be spot on)

I remember that test drive...he he. Good thing that race official had bigger asses to kick than ours. (we were bad boys ;) )

With 275's it's like the whole [fizzle]ing cow!
you thinking of DSP?......c'mon...you know you want to ;). For drag racing id imagine a tire diameter of much more than 22" (or whateverthehell the 275/35/15 is) would be better from a torque/tire spin management and MPH vs RPM standpoint. Still would be a pain in the arse (fender?) since straightliners would want to have the wheels as vertical, to maximize the tire contact patch, as possible.

PS: why 255s on the rear? I really wouldnt see much use for more than 225 (heck, I even thought to drop down to 205s) on the rear just on weight and temperature efficiency reasons. Just wanted to see if they would fit?

Gavin

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yessss...We were so evil as to be threatened with disqualification! What an arse...typical SRS BSNS autocrosser douche....

WRT class, not really thinking of anything. Just making the car fun and fast. It's buried everywhere it goes, and I don't have the Billy Brooks/Jason Rhodes drive to make an unknown forgotten, pushed aside car compete in a class nobody though it could. Too many other projects and interests yanking my attention away. :p

Though I had quite the spark when I though the car could be an STF car, There I though it could be a darkhorse and I'd happily de-mod to try and be competitive...But alas, it wasn't to be...

Oh, and 255's on the rear? Curiousity, want to know the most I can fit just cause. If they happened to fit I'd run them just to make rotating front to back possible, and make the changes in the setup necessary to make it handle. Otherwise like you 225's are plenty adequate. Tire temps and wear suggest I don't actually use more than 80% the width of the tire as is with -1.5deg camber.

Since I can run so much rubber in front than back, and need to stagger anyway...I'll stick with 225's in the rear. Though 205's sound interesting...what size is the same diameter as the 275/35/15??

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
think 205/50/15 is "close enough" to match the diameter of the 275/35/15....or at least close enough so that you can get a decent r-compound in that size.

Were you thinking track days though? The 275/15 is nice in terms of width, but your terminal speed will go right to the shitter. Stock rolling diameter or slightly above would be where its at for track day shoes.

Gavin

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes. 275/35/15 would make Miller West a 5th gear course. Yikes! Though for solo that short gearing is addictive...

255/40/17 is a nice size for the track, little taller than stock, it gives me some much needed legs on the east course where I run out of revs in 3rd, but not worth a shift into 4th as I'm barely on the limiter before a turn and needing 3rd again.

Of course if I ever put that engine together I'll have another 500rpm to play with...

·
Registered
115 Posts
245's on a 9.5" should fit very nicely. with a +25 they'd go on a 2G perfectly.
Ryan, are you confirming that I can run a square setup of 17x9 et 25 with 235/40-17s without any issues on a stock suspension?

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
235/40/17 is a little short, so you should be fine. I've run as much as 245/45/17 on 17x8 et30 under stock struts with a fender roll and no camber on PGT's, but most I've run on an mx6 with stock struts was a 225/40/18 on 18x8 et50. Not sure how different the fenders are, but neither hit the strut.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Okay. Good. I'm more worried about the strut than the fender. :) Thank you!!! I had a typo. I believe these are +15. I picked 5zigen 17x9 rims at a steal of a price, but didn't think to check to see if they'd fit. I really wanted a square 17x7 or 17x8 setup, but I'm hoping the 17x9's fit with some slightly stretched 235's. Worst case, I can run the 17x9 up front and get some 17x8's for the rear...

But lets see if this car will idle correctly before I go throwing new shoes at it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well. What I ended up getting were 17x8 et43. -_- Guy said he "thought they were 17x9 et 15"

On a plus note I don't believe the additional 3/4" backspacing will be a problem. 235's are a bit big for an 8" rim :(

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Meh, I ran 235's on an 8" for a while. No complaints. But given the option I would go 9 for slightly firmer sidewalls, slightly better steering response. However on the street not much that you can take advantage of.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah. That's why I was so excited to get the 17x9s. :( Alas, The car is gonna be 95% street with maybe 1 or 2 track days through the year at VIR. I have a bike that's my track whore.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ah, got it. VIR is a cool place, I'd love to dive there sometime. The cross country trip makes it a little more difficult.

I did mourn the loss of Oak Tree...Got a couple commemorative t-shirts for it. RIP you awesome tree.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hey man dont wanna thread jack you, but i was looking on getting wheels that are 17x9 30et all around. What tire choice is good, i know how wide i think i want but not sure on sidewall size? Wanna get coilovers too like ksports. And will i have any problems with back spacing, will i need spacers?

·
Registered
115 Posts
235/40-17 were what i was going to go with on 17x9. Close to factory sizing, only 2.1% larger which means you'll be about 2% faster than indicated on your speedo.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Taller tires add weight, and lengthen gearing that kills power, and taller sidewalls reduce steering response and feel. On the plus side they make the ride a little smoother.

So it depends what you're going for. Daily driver? Aesthetics? Racing?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wider tires are also going to increase rolling resistance, add weight, and reduce steering response while adding a little more stress to the power steering system. On the plus side, you have more dry grip and higher braking threshold.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Whatever you want to put on there can be made to fit under the fenders with coil overs, just depends on what you're willing to do with fenders and camber. But in the sizes you're interested in you will likely be fine with minimal modification.

Personally, for a daily driver, If you want 17's I would do something like a 17x7 or 8 with 215's or 225's max. Anything larger is difficult to really take advantage of and just costs more money.

I run 17x8 ET30's on my '90 626 because I had the wheels sitting around and threw on the cheapest tires I could find with the tallest sidewalls that was closest to the stock diameter. Turns out that is a 215/45/17. On stock struts w/ghetto cut springs it rides ok, handles ok, but if I were going clean sheet and really wanted 17's I'd go 17x7 and a 205/50/17, both wheels and tires in that size are ridiculously plentiful and cheap, closest to stock diameter, and lighter weight overall.

Not that I'm against wider rubber, but I find it difficult to safely and legally take advantage of all the grip wide rubber offers on the street. Plus narrower tires are more resistant to hydroplaning, meaning more grip at the times when you need it the most.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm in total agreement of Ryan's statement. Spot on, although I think he meant 215/40-17 instead of a 45 profile tire.

I'm likely going to get g-Force T/A KDW 2 in 215/40-17 on a 8" rim myself...

for a 9" width rim, tires in 225/40-17 are going to be hard to find, so you'll have to likely bump up to 235/40-17

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Nope, 215/45/17 in these guys right here...they get the job done.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Fuzion&tireModel=UHP&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=145WR7FZUHPXLV2&tab=Sizes

225/40/17 is a rare bird. I've had several sets, but only one company makes them...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hoosier&tireModel=A6&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=24ZR7A6&tab=Sizes

225/45 is the way to go. Cheaper, more options, and since many 225's are built wide, very nearly as wide as a 235. Only drawback is taller, hurting gearing, but may benefit highway MPG a tiny bit.

·
Registered
115 Posts
factory tire is 205/55-15. The 215/40-17 is a closer match to OEM than 215/45-17.

HAHA, and those Fuzion UHP are terrible tires... I mean, they are ultra cheap, but when it comes to tires, you get what you pay for. I'd say do yourself a favor and get Hankook Ventus S1 noble2. To each their own :)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+S1+noble2&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=145WR7H452XL&tab=Sizes

I've had DWS on a C6 and an IS250, and they are great tires for a DD. Low noise, great wear, awesome wet and snow traction for an A/S tire... But they have extremely poor steering feedback and soft sidewalls... They are comfortable though... If you ever plan on any aggressive/enthusiastic driving, get a different tire.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts