Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Talking about a 1G tire size, the 45 series is closer and I wanted the sidewall height for a tiny bit more ride comfort. I wasn't going for performance on that car, just something that was round and holds air. The 17's were an aesthetic upgrade with the benefit of better handling than the 195/65/15's. That car gets parked in winter, and I drive something with tall skinny snow tires...or the truck...

I'm well aware of getting what I pay for, which is why I buy cheap [shizzle]ty tires for the street daily driver and spend $2600 on Hoosiers and wheels to put them on. ;)

Besides, I like lower grip tires on the street. Funnest car I DD'd was a PGT-ZE that I put 205/65/15 Hercules RB-12's at 40psi front and 35 rear, with Eibach's and illuminas. [shizzle] tires, but made 25mph onramps 'fun' at a reasonable 50mph, where cars with real tires need to be going 60+ to be 'fun' on my favorite on ramps. James may said it best that skinny tires with low limits make for a more entertaining drive at normal speeds, where wide tires with loads of grip mean you've got to be going like a bat out of hell all the time to enjoy it. The race car is the most boring thing to drive on the street. 60mph on 25mph onramps is just boring. You've got to be going nearly 70 for things to get interesting which is just flat stupid dangerous.

However, the Wife's car gets premium all season tires, and premium winter tires too. :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Haha. you are right about that. ;) It's fun to go fast in a slow car. It's hard to enjoy a fast car on the street, or to go slow in a fast car.

I believe you and I are on the same page ryan. I'm just trying to make a conversation out of it. :)

RWD cars are easy to have fun in, keep really nice tires up front for exceptional braking and handling, while you have cheap tires in the rear... makes for awesome low speed drifting.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get used to drifting a FWD car, so I make em point and shoot go karts. My friend's GSR ('91 i think) handles on rails, and it's a blast to ring it through the gears. The mx6 is the same to me.

And sorry about the tire sizing. I thought this was a 2G question.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Someone gets me...you know, that's rare...most people just look at me funny when I say I purposely under tire my street cars...then really think I'm nuts when they see the tires on the race car.

MX6's just need a PGT diff swap and then you can run nearly whatever you like. Tell you what, the PGT diff with 23" tires is awesome.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts