Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

G’day MEXERS!!
My brother is selling his car and I’ve been offered his mag wheels.
And I was wondering …
Do you know if there is enough guard clearance to fit my second gen.?
The wheels are 18 x 8 inches front and 18 x 9 at the rear. Tyres F: 245/40 zr 18 R: 265/35ZR 18.
I can try them on but it won’t be that easy, as we don’t live very close together and it would be a wasted day’s travel if they don’t fit..
So I was hoping someone could tell me in advance to save a lot of d!cking around.
OH! And I wouldn’t mind you’re opinion on the design either..
Do you think they’ll look good on a MX6? Or do they look to ‘Uro’

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
18x9 on the rear will not work on 4WS models. I have 18x7.5 and there is about 1/2 gap between the inner wheel cage and tyre when the wheel turns. IMO they won't look good on a MX6.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks silver, they’re not my first choose either. Still they may be better than my stock first release factory mags..
I just re- read the 18 on 4ws post ..{I never paid much attention to it before these wheels came up}
Do you think the 18 x 9 will fit a 2ws mex ? Seems like it may be a possibility, suppose it depends on the offset of the rim ....Hmmmm……could be worth a drive.

OH! BTW this is my 100th post...... :D

PS: I still wont every ones opinion on the rims…
Cheers
P.K.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well, I gotta disagree with silver on this one - I kinda think they'd look OK on an MX, but... can't help but wonder about the effects on handling of having wider tires at the rear of a fwd car - something about the weight distribution of such a vehicle and the pressure exerted on the contact patch of the tire, might make the handling a bit too taily to be predictable - of course, it could be fun. :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Here you go P.K. a picture of what it would look like.

18x9 you will need your gaurds flared to be able to fit under there, but it shoul fit an a 2WS model

·
Registered
672 Posts
I like the look....unique in a way yet stylish.

What options would you have to make them fit?

G

·
definatly worth the days drive, and if the gaurds require lipping/rolling it still worth it - they look awesome! :)

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea! I thought merc. the first time I saw them...
I don’t know if a mex can carry them as well as a lexis
All though they look really good on silvers car.{Thanks for that silver}
I don't know exactly how much he wonts for them, but he is pretty generous to me {He loves his little brother :D}He is trying to sell the car privately, But it isn't going to well{heaps of them available}But if he trades the car in, the dealer's reckon that the wheels don't make much of a difference to the price. So I may be geting them for free.... Or a swap... If thay fit, And it sounds like thay will..I shouldn't realy pass them up .
All right Ill send him an e mail and tell him I wont'em..
PK

·
Registered
233 Posts
My 2 Bobs worth.

I,d worry about the width for rubbing. I think 8" is pushing it. Silver has 18X7.5 on his. He'd know better than me. (I have 16 X 7.5).

Secondly, the Mazda was claimed as a better handling car than Probe because of its slightly narrower wheels.

I'm not convinced of the design, a bit "heavy" for the car I think.

Sorry but its my H.O.

4WSB

G

·
Just something that grabbed my attention (I don't profess to be a 4WS expert) but wouldn't you have to keep the relative size of the tyres, from front to back, fairly close if not identical to avoid putting strain and /or balance on the 4WS. Another point when using different sizes from the back is tyre rotation (particularly with FWD) & spare tyres.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Please ignore this if you know already: :)

Those tyres are the wrong size for an MX6.
Your speedo would be so far out its not funny.

I'd be looking at 225x35x18 if available.

The outside diameter of the standard 205x55x15 rims is 606.5mm
The OD of the front tyre off your brothers car (forget the backs, as its even worse) is 653.2mm... far to big.

A 225x35x18 is 614mm which is OK.

Don't forget the weight of the wheels will have a major impact on the acceleration of the car. Those wheels look like they have a LOT of alloy in them too...

Good luck

Spectral.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right .... So the tyres would need to be smaller profile {tread sidewall ratio} Hummm...new tyres...sounds expensive :( ???Still maybe when these ones ware out I could buy the right ones.
Only 3 positive responses, on the design that is, And plenty of Woe on the mechanics of them ...I dunno I'm starting to have second thoughts.... I think I'll keep my original wheels, I won’t swap them, and get him another cheap pair for his car, in case it doesn't work out...Thanks for all of your input guys
PK

1 - 13 of 13 Posts