Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am getting a computer chip that adds atleast 18hp. With my other small mods this will equal out around 195-195hp. Will I be able to beat a Integra Type R with this horsepower? I know there 0-60 is around 6.7 with a perfesional driver. But our cars have a lot more torque. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
MX6 M Edition said:

Ok I am getting a computer chip that adds atleast 18hp. With my other small mods this will equal out around 195-195hp. Will I be able to beat a Integra Type R with this horsepower? I know there 0-60 is around 6.7 with a perfesional driver. But our cars have a lot more torque. What do you guys think?
For one, I think if you are buying a Superchip, Autothority, JET or other typical chip, you won't get anywhere near 18HP. The only device I've heard of that even remotely lives up to its billing is the "Unichip". It looks promising though I'd like to see more evidence on it. The two dyno plots I have seen look good though. The Unichip is an add-on computer that takes over spark and fuel and allows (requires) fine tuning on a dyno. A generic Superchip (for example) just won't do it for you.

As far as beating a Type R, keep in mind that car weighs 2640 pounds, about 200 less than an MX6. To get the same power-to-weight ratio, you'd need 206HP in the MX6. Having said that, I've seen Type R 0-60 numbers range from 6.5-sec to 7.2-sec and quarter mile times as fast as [email protected] to [email protected] To actually beat one driven by an "average" driver, you'll need to be in the mid to high 6-second range. Taking a second off the MX6s 0-60 time will require most of the available bolt ons: CAI, 65mm TB, headers, cat-back, UDP etc.

The thing with the Type R is that it's not easy to get it right as far as driving fast. You've got to really beat on it during launch to avoid bogging and, frankly, I think alot of owners would rather not do it. That's where you'll take him but if he's good with the gearbox, he'll be on you just before 60 comes up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
People at Superhonda.com are saying that i would win. They redline a lot higher, 8,400 to be exact but peak hp comes at 8,000 i think. Anybody ever raced one?

·
Registered
134 Posts
They're fast... Most people haven't driven or raced these cars, so there's a good chance that the people that you're talking to don't know what they're talking about. Also, like previously stated you most likely don't have anywhere near 200hp. The chips just don't help that much if at all. If you haven't gotten the chip yet I wouldn't do it. If you still think you will at least ask the people for a dyno plot showing that it will give you some extra ponies. They won't be able to do it, trust me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well they already approved it on a dyno chart, chip adds the high side of 18+hp on an mx6. Trust me it is right. Just somebody answer the question.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't know if the type R's have the same VTEC engine as the Integra GSR's, but if they do, I think you will be okay. My friend has a 2000 GSR and I'm not too impressed. He gets in my car and thinks it is a lot faster. We have never raced, but it seems like his car comes on really late. The thing is that it pulls for such a long time once it actually comes on (about 5000RPM). I think you can take the Type R, but not by much. And if you put this chip on, and it actually give you 18+HP, please send me a dyno plot.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
bigjeff said:
I don't know if the type R's have the same VTEC engine as the Integra GSR's, but if they do, I think you will be okay. My friend has a 2000 GSR and I'm not too impressed.
The GS-R has a 170HP DOHC VTEC 1.8L motor. The Type-R has a 195HP version of that motor and, even though power comes on quite high in the RPM range, the vehicle weight and gearing allow it to make use of it.

A stock GS-R is about the same to 60 as a stock PGT or stock MX6 V6. Take that GS-R, shed 200 pounds and add 25HP and you've got a pretty fast car (i.e. Type-R). You'd have to have a ton of bolt-on mods on a PGT/MX6 V6 to equal the speed of a Type R (assuming it was driven by an expert who's willing to beat the snot out of it.) I wager that most Type-R drivers aren't willing to beat their hardware that bad, will flub the launch and you'll have him to 40MPH or so. To 60, my money is on the Type R.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i beat GS-R's on the regular but i never tried to race a type-R. i'll race the next one i see. i DO know however, they are faster than our cars...IF THE DRIVER KNOWS HIS CAR!

the type-R has a very extreme sweet spot. more than any other hoda vtec motor(us spec). if the driver doesn't know where that is EXACTLY,and most dont, you will win. our cars are more driver friendly and more dummy friendly. we got power constantly on tap. nothing has to "kick in" or reach 6 grand to get power. the type-r has around 100lb-ft of torque under that. use it to your advantage if possible. you got one fifty sumthin STOCK.

by the way, what type of race? off the line at a light? 1/4 mi? or a parkway 130+mph blast?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dyno that superchip provides looks like bullshit to me, after checking it out on Mike's page. I bet that you can't get a real dyno from anybody besides the manufacturer that says you get any more than 3 hp xtra.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
_bullet_ride_ said:
The dyno that superchip provides looks like bullshit to me, after checking it out on Mike's page. I bet that you can't get a real dyno from anybody besides the manufacturer that says you get any more than 3 hp xtra.
Yep. I've tried and tried to get JET, for instance, to send me actual Dynojet plots showing these alleged gains and all I got was a classic runaround. Unfortunately, I erased all my email correspondence with them but the excuses ranged from "We can't find the plot" to "The guy who has the plot is on vacation". It was all just a big scham.

That Superchip plot is another example: where are the characteristics of the KL03 power deliver so evident in, say, this dyno plot? The VRIS points at 3250, 4250 and 6250, for example? It just looks so fake...

I think SCC provides the most compelling evidence of JETs work: Project Probe lost 10HP when a JET reprogramming was done. And I bet that JET claimed 18HP with that reprogramming job.

Someone should file a class-action lawsuit against these places for gross false advertising.

·
Registered
488 Posts
OK, since I drive both an MX-6 LS and Integra GSR on a regular basis here are the differences I've noticed.Off 5the line the MX-6 is much better every time, the Integra just doesn't have the torque you need for a great launch. Our power curve comes in much sooner at ~3000 rpm the Integra around ~4500 rpm. Once you pass 5500 rpm though the GSR keeps pulling but the MX-6 starts to lose a little bit, the GSR's 8000 rpm redline help out here. I actually like driving the GSR at 80 on the freeways because it'll pick up and go even in fifth at that speed the MX-6 is a little slower in the upper ranges.

All that said both cars are very close on the track, yes I've raced both. So this is with an identical driver. Take in to factory the weight reduction of the Type-R and the power boost I don't think your MX-6 will take it. Only reason you would is because most street driven Type-Rs are divren by people who don't want to push the engine that hard. A V-tech makes a lot of noise in the upper rpms and most people get scared of and back off the pedal so they won't hurt it.

As for JETs claims, I believe that claim is with an automatic not a stick. And if you are driving an ATX don't even expect to beat GSRs. Mazda just didn't make the best ATX transmition.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
i don't know about the Type R, but I raced my friend's GSR on the way home from the track. Not off the line but while cruising at 65mph on the Turnpike. We were side by side, then he took off. Iimmediatelly went after him and soon caught up and left hiim behind. That was a GSR. With a type R, I never raced one, but I definitely would have to say that it could probably lick us clean if it's driven right.

Ohh and by the way, If I added all of the horsepower that th emanufactures have told me I would get with the bolt ons that I have now, I would have an over 200hp MX6 :cool:

Just my $.02

·
Registered
257 Posts
i have to agree with greg for the most part. especially about the ATX. our cars loose a lot from an automatic. my boy has a 93LS ATX. i SPANK him any time we race. he even has an exhaust and i dont yet. i also agree that a GS-R FEELS faster. just like a turbo FEELS faster than a supercharger. its the "kick in" process that wakes you up that little bit more than say anice smooth V6.

however it's just a feeling. a good driver in a GS-R cannot beat a good driver in an MX-6. apples to apples as far as mods go, or even stock vs stock since hondas take well to bolt ons. i was test driving GS-Rs AND MX-6s when i was car shopping for the car i have now. off the line: MX-6 hands down. you have to rev the hell out of a GS-R to chirp 2nd and maybe 3rd. the stock MX-6 LS can do it if u work the clutch right. trust me. when i peeled out of the dealership on a test drive in my car, i went to the acura place ON THE TEST DRIVE to get back my deposit on a GS-R. and i havent regretted it since. that decision is validated every GS-R i beat. sorry for babbling =)
the mazda MX-6 shall soon dominate the world....=)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey,
As far as the Type-R is conserned, i think it would spank
the MX6. I drive a 4 banger 6, but me and my boy were racing the 2000 R on the way to NOPI at 145 mph, and they are fast!!! My boy owns a 2000 Celica GTS and we were pretty much side by side, untill we hit traffic, then my we went all out and started weaving in and out of lanes, Freaking crazzzzy. Shit, I am glad I wasn't driving, I was ready to piss my pants. HEHE. But they have really good handeling, and if they they are hooked up, they will definetly roll. We stoped and talked to the guy we messed with. He said he had headers and exhaust i think, and a stock suspension. But he was pretty cool, and admited he lost. It was funny, cause he asked my buddy if his ride was Turbo tweaked. HE HE, I wish. So don't mess with R's unless you got some power. Good Luck

Will (ToyMX6)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MX6 M Edition said:
Well they already approved it on a dyno chart, chip adds the high side of 18+hp on an mx6. Trust me it is right. Just somebody answer the question.
The dynos that are on the super chip page have been doctored to make them look more powerfull then they are. I have seen actual dynos and they only put out 3hp at the wheel.

MX-6 BOY

·
Registered
825 Posts
alls i got to say is if u rev your car to 8000 when racing u r a dumbass!!! hope you car last u through the next 2 months

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
cheerios165 said:
alls i got to say is if u bring up da thread dat is 4years dead then u r a dumbass!!
seriously, he had to dig REAL deep in the crevices of forgotten threads....

however i got to see mikes name again :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.