Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im pondering weather to buy a silver 1988 mx6-gt 5spd with 163 000km on it for 900 dollars (canadian) approx 500 U.S. i was wondering if thats a good deal and what should i should look for before buying it so i can make sure its worth buying... also what kinds of problems do these cars tend to have and hows the maintenance on them? any recalls and major problems that occur at this high of mileage? lately i wanna make sure im not buying a lemon so besides looking for all 3 VIN numbers what else should i check? thnx for the help...

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Yo, buy it before somebody else does. Sounds like a good deal to me. That's a lot of fun for $500. Maybe take it somewhere and have the turbo hooked up to a boost gauge if it doesn't have one already. I think stock psi is 12.3 or 12.5;) I would also make sure all the electric toys work like windows, sliding sunroof, etc. If that stuff doesn't work right, it can get annoying in a hurry. Check for leaky seals or water in the trunk. Having good tires helps this car a lot too. Oh, one more thing which a lot of people won't notice is the feel of the shifter. At that mileage you might want to replace the shifter link bushings. I just did it on mine and what a difference! Important if you want your transmission to last.

[Edited by 2Rusty on 05-08-2001 at 06:13 PM]

G

·
stock psi is 7.3. A problem with mine had when I first got it were 3 coolant hoses went in the first 2 weeks. It sat for a while b4 I bought it and I guess the hoses had to get used to the extreme heat the 2.2's put out. Make sure the rings and seals are ok. 1st Gen. GT's are notorious for burning oil too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Of course the things under the hood are important, but there's other things that are just as important too. Someone else added it's important to check the trunk, and it is. Pull up the carpet in the trunk and look around. Is the original carpeting in there and what does it look like? A good way to tell if the trunk leaks (or has been leaking previously) is to see if the original cardboard backing is on the carpet, that provides a level surface to your trunk. If it looks nasty, moldy, wrinkled, or it just has no rigidity to it at all, 99% chance that the trunk leaks. Also, while you're back there, look at the top of the rear strut towers. Rust certainly isn't a good thing here. There are metal caps on the strut towers, and they may or may not be rusted. If they're rusted, its not a deal breaker, water forces itself through the strut and can rust the caps, thats why they were put there, so they rust and not the surrounding supporting metal. Pull one of them off if you can (you're gonna need to take the trim off one side of the trunk) after you pried the cap off take a good look at it. If there's any rust around (outside) where the cap was on top of the wheelwell, LEAVE THIS CAR GO. Its structural rust, and its nearly impossible to repair so that it was as good as it was before. Dangerous, too, because the strut is attached to the body there and if it can possibly break through the rust...I dont know exactly how much vehicle control would be compromised (meaning i'm not sure if you'll be able to bring yourself to a stop safely without crashing into something) but I wouldn't want it to happen to me. Use common sense when it comes to this stuff, a leaky trunk isn't necessarily a deal breaker (it can be fixed pretty cheap), but if it's caused a lot of damage already, its trouble waiting to happen.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I could forgive a whole lot of leaky trunks and busted hoses for $500. I got my '88 GT for $5000, of course, that was because my financing was outrageous, the actual price of the car was like $3950 US.
I'd say go for it. And if you don't go for it, please email me at [email protected] and let me talk to the guy.

G

·
$500? I got mine for $400. Searously, my neighbor got it impounded and couldn't get it out. Instead of leting "the man" have it for nothing he signed the title over to me, and $400 dollars later I have a 88 mx6 gt. The turbo went out a week later, but $400 + $350 re-built turbo is still a good deal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ya, but isn't the point of getting a project car to choose some POS (Piece of [email protected]#t) and make it look like showroom quality. I mean, ya it has to be driveable but come on...$900, I wouldn't complain about [email protected]$t and just take the luck god gave you and work it. I bought my 89'er from my boss for $300. Right now it looks like crap and doesn't even run (because I ripped the whole engine out) but if you truely got what it takes to be the best then you won't complain about the price of the car or what's wrong with the car and just fix anything that is wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thnx guys...

Well i went today too check it out and it has 170 000km on it... also it has been sitting for a year but it still sounded pretty smooth... however when i turned the wheel i heard noises coming from the engine any idea what that could be? also it has a fair bit of rust and a small dent, but I LUV IT... however i dont know how it drives since i cant drive 5spd (dont laugh) so he wouldnt let me... thnx

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
heres the scoop!

I looked at it, theres rust all over the engine, when i turn the steering wheel i hear noises coming from the engine, i didnt here any hissing so i dont know if turbo works and the hand brake doesnt work... how much do u think i should pay him? (canadian plz)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts