Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all. I have an 88 MX6 that my wife just won't drive because it has a standard transmission.

I don't want to get rid of the car so I was wondering if it is possible to install an automatic instead.

If this can be done, what years and makes can I take the tranny from? As little modification as possible would be better.

Thanks for any info.

Shogun

·
Registered
379 Posts
GACK!!! Do NOT put an ATX in a manual-equipped 6! It has been well documented that the manual tranny for the first gen will last a very long time; in contrast, Mazda put out service bulletin after service bulletin on the slushbox because it was (and is) so terminally weak. If your wife doesn't want it, drive it yourself :D

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
You can put in an automatic. But I strongly suggest against it. The autos in these cars SUCK ASS. Whereas the manuals are very durable. It would be a LOT of work to do as well.

·
Registered
318 Posts
In all reality, it would be cheaper, and less of aheadache (maybe not, wear headphones) to just teach her to drive it. Its not that hard to learn, and its a valuable thing to know.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Please please please....

Don't convert it to ATX!!! After doing and paying for all that work the auto tranny will most likely fail at some point, and then you'll have to do it all over again (or install the old manual!). But hey, if this car is a turbo and you procedd with the conversion...I might like to buy the manual trans. from you!

Actually, here's a thought: You could probably buy an 88 auto. MX6 for the cost of converting your existing car to ATX. Decent ones can be found for 1800 or so.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I My self Like Automatic Its just because due to traffic I Kinda get sick of shifting up down up down all the time on a highway thats whay i bought my self a Automatic and it relief for myself . But dont get me wrong i still love standard It just depends on what your environment is like. Then deside !! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts