Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 626 with an atx, I raced my girlfriend in her 89 berretta Gt and killed her by 1.5 car lengths.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Spoon said:
I have an 87 626 with an atx, I raced my girlfriend in her 89 berretta Gt and killed her by 1.5 car lengths.
Good kill.. my friend has a 92 Beretta and they aren't the fastest.. but they tear up rice and there are much slower out there too... if they get you off guard they can be tough to beat...

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had one of those riding my tail the other night.. I was doing like 60 in a 55 zone.. He or she was swerving like a fool behind me (this isnt nascar, no need to warm up your tires). They tried to pass me so I kicked it down and got up to about 110 before I had to turn off.. They were WAYYYY back there.. and I had to turn right- so I started braking.. Well whoever was in the beretta was STILL trying to catch up and seen my brake lights but they couldn't get their piece stopped in time so they swerved into the oncoming lane (going thru an intersection) and about caused a wreck..

·
Registered
734 Posts
Astro-Z said:
I had one of those riding my tail the other night.. I was doing like 60 in a 55 zone.. He or she was swerving like a fool behind me (this isnt nascar, no need to warm up your tires). They tried to pass me so I kicked it down and got up to about 110 before I had to turn off.. They were WAYYYY back there.. and I had to turn right- so I started braking.. Well whoever was in the beretta was STILL trying to catch up and seen my brake lights but they couldn't get their piece stopped in time so they swerved into the oncoming lane (going thru an intersection) and about caused a wreck..
LOL.. It'd be funny if that was my friend I was talking about.. sounds like him a little.. he in Utah on a road trip....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's funny though, how a car with a little over 90 hp can beat a car with around 125, that has a five speed. Berrettas have a little pick-up but no top speed.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Did you say you have a 1987 626???

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes - 1987 626 DX ATX w/ CAD K&N Filter Charger, Fast Flow Thermostat. No Other real mods, except good skill at operating the auto tranny. I will post that in my signature

·
Registered
332 Posts
Did you say 3rd generation? I am just trying to get an idea of which are you have. Is it the body style from the mid eighties? The one with the 2.0 engine.

I'm not making any fun here cause I use to own a 1980 (1st gen) 626 coupe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 626 works like this
There were 3 generations before the MX6

1. (i dunno the exact date but it was in the seventies) The 626 was a rear wheel drive car

2. Then came the front wheel drive without fuel injection (roughly 85 hp out of the 2.0)

3. The 3rd Gen (which is mine) 1986-1987 was an electronic fuel injected engine which put out between 90 - 95 hp. (120 with turbo)

4. Then came the mx6 which is a two door 626 (all the 626 is, is the 4 door version)

The 2.0 is a reliable engine, it just isn't all that powerfull.

The body style is nearly the same as the early 80's up to the late eighties.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Spoon,

I hate to tell you this but the 86-87 was the same body style at the 83-85. Just a more powerful engine. That does not make it a 3rd gen 626. It is still a 2nd gen.

The first gen 626 came out in 79 and ran through 82. It was a rear wheel drive car and came in 2dr and 4dr and had a 2.0 carborated engine with 82HP.

The 2nd generation came out in 83 and ran through 87. That is the FWD car you refer to. In 86, the same engine was used as in earlier 2nd gen but had more HP. That alone does not make it a 3rd gen 626.

I have been driving Mazdas all my life. I bought an 80 2dr 626 in 86. My sister bought a 79 2dr 626 new in 79 and my parents bought a 81 4dr 626 in 81. I later bought and still have a 91 1st gen MX6.

Unless you can provide a photo to correct me, there were only 2 generation 626 prior to the MX6 coming out in 88.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rbodeman:

Yes, you are right, but I refer to mine as a third gen, because they changed a few important things. Including the Fuel injection system, added a 4 speed EC-AT. Many publications refer to the 86-87 years as a generation of there own. Body styling changes don't have to be evident for thier to be a generation change.

Thats just my opinion though

G

·
Spoon- Every car I've ever known has a "new generation" only after a MAJOR body modification. Otherwise it's just an update or a 19xx.5 model.

If you want to be technical the mx6 existed before 88. It was called a 626GT and for the new generation in 88 they changed the name as well as the body.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One question then I will drop the subject, but how could you say that in 88 there was a major body renovation. It didn't change that much. The engine changed.

·
Registered
332 Posts
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!??!? 1988 there was a complete body change. The 626 and MX6 in 1988 look absolutely nothing like the 1987 626. The engine was changed also to a 2.2 from a 2.0. Different platform also. This was the year the Probe was introduced also as the sister car to the MX6 and was evetually suppose to become the replacement of the Mustang.

My sugession is to know what you are talking about before you make a statement.

Sorry to be so rude but once you said the 1988 626/MX6 was no differnt than the 1987 626, I had to step in.

G

·
If it didn't change that much in 88, why aren't most 88 body parts exact replacements for 87's? Why is there a different interior? The motor is just one more differemce.

Here's an american example of generation change: The Corvette. The 4th generation corvette was introduced in march 1983 as an 84 model. The car was pretty much unchanged for the next 6 years. In 90, they completely redid the interior. In 91, they redid some of the body. In 92, they redesigned the motor for the first time since 1955. So by 92, the 'vette had a new interior, new engine, and updated body (not changed, updated). Does this mean the next generation vette came out in '92? No. Every one knows it was changed in '97. That's why it's called a C5 from 97 & up. The Generation usually changes when the body/chassis changes and/or when more than 65% of the entire car changes. Aleast that's what I've always been told.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I think this argument is going a little extreme. The guy said it was his opinion of what he calls a generation change.

I don't really care, but most people call a Major body change a generation change, but I would be somewhat prone to call a car that has the same body style, completely different motor a new generation. I don't think that there is a concrete definition of what a merits a generation in cars. If there is, someone post it, and the source of the definition.

Now if it was the same motor, and got minor modifications, I wouldn't call it a new generation, but if it was moved from like a 2.0 to a 2.2 motor--that would be a grey area, and if someone wanted to call it a new generation, what's the biggie. But no reason to get all huffy and puffy about it.

Do the factories term them like that? Cause if they do--I'd go by the factory "named" generation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Exactly how I feel jiffy.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Fine go by the factory or magazine or any other term genration and if you do then there were only two generations of 626s before the 1988 626/MX6 came on the scene.

No trying to create any fights over this whole thing. Its just that statement that the 1987 and 1988 were the same car pushed me past the line. Must have been a bad day at work for me. LOL.

All us 626 & MX6 guys must stick together.

PEACE!!

G

·
In my last post, I stated what is on average the gauge that most people in the auto industry use as a guide to switching generations. I've been in the auto business for about a decade now and that's what I've always been told.

Going from 2.0 liters to 2.2 liters is not always an engine change. It can be the same engine just bored out or stroked. Likewise switching from a carb to throttle body injection or multi point injection doesn't change an engine.

All of the old car ads and guides that I've seen refer to the 88 as an all new car(626/mx6). Nothing similar for the 86 or 87 model year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts