Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've read a bunch of post, and I'm still confused. Dorman shows one for a 1988 GT...the same part number Rock Auto shows for a 1990 Probe GT, but not a 1990 MX-6 GT?! Other than the whole issue with early 1988 small cranks, shouldn't they all be the same? They are all 2.2 turbo motors. My alternator has gone bad and taken out the harmonic balancer. I've ordered an alternator, but haven't ordered a balancer because...well...it just happened yesterday coming home from work. I haven't talked to Mazda yet, but I really need one sooner than they could possibly get one. It wouldn't be such an issue, but my truck went down so I was driving the car. Now, I'm down to the motorcycle and we've had nothing but rain..LOTS of rain and now cold and maybe snow tomorrow. I don't have a problem riding in rain, but I draw the line at snow or freezing precipitation..

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
1988 small cranks?
The utility pulley doesn't actually fit over the crank end, it bolts to the lower timing pulley with 6 m6 bolts.
All F2/F2T utility pulley's are the same.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That's what I figured, but it's still confusing. I toured the plant where the MX-6/Probes were built back in the day (1989) and they all come down the same line and get the same guts but modern parts people only know what the computer says. That pulley from the dealer is $180 bucks and that's discounted. Guess I'll try my luck on the Dorman part..

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, after calling the parts guy back the Dorman product was going to cost me $144 and was special order. Meaning it was going to take almost 2 weeks to get! WTF? So, i ordered it from Mazda. Same dealer I ordered my window switch from last year. All Factory Mazda Parts in Daytona, Florida. Discounted price $178.62...plus shipping. ouch
I guess I'll try and fix my truck, or just ride the bike in the cold. The joys of owning odd vehicles. ( I also own a 1982 Yamaha 650 Seca Turbo ) Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Thanks. That's what I figured, but it's still confusing. I toured the plant where the MX-6/Probes were built back in the day (1989) and they all come down the same line and get the same guts but modern parts people only know what the computer says. That pulley from the dealer is $180 bucks and that's discounted. Guess I'll try my luck on the Dorman part..
Since 1998 I have bought a lot of 626/Mx6/probes (88-92), but the first MX6GT I bought is the only MX6 I have ever seen that was built in Japan.

Well 144$ for dorman vs 178.62$ for Factory Mazda is a no brainer, in my experience the original parts for these cars no mater the age are better than the new replacements, for example the water pump, on one of my rebuilds I bought a new water pump because I am an idiot, I took the complete steel pulley and impeller factory water pump that will last for ever off the engine and I put on a brand new water pump with metal pulley and plastic impeller that lasted about 5 weeks before the impeller came off the shaft and the water pump pulley came through the timing cover. Control arms, aftermarket control arms are made of thinner/lower quality metal than factory originals, best to reuse the original control arms and install front moog control arm bushing front and rear, the front bushing sits in a metal sleeve, has less rubber and resist torsion better than the rear rubber bushings. I have to weld the link kit cup area on new control arms or the link kits rip the control arm apart, 32 year old rusted control arms hold up better.
I am envisioning driving with the Dorman utility pulley and suddenly hearing a loud squealing under the hood, the charge and alternator light come on in the dash and power steering is gone, then a thump sound as the outer section of the pulley slides out and hits the lower front frame.

My advice installing the pulley is to use Locktite on the 6 bolts and torque them to factory specs, the small m6 bolts when under tension from over torquing tend to shear off during heavy acceleration. Because the torque specs for these bolts are so low (109 in-lb /9.08 ft-lb to 152 in-lb /12.66 ft-lb) any motor mount stiffening or suspension improvements or hard driving or rough roads have a tendency to loosen the utility pulley bolts.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, that's what happened to my factory pulley, it just went. To be fair, I've had an issue with the alternator ( I thought is was my worn out AC compressor. ) when it was cold, it squealed and screeched like a dying cat. It was so bad, it was causing the motor to momentarily stop. Until it warmed up, like a bearing. Rain made it worse and last for longer periods. After a few weeks of getting worse, it broke. The bad part is my truck with the Vortec 350 had the intake gasket finally let go so I parked it and was driving the car. Now here in Tennessee, we've had LOTS of rain, flooding, cold and snow. Freezing rain is not fun on the motorcycle so I've had to bum rides to work. The car is an easy fix, but I won't have parts until next week. The truck will be an all day or two job as I live in an apartment and have to work in the parking lot. Sunday will be 60 degrees, but I need to start tomorrow so I have time to spare but tomorrow is only going to be 44 when it stops raining or snowing. I'm house hunting, so I'm trying to save money until I can close on something, but it's not looking promising these days..

·
Registered
2 Posts
There's a guy in the US selling lightweight pulleys for 150USD on Facebook :)
Just to let you know

1 - 8 of 8 Posts