Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to find out the horse power on a 91 MX-6 LX, I can find it for the turbo's all over the place but I cant find it for a non turbo 2.2L. If anyone could help me out that would be great. Also I would like to know what mods I can do to the car that will actually make a difference. It doesnt have to be a huge increase in horse power I am just looking for some things that I can do. Any help that I can get would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
The LX's have 110 horsepower stock, but with some mods there's still hope for us LX'ers. Remember folks, the beauty of this car is the design, not the turbo.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Try the basics first, K&N filter should be good for up to 10 hp. An exhaust is always nice. Advance the timing some, but, be careful, advance it too much and you'll start detonating and the car might overheat. If advancing the timing, keep a close eye on the temp gauge for a while.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Go for suspension first. All of the mods I have done have made small differences, but nothing huge. The car breathes better in the upper part of the RPM band, but power is mostly from 3200-5400 RPM. Past that is kind of useless. The strut/spring combo made the biggest diference in the car's personality. I want to go with a front strut tower brace nest, as the slow steering response is getting annoyng, especially when compard to my RX7 which has imediate stering response, even with 180,000 miles on the original struts.
Also, our engines aremore about low/mid range torque then high end hp. The engine was designed that way with the long stroke.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
They've got 110hp but it's the 130 ft-lbs of torque at 3krpm that gets em movin so well.

·
Registered
405 Posts
TexasMX6GT said:
Try the basics first, K&N filter should be good for up to 10 hp. .
i think ten is a little high. maybe like 2 or 3. and that is with cold air induction. if you just put a filter on you are losing power, b/c of the extreme heat under the hood.

·
Registered
666 Posts
You may be right, I'm probably thinking of total with exhaust. Of course, then again, I'm a turbo guy and know jack about what gains you can get on the N/A engines.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Horsepower?

I've been told that the horsepower ratings for the MX-6 was underrated for insurance purposes. Normally aspirated is 110 and Turbo is 145. I've read that the Turbo actually has 168 HP, but not sure about normally aspirated. As far as gaining horsepower, you may want to invest into some iridium plugs. I've read they don't require high voltages and don't break down like platinum do, but @ $58.00 for a set of four, they had better be good..If you're interested here is a link to the only place I could find them on the internet.........http://www.autocarparts.com/search/...del=19&trim=974&cat=Engine&subcat=Spark Plugs

And here is a Denso link if you want to read about these plugs.......http://www.denso.co.jp/PLUG/iridium-e/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts