Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 1992 mx6 GT. Not a bad car to just toss around in so this one is for my GF. Anyways, was playing with the cruise control switch, and all it seems to do is light up the security light on the dashboard. The other problem is that the passenger door will not lock/unlock with the drivers so that may be why the security system is not being set. Back to the cruise, I do not think that the security light should be going on, also it seems that the button on the end of the stick is pushed in all the way, and has no play at all, is this right for the 90-92 cruise controls?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Very interesting... The security light should not be coming on. On the '90+, the cruise main switch is a soft-switch and when pushed "on" the "cruise main" light illuminates on the instrument cluster. It's just to the right of the fuel light. Anyway, the stalk is a bit differnet too. There is no button on the end of the stalk. Just a twist up/twist down motion. Twist up to resume/accel, twist down to coast/set (I think, fuzzy memory :)). James, lemme ask you. Where's the check engine light on this car? It should be in the RPM guage, if not, then I'd say this car has some parts from an '88-'89. I'll take some pics of my interior setup if it helps you.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so there is no button on the end of the stalk. Thats good. On the other hand the security light is still on. There is a check engine light on the bottom part of the tach. There is also a CHECK light with a picture of an engine in it below on the bottom portion also. This comes on till you close the door and the auto seatbelts retract. Weird. Not sure why when selecting cruise the security light goes on, working on it.

In what position is it where the cruise light comes on in this dash? When I get a chance I will start taking pictures.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
The cruise light just to the right of the low fuel light. However it's not visible until until it's on. It's not "silk screened" onto the surface. And the light that stays on until the seatbelts retract is actually supposed to be the "belts" light. It sounds lke part of the cluster is from an '88-'89, wheras the guages themselves are the correct '90+ guages. I'll take a pic of mine, and try to have all the lights illuminated when I get home.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, now that sounds weird and could be nasty. So the guages and this part are seperate? Why would they be changed.... The only thing I can think of is the result of tampering with the millage?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anarchyx34,

Does your car have the dimmer effect when you close the doors? I have to check this on the 92, but I thought that was somehow tied into security and such. Figured it would be something to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it sure looks like my cruise works. For some reason I have the lower portion of the pannel from a 88-92 MX6 626 and the guages from my car. Anyone know what it would take to switch it back once I get the correct part? Why someone did this to begin with I have no idea.

·
Registered
261 Posts
thats a little off... you should only have ONE check engine light... It may be that your mileage was tampered with... it seems that you have the guages for the right car but the light template from an older model... hmmmmmmm....

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
mazda-head said:
thats a little off... you should only have ONE check engine light... It may be that your mileage was tampered with... it seems that you have the guages for the right car but the light template from an older model... hmmmmmmm....

That is what I was thinking. Why someone would do this is beyond me though. Anyway, yeah, my interior lights dim away when I shut the door. It is a feature tied into the CPU, which also controls the security system and the automatic belts. It's also the thing that makes that freaking obnoxious "beeeeepp!!" when the auto seatbelts are doing thier thing. I wish I could disable that.

·
Registered
405 Posts
let me guess it is a 92 with 40k on her? that really sux man, if it turns out that the odometer is wrong, I do believe that is fraud. i would have no idea what you do about that.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
do all the mx6 have the cruise light? mine does not light up if i do have one. that cluster is not the same as mine, i have an 89. my check engine light is in the bottom bank with the rest of em. i see yours is in the tach, strange.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey Anarchy,

What causes your security light to come on?? Do you have a factory alarm system or something??? Or does it come on when the doors are locked... ?????

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
My factory security system, if I even have one, dosent work. All I know is that the light comes one when I use the key to unlock the driver' door, unlock the rear hatch with the key, or pop the hood. But that's about all it does. No big deal though, since I installed a nice Avital Phoenix2 alarm.

·
Registered
449 Posts
It could be possible that the cluster's casing got busted (cracked, maybe) one time and they replaced it with one from a wrecking yard.

For that beeeep sound, if you dig out the actual CPU, not ECU, there should be a nickel-sized 'speaker' like the ones found on modems and many other electronics. If you tape it over it should be quieter or silenced. The CPU is located just above the 'joint box' (whole bunch of wiring connects into it under the dash (driver side)) it should be a semi-clear or white box. Open it the speaker should be in there. The thing isn't a CPU by today's standards but that is what they called it.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, took apart the cluster yesterday. Found out that they replaced the glass but the rest of the insturments are stock. Don't know why they didn't replace the lights with the correct ones... This car is about 40% torn down for cleaning and rebuild.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts