Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people. I have just bought an MX-6 automatic and I'm trying to do a gearbox oil change. I have read that the best way to do this is to take the oil cooler lines off the cooler, place the return line into a bucket of fresh oil and place the out line into an empty bucket.

Sounds great to me but we can't get it to work! We had to extend the oil lines using plastic pipe and the gearbox simply would not draw up the new oil, even when we placed the bucket on a 4' high crate and siphoned some oil down to the end of the teturn pipe. It did throw out some old oil though from the out line. The volume was about the same as if you'd taken the plug out from the bottom of the gearbox.

Do you have to force the oil down the new lines or otherwise prime the hoses, or is there something obvious we're missing? We've never had an automatic car before and they are not common in the UK so knowledge which might be taken for granted in the States would be new to us.

regards,

Ian & Richard C

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
ATX fluid replacement

I've also read of this method on Probe Talk's "A-Team" forum, which is dedicated to the Probe/Mazda equipped automatic transaxle.
Personally, I prefer to remove the tranny's drain pan. That way, you also can replace the filter and check the magnet for metallic sediment.
Apparently, you're getting air trapped while in your attempt to circulate the fluid. Utilizing the tranny's pump during this procedure seems like a feasible theory, but I still rely upon the old proven gravity drain. Works for me.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MX-6 automatic gearbox fluid change

Hello, thanks for your reply,

We did take the drain pan off last week and treated the ATX to a filter change. There are two swarf magnets in there which were a little mucky and we cleaned those too. Overall, though, the ATX looks very clean, especially considering it's done 155000 miles!

Basically we are going to carry on filling and draining until 9 litres of new oil has gone in as by that stage we should have diluted the old oil sufficiently to regard it as new.

My local Mazda dealer has been quite helpful and confirms this is the method they use.

regards,

Ian & Richard C

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Re: MX-6 automatic gearbox fluid change

Ian F Chequer said:
Overall, though, the ATX looks very clean, especially considering it's done 155000 miles!

@ 155k you're very fortunate to have a relatively "clean" looking tranny. The 2nd gen '93 & up Mazdas equipped with the automatic transaxle have been notoriously problematic. Some going bad and replaced at less than half of your car's mileage.

Apparently the car and tranny have been well maintained. A strong suggestion is to install an aftermarket trans-fluid cooler for extended longevity.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
longevity of automatic transmissions

I've heard lots of different stories. Mazda recommend an ATX fluid change every 2 years or 24000 miles, but also state that this service interval should be halved if the car is used in hot weather (>30 degrees C)or for short journeys (<5 miles). I've also heard that the fluid starts to deteriorate in any case after 12000 miles. At the other extreme some say the fluid is okay for up to 60000 miles. I'm not sure what to think (apart from the fact that someone who never drives more than 5 miles in their MX-6 would be better off with a Mini!).

One of the mechanics at the Mazda dealer has owned an MX6 automatic for 4 years and he doesn't consider the ATX to be problematic unless it's neglected. Unfortunately, most are, because of the time required to do a complete oil and filter change. The CD4E transmission which is fitted to 2 litre cars was dreamed up by Ford and apparently this gives many problems, but the V6 engine has the better (Mazda designed) ATX. (The vast majority of British MX-6s are fitted with the V6)

Automatic cars are about as common in the UK as manuals are in the States. Generally, people don't know how to service them and don't bother, although I do concede some autoboxes seem to play up regardless of how much they're pampered.

There is an oil cooler fitted, but some people think it's too small. However, I don't think there is the space behind the front bumper to fit a significantly bigger one. Most of the journeys I do tend to be long motorway ones so the oil cooler spends its working life well and truly cooled. I intend to change the fluid again after another 12000 miles.

have a good one.

Ian Chequer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts